Moving to Australia

Looking to make the move to NSW Australia in the near future, but as of yet, cannot find a way of obtaining a work visa.
I have family in NSW who are willing to accomodate and if nesessary sponsor me.
If anyone has any idea where to start the process for getting over there as Truck Driver, please help.
As Truck Driver doesnt appear to be on the Skills list.
I am 42, with 4 years class CE and 20 years as Van driver willing to do anything to get over there.

Help !!

email pitch70@gmail.com
with ANY advice.
Thanks

If it’s anything like the UK, paint yer face a darker hue, wrap a tea towel around your head and keep saying ‘‘No understand’’ and you’ll be sorted in no time. Seriously though good luck, sensible move and have a nice Xmas.

Are you married and if so is your wife’s job on the skills list and what family do you have there if your not on skills list forget it or go and get a skill if you really want to get there that is the only way

Isn’t there an age limitation for Oz ? IIRC 40 ?

It’s very hard to get in when you are over 30. And no, our licences don’t work over there apart from a car license.
You would have to do their equivalent class 2 then class 1 and then MC - Multi Combination licence if you want more than 1 trailer :slight_smile:
Trucking out there is brutal though, when I go out there I won’t be trucking hopefully!!

FarnboroughBoy11:
It’s very hard to get in when you are over 30. And no, our licences don’t work over there apart from a car license.
You would have to do their equivalent class 2 then class 1 and then MC - Multi Combination licence if you want more than 1 trailer :slight_smile:
Trucking out there is brutal though, when I go out there I won’t be trucking hopefully!!

The rules must have changed then… I got my first Western Austrailia AC licence in 1992 (artic and road train) as it was known then and was just a simple 30 questions test and Uk licence exchange, no driving or anything. I then travelled elsewhere and returned to back to Western Australia in 2002, took the same 30 question desktop test (uk class 1 exchange) only to find that i had gained the HC (Class 1) licence, but lost my roadtrain entitlement!!..doh!

So there is no Class 1 licence exchange there now?.. who told you this?

The age limit has been raised to 50 but you still need a skill I was 5 point’s short and could not get them from anywhere

There are a few ozzies on here try them …they may point you in the direction you need.

just tried an online points test…they can keep their australia for me. im staying here.

I dont think a hgv driver is on the list of skills wanted

Just Google Australia migration and you will find the government website and there is loads of information on there or search Bob in oz another good site

New Zealand do have lorry drivers on the list I think. Do five years in New Zealand and then you get automatic leave to stay and work in Oz too

Jobs a good-un

contractdriver:

FarnboroughBoy11:

The rules must have changed then… I got my first Western Austrailia AC licence in 1992 (artic and road train) as it was known then and was just a simple 30 questions test and Uk licence exchange, no driving or anything. I then travelled elsewhere and returned to back to Western Australia in 2002, took the same 30 question desktop test (uk class 1 exchange) only to find that i had gained the HC (Class 1) licence, but lost my roadtrain entitlement!!..doh!

I researched it when i was out there last year and confirmed by looking online on several websites.

claretmatt:
New Zealand do have lorry drivers on the list I think. Do five years in New Zealand and then you get automatic leave to stay and work in Oz too

Jobs a good-un

NZ license is a straight swap for uk license too

kr79:

claretmatt:

Jobs a good-un

NZ license is a straight swap for uk license too

Yup, just got to pass a medical and fill in the paperwork no test or anything. :smiley:

how did you make the 100+ points required??
cant seem to get more than 20 !!

As someone who has been there and done it and walked away with an Aussie passport to boot…get a family member living there to sponsor you. You spouse will also need skills in demand. Failing this, forget it!

Lived in Brisbane for 3 years. Had to retake my license. Also obtained HC (road train). The work isn’t much different from here bar the crap non synchro gearboxes, certainly not ‘brutal’ as one person suggested! Money can be very good if you are willing to put in the hours! Any further Q’s, just ask!

I’m going in the near future… Did you ever come across a company called Lee’s Transport?? Perth based but got a depot in Brisbane too. leestransport.com.au

FarnboroughBoy11:

contractdriver:

FarnboroughBoy11:

I researched it when i was out there last year and confirmed by looking online on several websites.

Funny, I moved over here in over last year I didn’t have to do the HR course to get my HC, they were going to directly exchange it but they never … Provided you hold a HC (class one in UK) they let you go straight to HC here in NSW, you have to do a knowledge test and get 98% … then get learner book, book a course and then either do assessment or test … there are 3 licence over here auto synchro and Road ranger … even if you never intend on driving a road ranger always best to do it … then after 12 months earlier in come cases go on to the MC which can be done in an auto as you will already have the RR on you r licence , but all states have different rules re licences … also no it is not hard to get in when over 30 it is a different type of visa under 30 you can get a working holiday visa … over you go for a 175 independent 176 state sponsor 176 family sponsor and so forth … re Oz more chance of of john paul the 2nd getting a Resurrection than getting in on a truck licence … NZ best way to go unless wife has a skill on the list OZ is really over rated … miss the life of UK following my team old job old life etc,

Duck:
I’m going in the near future… Did you ever come across a company called Lee’s Transport?? Perth based but got a depot in Brisbane too. leestransport.com.au

Yeah, have seen a few of their trucks about Brisbane.