Multi drop advice please

i did a day doing multi drop for a courier company this week.i really struggled.only had a few days experience driving so far.i had two or three post code areas to visit,carrying out multi drop in each,to companys on trading estates.i realise now i should have mabye bought an a-z.it did cross my mind,but im used to a sat nav so i stuck with that.one area was a long strech of road a few miles long.so of course when the sat nav got me to that road it wasnt going to tell me anymore.i realise now a-z’s have the trading estates on.a lot of the parcels didnt have the estates on anyway as far as i can remember,only the main road.after a few hours i had done five drops,and had completed about 20 runs of this strech of road.as you can imagine the boss wasnt pleased.unfortanatley i wasnt taken out to be shown the ropes as i think they sometimes do.i felt ill prepared.they expected 40-50 drops.which of course i had a cat in hells chance of doing.a lot of the trading estates didnt seem to have the companys listed on the entrance which didnt help(unless i was missing it).i was hoping someone might have a bit of advice on this type of work or mabye surgest work i should be applying for,considering my lack of experince.i got my class 2 a few months ago.thanks for reading :slight_smile:

ten4rubberduckie:
i did a day doing multi drop for a courier company this week.i really struggled.only had a few days experience driving so far.i had two or three post code areas to visit,carrying out multi drop in each,to companys on trading estates.

i realise now i should have mabye bought an a-z.it did cross my mind,but im used to a sat nav so i stuck with that.one area was a long strech of road a few miles long.so of course when the sat nav got me to that road it wasnt going to tell me anymore.

i realise now a-z’s have the trading estates on.a lot of the parcels didnt have the estates on anyway as far as i can remember,only the main road.after a few hours i had done five drops,and had completed about 20 runs of this strech of road.as you can imagine the boss wasnt pleased.

unfortanatley i wasnt taken out to be shown the ropes as i think they sometimes do.i felt ill prepared.they expected 40-50 drops.which of course i had a cat in hells chance of doing.a lot of the trading estates didnt seem to have the companys listed on the entrance which didnt help(unless i was missing it).

i was hoping someone might have a bit of advice on this type of work or mabye surgest work i should be applying for,considering my lack of experince.i got my class 2 a few months ago.thanks for reading :slight_smile:

A normal day on multi drop it seems to me

I agree with Rog, it’s definitly a normal day in the world of delivering/driving as a whole, not just multi drop.

I’d like just one day where nothing went wrong :laughing:

ROG:

ten4rubberduckie:
i did a day doing multi drop for a courier company this week.i really struggled.only had a few days experience driving so far.i had two or three post code areas to visit,carrying out multi drop in each,to companys on trading estates.

i realise now i should have mabye bought an a-z.it did cross my mind,but im used to a sat nav so i stuck with that.one area was a long strech of road a few miles long.so of course when the sat nav got me to that road it wasnt going to tell me anymore.

i realise now a-z’s have the trading estates on.a lot of the parcels didnt have the estates on anyway as far as i can remember,only the main road.after a few hours i had done five drops,and had completed about 20 runs of this strech of road.as you can imagine the boss wasnt pleased.

unfortanatley i wasnt taken out to be shown the ropes as i think they sometimes do.i felt ill prepared.they expected 40-50 drops.which of course i had a cat in hells chance of doing.a lot of the trading estates didnt seem to have the companys listed on the entrance which didnt help(unless i was missing it).

i was hoping someone might have a bit of advice on this type of work or mabye surgest work i should be applying for,considering my lack of experince.i got my class 2 a few months ago.thanks for reading :slight_smile:

A normal day on multi drop it seems to me

same here i been workin for acourier company for last 4 years doin 7 n half tonne multi drop n go out wi 40-45 drops minimum

when worked at city link doing multi drop went out with around 70odd minimum

Mate I feel for ya. I did 3 weeks for ups and that drive me insane. The drivers there are doing upto 110 drops a day and at the end if it I wanted to murder someone(mostly the management and the agency lol) it does get easier and an a-z will be your best friend doing this job. Good luck with it mate , I couldn’t hack it but I hope you find a rythm and get stuck into it. Your find alot of the addresses you will go to a few times a week and it all helps cut down the time when you know what your looking for.

i only did one day there.i didnt realise that was the norm(to do so many drops).i just figured i was out of my depth on that one.ill make sure ive got an a-z next time and be a bit more systematic about it,and try not to lose my head.its good to hear its not plain sailing for evreyone else.some of you guys must be doing class 1.how do you find that? i think i wanna get on that eventually.more driving time and less drops i should imagine? does that make it less stressful? i suppose the stress in class 1 is being in charge of such a large truck?

