My First Days C & E Training

Hi all

I arrived at the airfield in Surrey this morning full of anticpation of the days training, Already met the instructors as this was the same company that did my class two training.

First of all I was the brief about the tractor unit an ERF, as it was the unit had just been delivered to the training centre, so this was new ground for both instructor and trainee.
Sitting behind the wheel and the shock sunk in at the shere length of this beast. then it was time to have a cruise around the block on the open highways.

Well we got back to the airfield without clipping any kerbs or hitting anything, so thats a bonus.

When back @ the airfield, Kevin my instructor decided that we were going to spend the first day doing the uncoupling and re coupling procedure and start teaching the reversing exercise.

Thanks to what I have see on here, the uncoupling and re coupling when very well, the only issue that I have was our ERF was a ■■■■■ when engaging reverse gear…
Seems to have problems with that part of this morning, but its a different truck to my class two DAF so I should master it by the end of the week.

Then I was up for the reversing exercise, and Im gonna say that it is not as easy as it looks !!!
Taking in to account of what I had read on here, me thinks I was trying to hard. Some how I couldnt gauge the fact that you steer opposite to what the trailers doing.
Plus the added fact that I was over steering at some points and over compensating.

After an hour or so, I seem to get the basic’s of the reversing, but me thinks we will be visiting that again
The part that I need to master is the getting it linedup perfect for the garage, seem to be cutting somewhat to tight near the cones
Kevin keeps telling me to use the shunt forward if I need to line up, their’s nothing wrong with that.

To morrow im off on the open roads to get some driving under my belt, we shall see if I hit anything or clip some kerbs…