Moving on to days; tramping mindset

Alfa1M:
I’m seriously struggling to pack a “day bag”, after only ever doing this job as a professional tramp.

P.I.T.A cab hopping so trying to condense my bag… do you lot still take a duvet and spare set of kegs In case the brown stuff hits the fan? Or is it a phone call to company the moment you realise your in danger for a rescue mission to commence…

Dont really wanna look like a wet wipe on my first day taking all gear, also don’t wanna look like I’m up for more nights spent in cab :grimacing:

Noob question on face of it I know… but honestly I’m finding it so stressful to leave my stove and weeks supply of snacks at home…

What IF this happens What IF that happens…

Tryed a week local last week off tramping.
Forget it,
I’m tramping next week.
Max hours on local an travel home nope.
Now I remember why I hate local work.
They bloody broke me.
Why do they try to kill, the drivers that are left?

Wheel Nut:
Old army greatcoat, hard hat for a pillow and a tin of corned beef for rations, a decent sized vacuum flask with two cups, one for shaving, one for making a drink of lukewarm tea. :laughing:

Pull up a sandbag, swing the lantern,
Il tell you a story :smiley:

I’ve never done tramping, always night trunking. I’ve always carried a quilt (it’s a small Spiderman one for children lol) folded into a carrier bag, and laid in the bottom of my workbag. It weighs nothing and takes up no noticeable space. I always take a cushion to work - it’s a habit from my DAF CF days where the seats used to collapse to the left. It comes in very useful when lying on the bunk, and would be an acceptable pillow during an unplanned night out. In the end pouch of my workbag I’ve got a tin of beef stew, a tiny army can opener (one of those field ones which weighs about 2 grams), a pouch of rice, and a small plastic tub to heat the stew in the microwave. There’s a tablespoon in the somewhere too. Should I get stuck out in the middle of nowhere I’ve basically got a bed of some sort and one basic hot meal, and the total weight of all that gear is probably no more than 1kg. I think it’s worth it. Anything else is excessive.

Aside from those extra few items you wouldn’t really need anything else. If you’ve no microwave then a couple tins of tuna would get you through, or an all day breakfast in a can could be eaten cold. At least you wouldn’t go too hungry.

I usually take enough water to last me one shift plus a bit more, just in case. A 1 litre bottle is enough for me, but I usually drink vending machine coffee too. If not, I’d be taking 2 litres to work each night.

Ultimately, you only have to survive 9 hours extra lying on a bunk, plus a couple hours more after that.

Daf245:
Forget it,
I’m tramping next week.
They bloody broke me.

I have just completed my first week of local runs, to be honest it is hard work, I am returning to tramping next week. I was getting up early, getting home late and was physically drained from the experience. Your last comment of “Why do they try to kill, the drivers that are left?” is my sentiment also. Long distance is far easier and much less work involved.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Daf245:
Forget it,
I’m tramping next week.
They bloody broke me.

I have just completed my first week of local runs, to be honest it is hard work, I am returning to tramping next week. I was getting up early, getting home late and was physically drained from the experience. Your last comment of “Why do they try to kill, the drivers that are left?” is my sentiment also. Long distance is far easier and much less work involved.

3 x8 hours in house after 15 hours duty does ■■ you past that now
But nah government says no need for change work longer.
10 hours a day I’d have loved,
But nah run to death
Think the industry really has to look at way they treat drivers.
I’ve defo lost my sense of humour

Daf245:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Daf245:
Forget it,
I’m tramping next week.
They bloody broke me.

3 x8 hours in house after 15 hours duty does [zb] you past that now
But nah government says no need for change work longer.
10 hours a day I’d have loved,
But nah run to death
Think the industry really has to look at way they treat drivers.
I’ve defo lost my sense of humour

This is the reason I won’t do day work driving a truck

Alfa1M:
I’m seriously struggling to pack a “day bag”, after only ever doing this job as a professional tramp.

P.I.T.A cab hopping so trying to condense my bag… do you lot still take a duvet and spare set of kegs In case the brown stuff hits the fan? Or is it a phone call to company the moment you realise your in danger for a rescue mission to commence…

A real day man simply always returns to base on time, cancelling any planned work as necessary.

A planner once asked me whether I carried a duvet (on what was day work) - I laughed like the fat controller.

Franglais:
I do disagree here.
Taxi and budget hotel before any of that old stuff. Hand in receipts if it totals over your night out money.
If not paid back…examine your options…

^^^^ this x 1000. (See, we can agree on something :smiley:) I’ve had numerous occasions over the years when “my” motor has been off the road for whatever reason and I’ve used a different one on the promise of a day run which has invariably turned into rat ■■■ resulting in me being stuck out. Hotel every time, receipt pinned to expense sheet and reimbursed the next week. No drama.

Rjan:
A real day man simply always returns to base on time, cancelling any planned work as necessary.

A planner once asked me whether I carried a duvet (on what was day work) - I laughed like the fat controller.

On what time do you call returning to base on time? under drive time or WTD ? either way day work is very tiring as they can be long days and then return to base shattered but still within either time as “on time” or are you refering to “on time” in respect that you only work your own set hours regardless?

Rjan:

Alfa1M:

Spoke to a Wigan, Wincanton driver last week,
Apparently there trampers said bollox to it, day men are now getting asda Chepstow, then reload wherever,
Yup joys of days
Where forklift drivers in Wigan heinz on same rate as road drivers?

Yorkshire Tramper:

Rjan:

On what time do you call returning to base on time? under drive time or WTD ? either way day work is very tiring as they can be long days and then return to base shattered but still within either time as “on time” or are you refering to “on time” in respect that you only work your own set hours regardless?

I’m referring to “on time” as meaning within the rules laid down by law. If a return to base can’t be achieved within the rules despite my own best efforts and judgments, then it would be done outside the rules followed by the entire next day off as rest.

As for day work being shattering, I just don’t tolerate work that is routinely shattering.

Either way, when hired as a day man, that means that I’ll be home at the end of the shift, and nothing at all is carried that would be suitable for an overnight sleep in the wagon.

Rjan:
Either way, when hired as a day man, that means that I’ll be home at the end of the shift, and nothing at all is carried that would be suitable for an overnight sleep in the wagon.

Ok I now understand where you are coming from. well sounds like a fair deal to me, you wont night out as a day man but will happily complete your shift.

I think anyone looking around at the moment to see if the Grass is truly greener with rates going up, actually is as good a chance as you’ll ever get to work how it suits you (as much as a highly regulated driving job allows of course)

I have chosen in recent days who to work for, from about 7 job offers - all the agencies involved have been told I want to average no more than 10 hour days, 50 hour weeks, no weekends, no pre- 6.30am starts.

Now I know when they all tell me that’s not an issue, it will quite often be a problem, but at present it’s pack up and move on and see if the next one works out

Alfa1M:
I think anyone looking around at the moment to see if the Grass is truly greener with rates going up, actually is as good a chance as you’ll ever get to work how it suits you (as much as a highly regulated driving job allows of course)

I have chosen in recent days who to work for, from about 7 job offers - all the agencies involved have been told I want to average no more than 10 hour days, 50 hour weeks, no weekends, no pre- 6.30am starts.

Now I know when they all tell me that’s not an issue, it will quite often be a problem, but at present it’s pack up and move on and see if the next one works out

Spot on with this mate, the opportunitys are certainly knocking now, a chance to do or get into the work that you really would rather do is now.