Yeah class 1 is normally less drops unless your like an agency driver I know. He had to pick up a trailer for a well known parcel company ( red) lol. Anyway all he had to so was drive from London straight to Manchester but after 3 days noone had seen him.turns out he had been delivering the parcels in the back of the trailer lmao. Needless to say he wasn’t given much work after lol

Class2ldn:
Yeah class 1 is normally less drops unless your like an agency driver I know. He had to pick up a trailer for a well known parcel company ( red) lol. Anyway all he had to so was drive from London straight to Manchester but after 3 days noone had seen him.turns out he had been delivering the parcels in the back of the trailer lmao. Needless to say he wasn’t given much work after lol

That’s the best story i’ve ever heard :laughing:

thats brilliant.

Class2ldn:

hahahahahhaahahhaahahhaha ffs brilliant best story i heard in ages lol

If you do anymore multidrop then it might help to do what I did. I found out what postcodes I was delivering to and got a photocopy of the pages from the a-z. Then as I loaded the parcels I found the road on the photocopy and marked it with a highlighter. On the bk of the photocopy I put the house numbers to the roads so all I had to do was pull up, find the parcel and then deliver it. It did take a bit more time to get out in the morning but I was always one of the first back. Also try and keep the parcels for each road together , ie 26 and 45 for blah blah road etc. Saves you searching around the van trying to find it and it all helps to cut down the time cos let’s face it, doing ■■■■■■■■ multidrop is non stop all day action and the quicker you can get rid of them bloody things the better. Like I said this was my way and did take a bit of time in the morning but it made the rest of the day alot easier. Also means you can plot your route out from the start and not after every parcel like some people do. I know people who deliver down one road, go to the next road then come back on themselves to do another one. Sometimes it’s unavoidable but the less you have to do it the more time you save. I hope that helps a bit

GAZLEEDS:

Class2ldn:

hahahahahhaahahhaahahhaha ffs brilliant best story i heard in ages lol

Really? That story has been around for years and crops up about half a dozen times a year, only the company changes with each telling. the obvious problem with the story is you don’t get separate delivery notes for each parcel with a trailer like that so the driver wouldn’t have anything to be signed or have knowledge of the addresses without looking at every parcel. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

that does help a bit class2ld.cheers.helps if you know area before hand i suppose.bin round local garage to get an a-z.thats a start.just gotta get out there and get a bitta practise with it now! not goin to the next job half-cocked! :slight_smile:

Stick with it mate it comes with experience and time,everyone starts somewhere and moves on to bigger and better things,ive had many a day where i were lost and up against the clock and the more ive panicked the worse the problems got,ive had many arguments with the gaffa cos of dodgy adress details and such and could of easily put my hand down the phone and ripped his throat out but you get there in the end get tipped and sit back and think what the hell was i getting het up about.
Do whatever work ya can get mate and take yer time everyone has to learn and lot of time its learning from yer mistakes and remember yer not on yer own,most drivers been thru it,couple yrs time you will laugh about it im sure.

Another thing which may help. When you are faced with finding a building or house number on a long road remember the numbers usually number out from the town centre with the odd numbers on the left of the road. It’s not always the case but it is more often than not.

You set out to do multi-drop without an A-Z,dear me.Did you actually study where you were about to go before you set off ? If you are covering an experienced driver’s run see if you can get a copy of his previous run printed out,that way you will have a rough idea where you’re going.When you load a van always remember,“First On,Last Off”,so you are in effect loading it backwards from the run order.

hello mate, i do class 2 multi drop with HIAB and the best advise i can offer is :
1 make sure your load is loaded so that it comes off in the order your load is on the pod notes.
2 GET A to Z for the area you are to deliver.
3 use sat nav AS A GUIDE ONLY it will get you to the general area then use A to Z to clarify destination.
4 if in doubt ASK. useually another driver is best as we normally cover for each other. TM’s just get a gob on as a rule.
5 try to relax cos if you stress you make mistakes.
Hope this helps :smiley:

briandavies158:
hello mate, i do class 2 multi drop with HIAB and the best advise i can offer is :
1 make sure your load is loaded so that it comes off in the order your load is on the pod notes.
2 GET A to Z for the area you are to deliver.
3 use sat nav AS A GUIDE ONLY it will get you to the general area then use A to Z to clarify destination.
4 if in doubt ASK. useually another driver is best as we normally cover for each other. TM’s just get a gob on as a rule.
5 try to relax cos if you stress you make mistakes.
Hope this helps :smiley:

How many drops a day do you do Brian? Do you have to use the hiab on all of them?

hello mate. long time no speak. well varies between 10 and 14 drops and 90% is HIAB use. only small amount of handball but even that can be heavy sometimes. its worse when you get to site and they want their delivery spreading around the site so you have to reset the wagon every time which can be time consuming when you got other drops to make. :smiley:

briandavies158:
hello mate. long time no speak. well varies between 10 and 14 drops and 90% is HIAB use. only small amount of handball but even that can be heavy sometimes. its worse when you get to site and they want their delivery spreading around the site so you have to reset the wagon every time which can be time consuming when you got other drops to make. :smiley:

Don’t most sites have a reach truck so they can tip you without you having to use the hiab?

I remember when I have worked for companies delivering to sites the main problem was finding places not on the A-Z or in the sat nav!