MPG Figures for company drivers

Dunno if this has been covered before but what does your company do in term of letting you know what fuel consumption you are getting, lists up in office? what details does the list have on there? and if its like a league table does it make you want to achieve a higher MPG?

This is for something im doing for a friend!

Cheers

We have a weekly posting of fuel figures plus a running yearly total but names are not used instead each drivers individual driver number is used so no one really knows who is who which stops pressure on some who might not be returning good figures.

We did start getting a monthly bonus for the best consumption but one bloke kept winning it all the time (me :blush: ) other guys are doing multi deliveries on A roads, I was just doing straight motorway runs with a trailer swap, the poor old Welsh boys operating from the Rhondda valley didn’t stand a chance. The scheme just got scrapped as it wasn’t a level playing field for everyone.

Maritime used to put up a complete list of every vehicle in their depot, reg number, make/model, engine size, type (artic or W&D) and previous weekly/monthly results

They dont do anything at all.You write what fuel you use on the running sheet but thats as far as it goes.I just try and drive as ecenomically as i can and the on board computer tells you what you are doing.Never going to get the greatest on artic bulk tipper work.I average 7.7 roughly.

Our company have been pushing the mpg rate for a while now but they should concentrate more on planning, its laughable sometimes.

bald bloke:
Our company have been pushing the mpg rate for a while now but they should concentrate more on planning, its laughable sometimes.

Same here :unamused: :unamused:

Its never been mentioned at my place :open_mouth:

tootman318:

bald bloke:

Same here :unamused: :unamused:

Thats what we tell our lot too. A bit better planning and routing would save more fuel than we could by driving like Miss Daisy all day. Yet somehow they don’t seem to listen. Its only the drivers who get it in the neck for wasting fuel and not the planners!!! :imp:

Absolutely sod all! I’m now getting 10.3mpg (not bad when the other Foden 6ws get around 7.5) but I’ve no incentive to do this, I just like having a look at the trip computers in other lorries and beating them. I drove one of the CF autos last week; speedy regular driver gets 8.2 so I just had to get 10 :grimacing:

Our lot used to stick a list up on the wall, but thats gone now as it was a bone of contention, some drivers are on a pay shceme including fuel bonus, others arent, and its caused a lot of bad feeling and it isnt the only point of contention.
I used to try for good figures but I’ve lost intrest now :unamused:

Telematics print out on wall for each truck. Names are up as well, but nobody takes it particularly seriously except one guy who likes to beat everyone else, we all just let him enjoy himself. You get a grade A-F on 7 or 8 different sections (acceleration, harsh braking, engine torque, idling, cruise control use etc etc), then an overall grade. Most weeks everyone is a C.

We all do different sort of work, so it doesnt really show much for comparison.

The got a bee in their bonnet about engine idling a while back, so everyone cut down on it, no other incentives for anything else. Better planning would save far more in the long term than worrying about MPG.

Incentives just cause people to drive like granny. It is painful getting stuck behind a Tesco or Asda motor trundling around, for example. Painful!

The concrete side of our firm print out telematics crap; At Cassington plant it’s filed under R. I wouldn’t get a good score regarding cruise control as I like to use the pedal on scways as cc at 40-50 bores me to death.

Muckaway:
The concrete side of our firm print out telematics crap; At Cassington plant it’s filed under R. I wouldn’t get a good score regarding cruise control as I like to use the pedal on scways as cc at 40-50 bores me to death.

Our lot are going down the lines of only use cc on motorway or if on a long stretch of dc, they’re not really encouraging us to use cc on a sc any more.

Weekly bollockings

My lot don’t care about MPG as long as the job is done. Provided you’re not stealing it or standing next to an idling motor having a chat, they leave you alone. :smiley:

I was ear-wigging a transport office morning meeting the other day, and they were talking about fuels cons as a percentage (eg some drivers were doing 60% and others 92%). I don´t know what that really means. They clearly know who is doing what but they don´t put up any kind of league table.

WildGoose:
‘…Telematics … a bee in their bonnet about engine idling…’

Here too: Many at my place log-on just before leaving the yard to deny some of the daft telematic penalties innocently incurred by idling time & fuel spent lowering/raising, hooking up & achieving pressures, etc, and then podge to clear the digital ‘Driving Without Card’ rollocking.

The rest don’t give a ■■■■ :smiley:

The way our drivers see it is that if they want us to be concerned about mpg, then stop paying load bonuses.

Muckaway:
The way our drivers see it is that if they want us to be concerned about mpg, then stop paying load bonuses.

You can still drive quick and save fuel with the right driver :laughing: :laughing: