Mp4 actros ride

Hi all.
Iv just acquired an actros mp4 artic, from a mp3 actros, and im shocked at the ride.
It copes ok with small potholes etc, but things like bridge joints and some of the ridges in the road that are part of life seem to be too much for the cab springs to cope with.
The mp3 was not the smoothest I’ve ever driven,but it was miles better than this.
I’m trying to get over it,i was just wandering if its just me.

In general, as good a truck as it is, I found it very overrated!!
I found even taking your time going over speed bumps etc, things would get thrown around the cab. Suspension definitely not good at soaking up bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the seating position that got to me for a while, you’re sat right up in the ■■■■ air.
I like to lounge when driving, but even with the air dumped out of the seat, (which does not help what you are on about) and the back rest… jammed against the bunk :unamused: , I still feel like I am sat bolt upright :unamused: …got used to it now, a bit like you do with toothache.

You looked pretty comfy this morning mate as you swept majestically northbound past Stibbington supping your Costa. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
You looked pretty comfy this morning mate as you swept majestically northbound past Stibbington supping your Costa. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nah not me mate, I’m the stunninglly good looking cool one on our lot :sunglasses: …AND I was nowhere near Stibbington. :frowning:
Still waiting to catch you for a pint one night, if you’re in Devon area towards end of week anytime?

robroy:

the maoster:

Nah not me mate, I’m the stunninglly good looking cool one on our lot :sunglasses: …AND I was nowhere near Stibbington. :frowning:
Still waiting to catch you for a pint one night, if you’re in Devon area towards end of week anytime?

Got a feeling that it’s all gonna go mammaries north tomorrow bud, so I reckon that I’ll be around the Droitwich area for the night if that’s any good? Terberg pilot next week so that’s off the cards too.

The guy I thought was you had frilly curtains and one of them pelmet things which made me figure it might be you. Dunno why but I always imagine a toon flag in your windscreen so I’m always looking for that.

Anyway, get yerself down to Newark for the Beavers shindig and we’ll buy each other beer 'till we fall over! :wink:

Yep! Appalling ride, uncomfortable driving position, but excellent living space. I’m afraid there’s not enough money in the world for me to do distance work in one though. My back is bad enough without Mercedes doing there best to make it worse!

They bounce around like Bez on cocaine. We have around 30 of them and when you are solo it’s best to wear a hard hat.

Oh bugger.
Thanks for the replies, I’m either going to have to get used to it or sell it i suppose.
I cant get my head around just HOW bad it is at times.
Out of interest is the volvo fh4 the same?
It has very similar coil springs for the cab suspension.

ROADRANGER:
Oh bugger.
Thanks for the replies, I’m either going to have to get used to it or sell it i suppose.
I cant get my head around just HOW bad it is at times.
Out of interest is the volvo fh4 the same?
It has very similar coil springs for the cab suspension.

Chalk and cheese mate. I used to drive FH4’s at Stobart’s and they are really good.

I sold my mp3 Merc last year and bought myself a Volvo fh4 model. I’d had a couple of demo trucks from Mercedes, but weren’t good enough in my view.

I’ve only had this a couple of weeks and there is nothing not to like.
Except
, the ride! It spoiled an otherwise excellent truck.
Like someone has said, i will have to get used to it, like toothache.

I have an MP4, and it is the worst ride I have ever had in a modern lorry.

Dieseldog66:
I have an MP4, and it is the worst ride I have ever had in a modern lorry.

I agree.
Mines back with supplying dealer next week to have some warranty work done whilst im on holiday.
I’ve told them how bad i think it is,so they are going to check tyre pressure,as new tyres have been fitted and its possible that thd tyres are over inflated.
But, I’m not optimistic.
Its so bad when going over bridge joints and bad rutts that it feels like it could properly hurt my back.
Is this normal?

Mines in for inspection for the day, so I’m using a 57 plate Topline Scania on locals, just realised how bad the yr old Merc is in comparison…to a 10 yr old motor. :open_mouth:
Better ride, better driving position, more comfortable, says it all really.

(Stalled it a couple of times, I keep forgetting it’s got a clutch. :blush: :smiley: )

Scania has cab air suspension.
I think thars part of my problem, two trucks ago i had a daf supef space with cab air, its spoiled me fof life.
Then i bought an fh 13 on springs and 315/70 tyres.
I never stopped moaning about the hard ride on that beast, but it was a walk in the park compared to this.
Its so bad though, that i think there must be something wrong.
As i may have said most of thd time i can live with it, its when i go over ruts in the road etc, the cab suspention cant cope.
Iit almost winded me once.
Can anyone confirm that this is normal or otherwise.

After 18 months in a MP4 Actros I agree with everything you say.
On more than one occasion I had my Dashcam or Satnav loss suction and fall off the windscreen because of how badly the suspension throws you about.
Regularly had items fall off the small table/cup holder area and had cans of juice actually come out of the cup holders and end up all over the carpet.
Also had the lockers above the windscreen open by themselves after going over particularly harsh bumps.
Moved into a new XF106 about six weeks ago and it’s far superior I drive the same roads to the same sites week in week out and in places where I’d have fallen out the seat in the Actros the DAF isn’t phased at all.

If anyone is interested, i had my truck off the road last week whilst on holiday.
Amongst other things, the tyre pressures were to be checked etc.
So, the midlift axle was over pressurised and the drive axle ride height was too high, so that was altered.
After a couple of days maybe, its a bit better when loaded with the midlift down.
But it still kicks my in the back like a bad tempered mule every now and then.
Went in today to talk to the manager of the supplier and he reckons its the first he had heard of any poor ride issues on the mp4.
One thing i have done that has improved things a little is move the seat forward away from the bunk.
It allows a bit of fore and aft movement of the seat.
Pity though its a cracking truck otherwise.

as you say its a excellent truck but the ride lets its down, compared to a Scania or a Volvo you feel knacked at the end of the day driving it,
you would think they would sort that out before they put them on the road, they must have lost a lot of sales because of that

It’s bizarre but I’d never really considered the ride quality of my Actros until I read this, and actually yes, it is shocking when I think about it.

I keep my ■■■■ and lighter in the middle of the three slots to the right of the radio and I without thinking put my hands over them to stop them jumping out on certain sections of road that bitter experience has obviously taught me to act on.

Hey ho, three year old in January and due to be replaced, so we’ll see what comes next.