Moving on to days; tramping mindset

I’m seriously struggling to pack a “day bag”, after only ever doing this job as a professional tramp.

P.I.T.A cab hopping so trying to condense my bag… do you lot still take a duvet and spare set of kegs In case the brown stuff hits the fan? Or is it a phone call to company the moment you realise your in danger for a rescue mission to commence…

Dont really wanna look like a wet wipe on my first day taking all gear, also don’t wanna look like I’m up for more nights spent in cab :grimacing:

Noob question on face of it I know… but honestly I’m finding it so stressful to leave my stove and weeks supply of snacks at home…

What IF this happens What IF that happens…

Alfa1M:
I’m seriously struggling to pack a “day bag”, after only ever doing this job as a professional tramp.

P.I.T.A cab hopping so trying to condense my bag… do you lot still take a duvet and spare set of kegs In case the brown stuff hits the fan? Or is it a phone call to company the moment you realise your in danger for a rescue mission to commence…

Dont really wanna look like a wet wipe on my first day taking all gear, also don’t wanna look like I’m up for more nights spent in cab :grimacing:

Noob question on face of it I know… but honestly I’m finding it so stressful to leave my stove and weeks supply of snacks at home…

What IF this happens What IF that happens…

Depends on how far your “day run” is I guess?
If youre only ever going 20 miles away then a flask of coffee and a ham sarnie are overkill. If youre running 4hrs 25min out, then a sleeping bag is a must.
Depends on the company too: some would expect you to be prepared, some would make a big effort to recover the driver. (Especially if the vehicle is needed for a night driver!)
It must be difficult changing habits though.

I tramped when…

I first started. In the old days there were still town centres that had lorry parks, the MSAs had dedicated lorry facilities and I got my night out money in cash before I left.
I’ve had 4 nights out in 5 years, where I am now there is no rescue. 3 of those un-planned nights were because Eddie is unable to load pallets into a reefer trailer and one because my lot didn’t make a booking.
I just stop where ever I can that’s legit and have 9 off on the bunk. I’ve always had some sort of a meal albeit Burger King or whatever. Then it’s however long back to the yard, fill up, card out and go home on 8 hours pay. I’m still just about tough enough to rough it once a year, it’s no biggy.

I don’t take any pot noodles, just a toothbrush and some deodorant. My rolled up coat serves well as a pillow.

yourhavingalarf:
I tramped when…
I first started. In the old days there were still town centres that had lorry parks, the MSAs had dedicated lorry facilities and I got my night out money in cash before I left.

I remember it well. Also getting my pay in an envelope in cash. Your comment of rolling up your coat and using it as a pillow is a giveaway as to your attitude and making do which is sadly lacking nowadays. Most drivers today would be horrified at the thought of such inhumanities.

That’s definitely me… the thought of roughin’ it on a Unsheeted sperm stained mattress used by 183
different agency drivers terrifies me :open_mouth:

You’ll be fine.
Just,don’t sleep with your tongue sticking out

commonrail:
You’ll be fine.
Just,don’t sleep with your tongue sticking out

:laughing:

Alfa1M:
That’s definitely me… the thought of roughin’ it on a Unsheeted sperm stained mattress used by 18 core drivers and 3
different agency drivers terrifies me :open_mouth:

FTFY

There is nothing worse than sleeping in your company uniform to keep warm when the night heater doesn’t work in the Winter due to running out of time and nobody is coming to do a rescue and it was supposed to be a day run .
Waking up unable to freshen up and have a basic wash or shave and can’t brush the teeth, is horrible and you can’t sleep properly.

Maybe discreetly put a night out bag in the cab when nobody is looking or pull the car up to the cab and lob the bag in , out of the way in the corner of their yard .
For dirty bunks, the minimum must have kit must be a bed sheet, then it’s the smell of gone off sweat smell and other bodily functions deposits such as dandruff, cut off toe and finger nails , head hairs, bogeys on the steering wheel, discarded crisp and biscuit wrappers.

Try a hiking type sleeping bag, rolls up really small and a basic wash kit and towel, probably get it all in a carrier bag. Not great for 4 nights a week! but ok for the odd emergency. Can usually get something to eat from a convenience store which isn’t great but if it’s only in emergency. In hind sight, I can’t believe the amount of stuff I used to take when tramping, just in case, half of which was never used.

Tarmaceater:
There is nothing worse than sleeping in your company uniform to keep warm when the night heater doesn’t work in the Winter due to running out of time and nobody is coming to do a rescue and it was supposed to be a day run .
Waking up unable to freshen up and have a basic wash or shave and can’t brush the teeth, is horrible and you can’t sleep properly.

Maybe discreetly put a night out bag in the cab when nobody is looking or pull the car up to the cab and lob the bag in , out of the way in the corner of their yard .
For dirty bunks, the minimum must have kit must be a bed sheet, then it’s the smell of gone off sweat smell and other bodily functions deposits such as dandruff, cut off toe and finger nails , head hairs, bogeys on the steering wheel, discarded crisp and biscuit wrappers.

I do disagree here.
Taxi and budget hotel before any of that old stuff. Hand in receipts if it totals over your night out money.
If not paid back…examine your options…

Old army greatcoat, hard hat for a pillow and a tin of corned beef for rations, a decent sized vacuum flask with two cups, one for shaving, one for making a drink of lukewarm tea. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Old army greatcoat, hard hat for a pillow and a tin of corned beef for rations, a decent sized vacuum flask with two cups, one for shaving, one for making a drink of lukewarm tea. :laughing:

Did you ever get the cups mixed up after use ? :open_mouth: :laughing:

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:

Did you ever get the cups mixed up after use ? :open_mouth: :laughing:

You only mix up your water bottles once…

trucken:
Try a hiking type sleeping bag, rolls up really small and a basic wash kit and towel, probably get it all in a carrier bag. Not great for 4 nights a week! but ok for the odd emergency. Can usually get something to eat from a convenience store which isn’t great but if it’s only in emergency. In hind sight, I can’t believe the amount of stuff I used to take when tramping, just in case, half of which was never used.

It has been an oddly sombre morning, unpacking a hold all and 3 full Aldi carry bags of accumulated gear from 5 years of tramping. Some of it used once or twice but couldnt imagine going down the road without it.

With each item that was being condemned to the loft, “just in case I go back”, The realisation that my working day is about to get a whole lot more dull and stressful, where being refused at a tip in the latter half of your shift is now a problem, whereas before I could hardly give less of a care.

Still. Time to be the family man, put her nagging to the side and get home for Coronation street and a shared meal time. :exclamation:

Alfa1M:

trucken:

It has been an oddly sombre morning, unpacking a hold all and 3 full Aldi carry bags of accumulated gear from 5 years of tramping. Some of it used once or twice but couldnt imagine going down the road without it.

With each item that was being condemned to the loft, “just in case I go back”, The realisation that my working day is about to get a whole lot more dull and stressful, where being refused at a tip in the latter half of your shift is now a problem, whereas before I could hardly give less of a care.
I await the thread (Gone back tramping as Mrs had had enough of me at home )
Still. Time to be the family man, put her nagging to the side and get home for Coronation street and a shared meal time. :exclamation:

Alfa1M:

trucken:

A holdall and 3 carrier bags!! When I retired I filled the back of an estate car, though it did include a push bike!

1. box of spare tacho rolls.
  2. min 2 pens.
  3. 2 phone chargers, 12/24v cig socket type and a USB type.
  4. pair each of dry weather and wet weather gloves.
  5. small/medium size towel for the rainy days.
  6. bottle of window cleaner for the mirrors especially in winter.
  7. kitchen roll.
  8. small screwdriver and torx set.
  9. inflatable pillow.
  10. hi-viz vest.

That’s it. I don’t eat at work but I do fill a 2L bottle with some juice and bring that with me. Used to bring a flask of coffee but found that I brought most of the contents back home with me. No satnav - googlemaps and streetview on my phone is sufficient for the last few miles if you have a good knowledge of the road network.

DCPCFML:

2. min 2 pens.
  7. kitchen roll.
  9. inflatable pillow.
  10. hi-viz vest.

Gets my vote although I don’t bother with number 9.

I do keep a sleeping bag, pillows and wash kit in the boot of the car though as there’s been the odd time I’ve turned up, someone has rung in sick who was supposed to be on a night out and they’ve asked if I’d got my night out gear and would be willing to do a night out.

Conor:

DCPCFML:

2. min 2 pens.
  7. kitchen roll.
  9. inflatable pillow.
  10. hi-viz vest.

Gets my vote although I don’t bother with number 9.

I do keep a sleeping bag, pillows and wash kit in the boot of the car though as there’s been the odd time I’ve turned up, someone has rung in sick who was supposed to be on a night out and they’ve asked if I’d got my night out gear and would be willing to do a night out.

I don’t do nights out, but 2-3 hours at the hub waiting for the backload is the perfect opportunity to inspect the inside of my eyelids. I should have added a 9b : make sure the night heater works. :smiley: