My C+E diary

Started this morning at 8.30 am, with my instructor stuart an old hand with over 40 years uk and euro experience and long term instructor who retires next april so he tells me.

Anyway stu shows me round my steed for the next 3.5 days straight in the deep end Volvo FH13 440 , 3 over 3 gearbox with splitter, this thing is like the starship enterprise , features include hill hold, cruise control, retarder and exhaust brake , all of which were shown to me and most not required on training or test, i was taken for a demo drive for 20 mins so i could observe the set - up and road positioning for turns etc. When it was my turn i kept fluffing the gears as the assessment was with their other older FM 12 , 4 over 4 so the gearbox was slightly different, my steering angles were a little out being used to the rigid and found it hard to differentiate between small, medium and large roundabouts , I was guided through several possible test routes including narrow back country lanes to a narrow busy town centre with a sharp/tight LH filter lane barely wide enough for a 4x4, i steered toward the RH railings as tight as i dare then gently locked the unit over to the left and just kissed the kerb slightly with no jarring of the vehicle, i was told it was a good first effort though.

After lunch, Reversing, again stu showed me twice, what was required, we swapped over," full right lock straight away, wait till you see the landing leg on the LHS then opposite lock, run along parallel 2ft from yellow line then steer front tyre parallel and as close to the yellow line as possible to angle the trailer past the center pole then gentle opposite lock to straighten back up " sounds easy but every attempt had a slightly different out come, got it in the box 2-3 times then another 2-3 times requiring a nice long shunt, thats a work in progress as they say, another quick run out, then return to yard for uncouple re-couple exercise more steps involved than i imagined but with stu coaching me, as always made it look easy need to practice this more so i do not miss steps out, trailer plate on and off for example.

Overall i need to get the gearshifting second nature and not looking at the stick diagram to work out which gear i’m in , was it 3rd or 4th ? scenario, whilst letting the steering wheel turn an inch accidently ,not looking while the trailer drifts a couple of feet into the next lane. :blush:

… Also more practise to get the turning position correct. I am absolutely drained to be honest, so much to take onboard in 3.5 days.

Below, probably the smartest training vehicle i have ever seen and used.

i remember the days well,best bet is take your time and try to digest what he tells you, 1 thing my instructer drummed into me was take as much lane room as you need with out impeading other drivers progress or road positioning,and the reversing was a little hard which order to do it in he did show me many times but brain just shut down lol, i remembered it as black b,brake l,legs a,air c,clip k,kingpin then in reverse k,kingpin c,clip a,air l,legs b,brake BLACK i no there is a lot to take in, just enjoy your time driving and take it all onboard, good luck with lessons/test :smiley:

Hiya mate I know what u mean about being drained feel the same ! Reverse for me is nemesis but going thru it and just hoping comes together , glad u are going thru same things as me , makes it easier u doing this at same time I know how u feel , we will crack this good luck tomorrow :smiley:
Jen ■■■

When reversing I can understand that using bits of the set up to determine when to do something might be ok for the test reverse excerise but it does not really help post test when using a different set up

When I was instructing I totally abandoned this way of doing it and opted for a more realistic method which used what could be seen in the mirrors to determine the angle of the trailer

Hey RR How’s it going,. If you are too shagged to do a diary I fully understand, but when you get the chance please let us all know how you get on. When is your test so I can send you some “positive waves man” All the best and wishing you loads of luck, although I’ sure you don’t need it. Rich

High Rich, Its been going ok, two reverses straight in the box first thing, i can easily get the truck across the pad safely to the rear opposite cones, then depending on my nerves i may try to bend it in, if not i’ll have the 2 shunts on stand by, i don’t want to be a hero this is all about damage limitation for me, my instructor has been superb, he told me today he is an ex-examiner and has the mono-tone voice to prove it ,he’s been very very strict only talking to me in an examiner mono-tone , whilst in the cab i.e no chit chat , which i quite like, he has only been nit-picking with me today, he said i am more than capable of passing, i just need to get the positioning correct for tight left and right turns without blocking lanes too much, which is necessary at certain instances. D-day is tomorrow at 2pm with a mock test run through in the morning i.e S/M T/M questions, uncouple re-couple, some more reversing which i quite enjoy, then out on the road to get my eye in, trying not to fluff the 6th to 5th downchange, which was prevalent today crunching into reverse instead. I shall be praying to the gods of empty roundabouts tonight thats for sure.

Talking to another c+e candidate at the butty van, he said he failed last time, going round a roundabout the left lane said “services” painted on the tarmac so he opted for the other lane and indicated to leave at the next exit, the examiner told him, it said “services” and not “services only” so he should have used that lane instead.

At 2pm tomorrow I’ll be preying to all Gods great and small for you, but not to Saint Jude as he is only for hopeless causes. Rich

Good luck for today. Sounds like you will be fine and will have huge smile on your face later.

So test day started this morning at 8.30am a quick run through of all the possible S/M T/M questions i could be asked, un- couple re- couple , then three practice reverses 1 in with no shunts one in with 1 shunt and the final one with 2 shunts all would have passed.

Out on the road, again stuart was nit picking road position and the bloody blind spot / safety checks !!, i went round a small roundabout to turn right so i took out both lanes, so cars could not get up the outside like yesterday cutting in on me !!, i got an almighty bollocking for that,he said there was no need to do that stick to your lane ! i was told sternly.

Travelling down a busy A road i was instructed to turn right into a narrow country lane with an oncoming artic i began to turn right, i was bellowed at again foot down foot down, the truck was much closer than anticipated :blush: , so i took 5 to calm down , as that would have been curtains on test.

The reverse went ok, got into my usual diagonal angle to the two posts, could not quite judge the pole on the far side so took a shunt reversed back, but again it was slightly skewed so took the second shunt to square it off perfectly reversed back slightly short of the box , i got out to check …just nudge it back 18 inches and i’m home and dry, job done !!

I made a slight error on the coupling exercise, after doing the light check i noticed i had left the landing legs down so i smartly walked round and wound the legs up and popped the trailer brake button off whilst there in the correct order :blush: , i was instructed to drive through wetherby town centre which is very narrow for an artic, pedestrians everywhere like ants diving off pavements (or as they say in the USA jaywalking) an oncoming audi pulled over and beckoned me on, but a vauxhall combo driver pulled out from behind him and flew past him and me at a great rate of knots almost ploughing down some mums and pushchairs into the bargain , the examiner just rolled his eyes and shook his head, i stayed calm and carried on as normal lots and lots of empty roundabouts ( i love 2pm tests ) plenty of time for positioning all round mirror checks and most of all watching for the trailer cut - in.

Got back to the test centre, please switch off the vehicle , whilst i do my paper work :unamused: , so fearing the worst… i then heard the magic words…etc

PASSED with 5 minors at the first attempt. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

A big thank you to Stuart “harsh but fair” Fletcher at Tockwith Training nr york, they have a 94% first time pass rate over all classes.

Well done on the great pass mate :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your pass, well done.

HOORAY

REALLY WELL DONE MATE

roadrunner:
So test day …

PASSED with 5 minors at the first attempt. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hi roadrunner,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your LGV “C+E” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice one mate!! :smiley:

well done mate on passing your test am taking my c+e test next tuesday test at 1.45 pm . haulin :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Congrats and very smart training vehicle, shame about the colour :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam Millar:
Congrats and very smart training vehicle, shame about the colour :stuck_out_tongue:

The best bit of free advertising they will ever get, no matter how camp. :wink:

Congratulations roadrunner, great news well done !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations mate go and celebrate in style

jennie ■■

Congrats on the pass, You didnt happen to pass Wetherby Racecourse on Wednesday at around 2pm did you?

I saw the truck and thought someone might post on here.

Im looking at using tockwith even though im from Leeds it looks like a great company :slight_smile: