Moved truck without tacho?

One of our 7.5 ton drivers was stopped by vosa at stirling checkpoint,
When they looked at his previous tachos they said the truck had been moved
a few km’s after he had parked up overnight and finished his tacho for the day, This had happened on 5 occasions ?
He was then interviewed under caution and told he will be reported to the fiscals office, they kept 11 of his tachos as evidence,
Talking to him in the yard today he didnt seem that worried about it :confused:
I think he is in for big trouble but he didnt seem to think so,
Would this be dealt with as 1 offence or 5 offences ■■?
Surely this would be a heavy fine or even worse ?
Has anybody got any ideas what could happen to him ■■?

Hes’ in the brown stuff serves him right braking the rules sorry no time for the numpty

If these 5 occasions were when he was parked at the yard then he should get away scot free as all he has to do is say “the gaffer must have moved it around the yard after I had gone home”. If he was on a night out at the time then he’s got less of an excuse…

Paul

i drive around the yard at some places in the morning without the tacho in, but i barely moved more than a few hundred feet.

gogzy you are guilty of knowingly falsyfying your driving record a very serious charge.

Tarmac duck:
gogzy you are guilty of knowingly falsyfying your driving record a very serious charge.

the mileometer never changes from when i get in the truck, its all private land and its to get the trucks out of the warehouse where they are stored for the night

i dont go near public roads without a tacho in or do any work. i dont run bent in anyway shape or form. im not gonna put a tacho in the truck for it to sit for half an hour while i wait for paperwork to find out what im doing then when i find out i stick the tacho in

gogzy:

Tarmac duck:

the mileometer never changes from when i get in the truck, its all private land and its to get the trucks out of the warehouse where they are stored for the night

i dont go near public roads without a tacho in or do any work. i dont run bent in anyway shape or form. im not gonna put a tacho in the truck for it to sit for half an hour while i wait for paperwork to find out what im doing then when i find out i stick the tacho in

But thats what VOSA want you to do … Show at least 15 to 30 min PVI and as your waiting for paperwork thats work or poa as long as you show manual entry on your card your covered , partly anyway…

gogzy:
i dont run bent in anyway shape or form. im not gonna put a tacho in the truck for it to sit for half an hour while i wait for paperwork to find out what im doing then when i find out i stick the tacho in

Those two sentences contradict themselves. If you aren’t recording the time spent sitting waiting for paperwork on your tacho then you ARE running bent.

Paul

driving off road used to count as other work, now it counts as driving as i understand it

stevie

Same stupid driver got 3 points and £60 fine today :unamused:
was caught talking on his phone, and he had bluetooth earpiece in his pocket :question: :open_mouth:

Just a wee update on this, driver was called up to court in stirling and fined £500 !!
Thought he would have got a more severe punishment for 6 offences ?

glesgatrucker:
Just a wee update on this, driver was called up to court in stirling and fined £500 !!

It seems a fair punishment for the tacho offences!

glesgatrucker:

was caught talking on his phone, and he had bluetooth earpiece in his pocket :question: :open_mouth:

Followed by the loss of his vocational licence for a month for using the phone whilst driving.

Wheel Nut:

glesgatrucker:

Followed by the loss of his vocational licence for a month for using the phone whilst driving.

Too lenient!! At least a £1000 fine, plus total loss of his vocational licence and forced to re-test. Re-test to follow a “three strikes and you’re out” rule…

And the worst part of all ■■?
Am on holiday this week and he is driving about in my truck ! !
:cry: :cry::smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

glesgatrucker:

now he has committed them offences, dose that mean it would be hard for him to get a new job as a lorry driver?

Here’s another scenario. If you are taking a truck to/from a garage near your base say 10km away for repair work do you still need to be using a tachograph chart. I’ve been using a chart and carrying my cards even if thats the only driving I do that day. Other drivers are not using a chart saying you don’t need one if it’s coming back from repair but I always thought that that exemption was only for mechanics road testing a vehicle.

tofer:
Here’s another scenario. If you are taking a truck to/from a garage near your base say 10km away for repair work do you still need to be using a tachograph chart. I’ve been using a chart and carrying my cards even if thats the only driving I do that day. Other drivers are not using a chart saying you don’t need one if it’s coming back from repair but I always thought that that exemption was only for mechanics road testing a vehicle.

You need to use the tacho. As you say the exemption is only for a vehicle undergoing a road test and taking it for repair there would be nothing to test and you would have expected the fitter to have road tested it before you collect it.

Thanks for the quick reply Coffeholic, I thought that was the case but I thought I won’t get in trouble for doing but might for not doing it so better do it.

i thought that as soon as you go on duty you are working to tacho regs/driving hour laws etc…
if you drive anywhere then you should be recording it :confused: :unamused:

I believe you don’t need to record it if the vehicle and you do not go on the road in that day as WTD doesn’t apply to offroad driving provided you don’t goon the road at any point.

Otherwise even if you only drive for 10 mins you should record it and your other working time otherwise how do they know you are taking your correct daily / weekly rest?