My first ever fine!

As the title says, I have been tugged today on the M1 Northbound by 2 very nice traffic officers for an unreadable, filthy road grime covered rear number plate.

This “offence” has cost me the grand total of a £30 fixed penalty.

It will be dealt with by my employers after I pointed out that they do not provide any wash facilities (not even a bucket and brush) at our depot to clean number plates that are very often as high, or higher than 12’. So how do you guys address this potentially wallet emptying problem?

I have just emailed SYP thanking them for a most memorable experience, and pointing out that this is a problem that we face everyday in filthy weather conditions, not that they will give a ■■■■.

Cheers

Paul

its the drivers responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before they drive it out of the yard, if its not DEFECT it, don`t drive it

to be honest i just check ive got one, but i must admit the shunters do go out of their way to put the trucks through the wash after pulling them off the bays so 99% of the time there nice and clean
think you were unlucky mate

We don’t have ANY wash facilities whatsoever! Hence they are forking out the 30 quid.

cant they get a account somewhere , we used to have one at the truckwash behind the stockyard , used to call in on the way back from manchester .

It surprises me that more drives don’t get done for not having a number plate on the trailer :confused:

paul261267:
We don’t have ANY wash facilities whatsoever! Hence they are forking out the 30 quid.

Does this mean the lights, mirrors and windows are in the same condition as the number plate, or do you clean them?

paul261267:
As the title says, I have been tugged today on the M1 Northbound by 2 very nice traffic officers for an unreadable, filthy road grime covered rear number plate.
This “offence” has cost me the grand total of a £30 fixed penalty.

You cant win with the ‘Old Bill’. One of our drivers was threatened with a similar fine for cleaning his mirrors. OK he was on the hard shoulder of the slip road (not the main carriageway). He was told to ‘go to the next services to clean them,or I’ll do you’ !!!
Good job he didnt wipe anyone out (raining,windy, cloudy, cars without lights etc) enroute to clean them. I think it would have been safer to clean them. Anyway, over zealous cops need to get a life and start using their common sense.
I just wish they were as keen when my car got nicked,when my Grandparents got burgled, when my wife was robbed, when my Mum had her bag nicked x2,when my mate got all his tools nicked from his van, when my Nan had all her Yorkshire Stone nicked out of her back yard, when my curtains were slashed and stuff nicked,when one of our drivers was threatened with a gun and another a knife, when the In-Laws were burgled etc etc.
All the above resulted in NO ARRESTS/NO CONVICTIONS.
By the way, I recently got done for having tinted windows too dark on my van.(Well, they have to make up the targets somehow- dirty number plates etc make it look like they are actually doing something). I got done once for no seatbelt in a 7.5 tonner…
Another thing while I’m on a rant. The Police (West York,North Yorks,Greater Manchester)all know the identity of the guy who nicked my car and have never even questioned him.(career criminal so arresting him for the minor offence of nicking my car mustn’t be worth it-he even got away with being Gatso’d).
HAVE A NICE DAY.

I was driving in Germany once and i bribed i german copper.

He measured the distance between the headboard of the trailor and my cab ans said in German “Der Abstand zwischen ihrem Anhänger und dem Fahrerraum ist zu groß. Sie müssen eine Strafe von 500 € zahlen.”

Which means in english (cos i speak perfect German) The distance bewtween your cab and trailor is too big… and you must pay 500 euro.

I told him to go ■■■■ himself !!!

With that he wrote €30 on the palm of his hand and said " coffee"

I took him up on that … and before to long i was on my merry way again !!

So if you drive to Germany in the NRW area . Your trailor must be coupüled as close as humanlly possible!!

It says ERF not RAF:
Well, they have to make up the targets somehow- dirty number plates etc make it look like they are actually doing something). I got done once for no seatbelt in a 7.5 tonner…

I know all about targets mate! I used to work for the plod not all that long ago.

I also know for a fact that if the numbers are low (tickets, warning letters etc) towards the end of the month they will go balls out to hit that all important figure that’s been set.

Oh and Coffee, in answer to your question. I wipe the lights everyday, and perform all my daily checks, daily. As mentioned previously though my company will be forking out for this fine anyway. I am just warning all you guys to be aware that SYP are on a mission to unload your wallets.

As for wash facilities, ■■■■ all will get done about it cos they have lost the contract…

It doesn’t take much to wipe the number plate with your gloves,when you attach it to the trailer,as it must have been dirty prior to you putting it on,or the trailer lights for that matter,and while I agree the coppers usually have nothing better to do,I’m afraid I can’t sympathise with you.

If your company pay up,then they need to think long and hard about some sort of cleaning facility,if they refuse,as it is YOUR responsibility to make sure they are clean,then be more careful next time.

Lesson learnt there I think.

Ken.

paul261267:
I am just warning all you guys to be aware that SYP are on a mission to unload your wallets.

It was South Yorks threatening my mate (mirrors).

‘’‘’‘’‘’‘THE ONLY GOOD COPS ARE STARSKY AND HUTCH’‘’‘’‘’
‘’‘’‘’‘’‘AND THEY DRIVE A PROPER POLICE CAR’‘’‘’‘’’

Quinny, my “trailer” was a 7.5 ton rigid.box body. The plate is fixed on the top right of the box at 12’ high…i.e with no real, safe way of reaching it.

Fair point Paul,but could it not be reached by standing on the back of the vehicle?

Ken.

Erm fair point Ken.

But taking into account all the health and safety crap these days? I think not!

And a quick edit to my last, we have been informed that we’re not supposed to be climbing onto the backs of our wagons. Drives me potty all these H+S rules, makes you wonder how we do the job at all!

The 7.5 tonner I was using had a tail lift, but before someone invariably says use that to clean the plate…no can do, not been trained to use it…

I too was going to point out the obvious like Neil and Ken have done, but then I realised the plate is 12’ up in the air with no easy way of reaching it so you can’t knock the guy really.

However, a £1 bucket and mop and some water would quickly solve that problem, and you wouldn’t be able to use H&S as an excuse then! :bulb:

that’ll make an interesting episode of police,camera,action… :unamused:
they can get ‘sierra yankee 99’ out…lol.

Couldn’t you buy a plastic bucket to use to wash the number plate and hang it on the front bumper like the “Middle East Boys” used to do? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hold on is it not part of the you having a O licence , that you must have ,a clean and safe fleet ■■?
it must be in ,surely ■■?