My Canadian Class 1

Hi folks, thought I’d give you a quick update as I’ve not posted for a while.
I emigrated to Calgary, Canada in February of this year.
Having spoken to and met up with Big Jon, I decided to go for my Class 1.
I booked a 22 hr course, which included 20 hrs driving time, my PDIC course (professional drivers improvement course), my airbrake course and the road test. Prior to this I took my knowledge test and had a medical.
Everything went great, passed all courses and my road test with no de merits. How chuffed am I.
So im now the proud owner my Canadian Class 1 licence.
The main difference in the trucks other than the length is the crash boxes and double clutching to change gears. Practice will make perfect I guess.
Anyway that’s my story upto now.
Take care guys n gals

Well done steab, remember to post a write up with plenty of pics when you get back from your first trip. Good luck.
:smiley:

Well done on getting your licence.

Quick question on the Crash box.
For the test are you expected to double de-clutch or can you do clutchless gear changes or is this something that drivers do once they’ve passed thier tests. :smiley:

Double declutch on the test,afterwards you can practice without the clutch.On the 18 speed Eatons it’s relatively easy to get used to,and when mastered is a lovely box to use.Currently driving 9 and 18 speed Eatons,plus the 10 speed Spicer which is a total pig ,oh well the longest trip I do is less than 3 km nowadays so wtf.

Glad to hear you went for and passed your Class 1 Steve :slight_smile:

Our Freightliners have a 10 speed Eaton box, which is really nice to drive, Gears change smoothly without having to use the clutch, sometimes if im getting a little tired, I will make some occasional noise when shifting gears, but im sure time will make that happen less and less.

Getting 0 demerits on your test is excellent btw :slight_smile: I ended up with 30 on my test, mainly for gears lol

Well done chap nice one :smiley:

BigJon:
Getting 0 demerits on your test is excellent btw :slight_smile: I ended up with 30 on my test, mainly for gears lol

What is the cut off for points to pass/fail the test?

Thanks for the congrats folks. I’ve not tried the clutchless changes yet, though once i find work I’ll ask how it’s done.
The fail mark is 50 demerits. The demerits are either in units of 5 or 10 demerit points depending on the severity of the ■■■■ up.
As in the uk, if it’s a serious fault it’s an instant fail.
Also if you make a serious error on the pre trip part of the test, you won’t get out onto the road.
The road part i would say is easier than in the uk, as is the reverse, but the pretrip is definately more intense than the uk test.