my dad Phil

My dad starting driving in the mid 70’s for Richard Evans, based in Dagenham, whose fleet was Leyland Mandators and Marathons some were beige and some were black and white, after that he had an ERF in blue. He ran to Italy, France mainly although there were runs to Switzerland and Germany. Sometime in the 80’s he got with Graham Manchester and was running a Leyland Roadtrain, mostly to Macon for wine (including beaujolly) with Deltank. In '85 he got a new 142 in silver, although the wine runs finished it was now groupage, computer parts to Portugal, returning with potatoes, mixed freight to Italy, leather goods on the return. even a helicopter at one point.He came off the continental for a long while but returned with Arcade Automotive around the turn of the century.
I post all this because he died a few years ago and although I did a lot of trips with him during school holidays, my memories are getting fuzzy and I would love to know if there are any of the ‘old school’ still out there. I know my dads pal, Martin, is still an owner operator. I can remember some of the drivers names from that time and I do have some pics of the ‘old man’ and some of his vehicles. It all led me to becoming a trucker myself, although it’s not as romantic as I remember…

Get some of your pic’s on here then lad, and also tell of the names you can recall, maybe just maybe somebody will remember your Old Chap and have some tales to tell.

Steve.

Hullo Willywombat,
Yes as Steve said, try to post a few of the photos, I’m sure you will get a good response. I may also remember your Dad (R.I.P.), as I used to see Graham Manchester quite a bit… I remember when he got that first Roadtrain, it was the first one I’d seen. He was the Grandson of Alfred Manchester, the tanker bloke, with those Purple and Yellow Crusaders. He was also the bloke that set up the Paging system for Drivers in Dover.
Archie.

Wombat, somewhere there are pictures of Phil standing in the front of one the French registered Leyland T45s that Graham used to run into France. All taken at Blackheath. If I find them along with all the other Alfred Manchester memorabilia including a video with who I presume is you sitting in said Scania 142 in Greenwich.

Z

Archie Paice:
Hullo Willywombat,
Yes as Steve said, try to post a few of the photos, I’m sure you will get a good response. I may also remember your Dad (R.I.P.), as I used to see Graham Manchester quite a bit… I remember when he got that first Roadtrain, it was the first one I’d seen. He was the Grandson of Alfred Manchester, the tanker bloke, with those Purple and Yellow Crusaders. He was also the bloke that set up the Paging system for Drivers in Dover.
Archie.

“Great grandson” so records show!

Z

If it’s the same Richard Evans I knew,he was the son of Albert Evans of Regent Transport fame on Ripple Road Barking,who ran the all AEC fleet and who I worked for out of Sheffield depot 1970-1979.
A couple of photos which I bought off the net…

Sleeper cabbed Mandator with a Derby/Notts reg.

And a Marathon with a Deltank

Willywombat,do you know if Richard Evans is still around as I would like to contact him.Both photos taken at Barking.

willywombat:
My dad starting driving in the mid 70’s for Richard Evans, based in Dagenham, whose fleet was Leyland Mandators and Marathons some were beige and some were black and white, after that he had an ERF in blue. He ran to Italy, France mainly although there were runs to Switzerland and Germany. Sometime in the 80’s he got with Graham Manchester and was running a Leyland Roadtrain, mostly to Macon for wine (including beaujolly) with Deltank. In '85 he got a new 142 in silver, although the wine runs finished it was now groupage, computer parts to Portugal, returning with potatoes, mixed freight to Italy, leather goods on the return. even a helicopter at one point.He came off the continental for a long while but returned with Arcade Automotive around the turn of the century.
I post all this because he died a few years ago and although I did a lot of trips with him during school holidays, my memories are getting fuzzy and I would love to know if there are any of the ‘old school’ still out there. I know my dads pal, Martin, is still an owner operator. I can remember some of the drivers names from that time and I do have some pics of the ‘old man’ and some of his vehicles. It all led me to becoming a trucker myself, although it’s not as romantic as I remember…

Wombat,

here you go.

looks like wombat is not interested in this thread why start it looking for info then people post it then not bother commenting :roll:

bradfordlad9999:
looks like wombat is not interested in this thread why start it looking for info then people post it then not bother commenting :roll:

I were thinking the same,unless his pc is goosed?

sorry for the delay responding. those photos are amazing, it is my dad. I have that photo too
the AEC, I’ve a pic of my dad in front of it. Richards old yard is now a builders merchant, I have no idea if he is still alive or where he may be. I shall ask my mum, she may have an idea.

I’m sorry I haven’t posted any pics, I can’t figure how to on this site, ongoing…!

yes Archie, Don Manchester was Grahams father, I remember my dad picking up a helicopter for him, in the 142 and a silver stepframe tilt with Dons name on, and the video Zippy, if it’s the one I remember, it was shot at Grahams yard, which used to be where the 02 now stands.

I posted because I am interested, I’m chuffed to bits people still remember my pops, thanks fellas.

Keep on Truckin’!

how do you post pics…? I’ve had isssues!

I’ll get mine on eventually.

1.Post reply
2 Upload att
3 Browse, choose the photo you want (provided you have them on your comp)
4 Open file
5 Add the file. And that`s it.

Phil, about 14/15. my grandad worked for John Hudson. Fuel tankers I believe.

my grandad and his vehicle, I think it’s an old Foden. I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

I’ve got to alter file extensions but there are more pics to come…

Close willywombat it was built by one of the Foden family.But its an ERF
One or two more here for you of the Hudson fleet maybe your Grandad drove one of these at some point.
VS01850.jpg
VS02351.jpg
HuJ0542.jpg

an older one…

some good john hudson samuel williams fotos here…viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41329