My C+E diary

Thanks everyone, to be honest jennie it really has not sunk in yet, as i am now back in the realworld of unemployment again, next on the hitlist will probably be ADR, then i will maybe make a start on some DCPC training depending on funds.

Have you tried agency route u can get ■■■■ work but money in ya pocket till somat comes along if you google a site called indeed job search you can input your location and how far you are willing to travel and get an almost daily email of current vaccancies might be worth a shot , the good news is you have class 1 now ur in the bendy club so instantly twice employable
go get em kiddo
Jx

DanT_Sxi:
Congrats on the pass, You didnt happen to pass Wetherby Racecourse on Wednesday at around 2pm did you?

I saw the truck and thought someone might post on here.

Im looking at using tockwith even though im from Leeds it looks like a great company :slight_smile:

Yep that will have been me. The trainers at tockwith are superb, they know all the intimate snag points where the examiners like to test you out in the area , i also have some inside info on some of the other trainers in the yorkshire area, on how they operate . Tockwith are not cheap and do not profess to be at the outset,what they have is an enviable reputation with the examiners for turning out well prepped candidates. Remember its an investment for your future and you only get what you pay for, as with anything in this life.! IMHO proper trainers where shirt and tie, not rigger boots and ripped jeans :wink: . I did my HIAB ticket with them last year so i knew the set-up.

I too travelled from leeds at 7.00am every morning.

Jennie:
Have you tried agency route u can get [zb] work but money in ya pocket till somat comes along if you google a site called indeed job search you can input your location and how far you are willing to travel and get an almost daily email of current vaccancies might be worth a shot , the good news is you have class 1 now ur in the bendy club so instantly twice employable
go get em kiddo
Jx

Funnily enough i had a call from an agency offering class 2 bread deliveries, which is literally 2 mins up the road from me 3am start 1pm finish or there abouts , job and knock. They cannot find anyone to do it i wonder why.

I have been trying to get on the gritting contract which finishes in march ,on call 24hrs but thats no probs, the problem is the councils have subbed a lot of work out to private companies, O/D’ s and local farmers, whilst whittling down their fleets to save money. I delivered to a few local council yards whilst doing builders merchants work, so tried to get some info on it. The builders merchants i worked for did say i did such a good job for them, that they will ring me mid march and take me back if nothing turns up meantime, so am not making the noose just yet, i am very reluctant to work for agencies, i believe Reed Boardall in boroughbridge take on new starters but again thats 40 miles away and my OH would go barmy if i do nights out.

I know what u mean lol ref 3am start but hey nowt on roads at that time and home by 1pm could be somat to tide ya over as should be unsociable hrs pay , but defo have a luck at that site indeed job alert as a said i get almost daily emails of about 3 or 4 new jobs

good luck
jx

Jennie:
I know what u mean lol ref 3am start but hey nowt on roads at that time and home by 1pm could be somat to tide ya over as should be unsociable hrs pay , but defo have a luck at that site indeed job alert as a said i get almost daily emails of about 3 or 4 new jobs

good luck
jx

The breadrun was £8ph straight through, i already get email alerts from that site too jen.There is a HIAB job going at Travis perkins in a town 30 miles away but knowing what they pay and deducting £200 per month for fuel, i cannot really get the numbers to work in my favour, it really needs to be a little nearer to me. Fussy aren’t i :blush:

roadrunner:
… next on the hitlist will probably be ADR, then i will maybe make a start on some DCPC training depending on funds.

Hi roadrunner,

You probably know this already, but depending on how an ADR provider has registered their ADR course with JAUPT, you can get 7, 14, 21, or 28 DCPC hours when you attend an ADR course.

Two birds, one stone? :wink:

dieseldave:

roadrunner:
… next on the hitlist will probably be ADR, then i will maybe make a start on some DCPC training depending on funds.

Hi roadrunner,

You probably know this already, but depending on how an ADR provider has registered their ADR course with JAUPT, you can get 7, 14, 21, or 28 DCPC hours when you attend an ADR course.

Forgot about that dave. win win :stuck_out_tongue: , i think the nearest place to me is hargreaves in leeds ■■

roadrunner:

dieseldave:

roadrunner:

Hi roadrunner,

Forgot about that dave. win win :stuck_out_tongue: , i think the nearest place to me is hargreaves in leeds ■■

Hi roadrunner,

Yes mate, Hargreaves are quite probably your nearest ADR provider.

Hargreaves Training Services (Leeds) Ltd
The Training Centre
New Princes Street
Leeds
LS11 9BA
Tel: 0113 2449292
Email: ann.johnson@hargreavestraining.com

Not all providers express their prices in the same way, but here are a few tips:

Ask about VAT. (VAT is payable on course tuition fees, but there is NO VAT on SQA exam fees.)
Ask about arrangements for breaks/lunch.
Ask about DCPC and how many DCPC hours are available for your course and the cost.
Ask whether they run single class exams, or common characteristics, because the difference in marking fees can be significant:

Each exam paper now costs £20 to mark, so a lot of providers are saving money for the candidates by choosing the “common characteristics” route.

There are two ‘routes’ to taking ADR exams
The one-exam-per-class route still exists, but it’s become comparatively expensive now.

Here’s the SQA marking fee comparison for Core, Packs and seven UN Classes:
Separate Classes route:
Core, Packs, then Classes 2,3,4,5,6,8&9 all as separate exams = £20 X 9 = £180.

Common Characteristics route:
Core, Packs, Common Characteristics, Paper “A” & Paper “B” = £20 X 5 = £100.
Assuming first time passes on all papers, a candidate would get exactly the same ADR licence from both routes, but one exam route costs YOU £80 less in marking fees. :open_mouth:

Marks needed for a pass on separate Classes route:
Core = 18/25
Packs = 11/15
Classes 2 & 3 = 11/15 each
Classes 4,5,6,8&9 = 7/10 each
Total exam papers = 9

Marks needed for a pass on Common Characteristics route:
Core = 18/25
Packs = 11/15
Common Characteristics = 14/20
Paper “A” = 26/36 (Classes 2,3,6 &8 on one paper)
Paper “B” = 17/24 (Classes 4,5 &9 one one paper)
Total exam papers = 5

If you choose to take the tanker module, it is ‘free standing’ and not combined with the above routes, but please be aware that not all providers have registered their tanker module for DCPC.
Tanker exam marking fee = £20 (No VAT)
Pass mark = 14/20

If you need some other ADR provider contact details once you’ve made your decision, then please shout up. :smiley:

I hope I’ve given you some food for thought. :smiley:

Thanks Dave thats much appreciated, very insightful. :wink:

Congrats on passing CE RR. Well done. :slight_smile:

roadrunner:

DanT_Sxi:
Congrats on the pass, You didnt happen to pass Wetherby Racecourse on Wednesday at around 2pm did you?

Im looking at using tockwith even though im from Leeds it looks like a great company :slight_smile:

Yep that will have been me. The trainers at tockwith are superb, they know all the intimate snag points where the examiners like to test you out in the area , i also have some inside info on some of the other trainers in the yorkshire area, on how they operate . Tockwith are not cheap and do not profess to be at the outset,what they have is an enviable reputation with the examiners for turning out well prepped candidates. Remember its an investment for your future and you only get what you pay for, as with anything in this life.! IMHO proper trainers where shirt and tie, not rigger boots and ripped jeans :wink: . I did my HIAB ticket with them last year so i knew the set-up.

Yep, Is there any other training companys you had a look at before choosing Tockwith?

What about Heargreaves in Leeds? What do you think about them?

Well done on the pass

Did you not get some cpc hours in when doing your training :question: a poss 7 hr driving towards it

DanT_Sxi:

roadrunner:

DanT_Sxi:

Yep, Is there any other training companys you had a look at before choosing Tockwith?

What about Heargreaves in Leeds? What do you think about them?

Yes i had a look at all of them. One of my workmates at the builders merchants passed C+E with Hargreaves back in july, first attempt he clipped a cone on the reverse, he got it second time around though, he said the instructor named sean was brilliant.The one i would avoid however is the school where i took 7 attempts at class 2, it is the training school with a similar name to the naughty school girl character, played by the actress Charlotte Coleman . :wink:

If you want the easier and cheaper route, go with Elmet training, they use a wag and drag for C+E , but thats only my opinion, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I choose Tockwith for their reputation (they also pick up a lot of the other local training school multiple failures) i also new the setup, having visited last year to do my HIAB ticket and sitting in the very same truck i passed my C+E in. My advice is take an assessment with all of them if you are not sure, to see which instructor and also which truck you are most comfortable with.

animal:
Well done on the pass

Did you not get some cpc hours in when doing your training :question: a poss 7 hr driving towards it

I did enquire about that as they are JAUPT approved,but i was told i could not have any hours added as the practical driver training did not count towards it ■■, only the classroom based academic modules e.g tacho regs, H & S, safe loading and weight distribution etc.

I shall get 21 hrs on the ADR course in any case, as Dieseldave has pointed out and i shall make up the shortfall myself with some other classroom stuff. The builders merchants i previously worked for have insisted i have a full cpc for next year even though the deadline is still a while off yet, if i am invited back for the summer season again next year.

roadrunner:

animal:
Well done on the pass

I did enquire about that as they are JAUPT approved,but i was told i could not have any hours added as the practical driver training did not count towards it ■■, only the classroom based academic modules e.g tacho regs, H & S, safe loading and weight distribution etc.

It is up to each dcpc approved centre as to what courses they PAY to have approved so it would be a financial decision
No point in a centre paying for course approvals if the uptake is likely to be low

roadrunner:

animal:
Well done on the pass

Not sure if that is right as I have been told different as when I go back & do mine I can have 7 hr counted towards the cpc as it is not all classroom based what about the SAFED driving as I understand that can count towards

So can somebody please clear this up :question:

A SAFED course can be dcpc approved but it will cost a lot because using a truck with at best 1 trainer to 2 trainees is costly

As in all things - you decide what you need and are prepared to pay for

From what I can gather, those drivers who are having to pay themselves just want to get any 35 hours as cheaply as possible and in most cases those are experienced drivers who are unlikely to benefit from anything on offer

experienced drivers who are unlikely to benefit from anything on offer

I resent that Rog!! Almost without exception, everyone who has been on our courses has learned something. We’re not there to teach experienced drivers how to do their job - - just to update skills which often haven’t been looked at for 20+ years.

I don’t doubt that there are some providers who don’t give a monkeys and will be happy to collect a bit of cash. That is not my attitude to any of the training we offer.

On a recent cpc course attended by 14 drivers ranging from 1 year’s experience to 33 years, only ONE could accurately describe the checks that should be made on a truck tyre. Apparently, anywhere between 4 and 12 mm is good! The person who gave the correct answer learned to drive with me a year earlier - and did the initial driver cpc.

So maybe, just maybe, not all training is the same. And what is for certain is that the “old hands”, much as I have great respect for the majority, don’t know it all.

We had an unannouced audit visit yesterday and we came out with a clean sheet.

Reach your own conclusions. Rant over, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

experienced drivers who are unlikely to benefit from anything on offer

I resent that Rog!! Almost without exception, everyone who has been on our courses has learned something. We’re not there to teach experienced drivers how to do their job - - just to update skills which often haven’t been looked at for 20+ years.

I don’t doubt that there are some providers who don’t give a monkeys and will be happy to collect a bit of cash. That is not my attitude to any of the training we offer.

On a recent cpc course attended by 14 drivers ranging from 1 year’s experience to 33 years, only ONE could accurately describe the checks that should be made on a truck tyre. Apparently, anywhere between 4 and 12 mm is good! The person who gave the correct answer learned to drive with me a year earlier - and did the initial driver cpc.

So maybe, just maybe, not all training is the same. And what is for certain is that the “old hands”, much as I have great respect for the majority, don’t know it all.

We had an unannouced audit visit yesterday and we came out with a clean sheet.

Reach your own conclusions. Rant over, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Got to agree with Pete 100% here - and yes i am a trainer.

Rog I believe you are basing your comments on others say so - i know you have attended some driver CPC training but aren’t sure just how much training you have delivered. not all trainers deliver below standard training so do not tar everyone with that brush. I know for a fact that experienced driver HAVE benefited from attended training