Motorway speed limits cut to 50 sunday express

I hope these green loons will pay for extra journey times …6mph cut does not sound a lot …interesting

But as the long 50 zones on motorways already prove we all end up doing 45mph up the ■■■ of people in the middle lane unwilling to move over.

I tootle along at 50 without a care in the world anyway so no issues here :laughing:

Same here., 53 max, …but I’m never in a hurry anyhow, hourly rate and all that and I aint an owner driver nor an idiot.

Motorways would run a lot better if there wasn’t as much meddling with flashing signs and made up reasons for speed restrictions.

As said, 50 becomes 45 in our world

Its the Welsh who want to bring more 50mph limits on the M4 further. They will just get away with it

WheelsofCardiff:
Its the Welsh who want to bring more 50mph limits on the M4 further. They will just get away with it

They seem to have an obsession with reducing speed limits whether it’s main roads or residential ones.

I wonder if any of these idiots bothered to actually check the optimum speed for best fuel economy for any particular car/engine combo and then looked to see where the optimum speed was that would maximize this?

Between German car makers lying about emissions and the fact that 50 MPH may not actually be the most efficient speed to run at, these eco-loonies constantly prove what brain-dead morons they actually are.

56/60 or 50 on a 100 mile run the time difference will hardly be noticed,considering you put your boot to floor and then come up to an RTA or a diversion any time booting it has gone. Sooner do 50 all day long than 56/60 for 20 mile and 30/40 for the next 20.
Many years ago I did a Scania driving course,and decided to put what I was told to the test, on the same run,60 on the 1st day and 50 on the 2nd and the time difference was a mere 9 minutes,simply by letting the engine torque do the work.

lolipop:
56/60 or 50 on a 100 mile run the time difference will hardly be noticed,considering you put your boot to floor and then come up to an RTA or a diversion any time booting it has gone. Sooner do 50 all day long than 56/60 for 20 mile and 30/40 for the next 20.
Many years ago I did a Scania driving course,and decided to put what I was told to the test, on the same run,60 on the 1st day and 50 on the 2nd and the time difference was a mere 9 minutes,simply by letting the engine torque do the work.

That’s because you’re a driver as opposed to a steerer.
It’s like when you follow these tear arse artists on a main road with a series of roundabouts, they’re foot to floor with intervals of serious braking at every roundabout, brajelights coming on at 50 yards off. :unamused:
If you keep a steady pace behind him on the flat and use your exhaust brake/retarder at a distance while approaching each roundabout, instead of hammering your brakes, the idiot without a second to spare is always there when you catch him up. :unamused:

lolipop:

I’ve had to do a night out 5 mins from the yard ( lay-by before garage at north muskham ) , lay-by just after exit for balderton , so those mere 9 mins would of got me home for the night , that why my foot was always not to the floor , it was through it ( not literally, but you get the jist )
As I say those 9 mins may mean nothing to you , but to me it was a cooked meal / my bed , not a lay-by , a pot noodle , can of lilt ( that bit was for rob )

dozy:

lolipop:

I’ve had to do a night out 5 mins from the yard ( lay-by before garage at north muskham ) , lay-by just after exit for balderton , so those mere 9 mins would of got me home for the night , that why my foot was always not to the floor , it was through it ( not literally, but you get the jist )
As I say those 9 mins may mean nothing to you , but to me it was a cooked meal / my bed , not a lay-by , a pot noodle , can of lilt ( that bit was for rob )

Dozy that could happen even if you had booted it all day long,time is time thats how it goes,next time don`t stop for pee hold it til you get back.

dozy:

lolipop:

Maybe you should have done a bit of that ‘‘Forward planning’’ you were trying to teach me the other day doze.
Ring wife/mate/colleague/son/daughter or your bit on the side to meet you at said lay by at certain time, curtains across, get a lift home, eat yer steak dinner, bed at home and 10 and a half hours later, catch the lift back to the lay by (that you’ve arranged the night before.) so you ain’t stuck in a ■■■■ lay by 10 mins from home…and you get an extra 30 quid or whatever for your (dodgy) night out. :bulb: :sunglasses:

Forward planning doze, forward planning. :wink:

dozy:

Should have just pulled the card.

dave docwra:

dozy:

Should have just pulled the card.

He’s already tried that and it cost him £700+ in Magistrates Court…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

dozy:

lolipop:

Brilliantly timed Doze, couldn’t have done better mesen.
Pity no one could be arsed to come and pick you up so you could enjoy a proper perfectly timed dodgy night out, hope you remember that.
Lost count of the number of those i’ve had, whether log booking back in the days when lorry drivers looked after each other, or getting someone :wink: to meet you.
As Robroy mentions, preferably a pre planned lift back in the morn from one of your colleagues, assuming trustworthy.

Ah the old…

Dodgy night out. Nothing more satisfying than a relaxing shower at home, steak dinner and possibly an early morning session with the wife/girlfriend/next doors wife knowing, you’re £25 up on the deal.

All ruined now with real time trackers etc.

Juddian:

dozy:

lolipop:

Pity no one could be arsed to come and pick you up so you could enjoy a proper perfectly timed dodgy night out, hope you remember that.
Lost count of the number of those i’ve had, whether log booking back in the days when lorry drivers looked after each other, or getting someone :wink: to meet you.
As Robroy mentions, preferably a pre planned lift back in the morn from one of your colleagues, assuming trustworthy.

Thing is though,.afaik he’s been in this game for as long as (maybe longer) than us.
How tf has he not picked up on all (or even some) of this stuff himself over the years. :neutral_face:

robroy:

Juddian:

dozy:

lolipop:

Thing is though,.afaik he’s been in this game for as long as (maybe longer) than us.
How tf has he not picked up on all (or even some) of this stuff himself over the years. :neutral_face:

If you think back to the old log book days of dodgy nights out, very few went past you once you raised your book, it was usually the early versions of logitics outfits who employed the new breed of non driver.
It still carried on with tacho cards, many drivers kept an old log book as lift required board with a couple of tacho discs stuck to it.
I’ve thumbed hundreds of miles and met some decent sticks.

Where i lived at the time there were probably 10 local firms equally split between own account and hire and reward that you could be 99% certain would stop and pick you up, i’ve had times when coming down the dual carriageway on the way back to the yard and been overtaken by one of those ( or going past him), he’d give you a pip on the horn and wave his log book and you’d give him the thumbs up signal, then you’d follow him to whichever layby or one of the regular market town parking areas he was stopping at and pick him up, had the same done for me.
Woe betide anyone from these companies who didn’t stop, if you got his number and told the next one of theirs about it he’d get a right bollocking and find himself struggling for lifts from his own mates.

One of the local firms operated a few transporters and ran lots of trade platers, i’ve had 4 platers in the cab before now, 1 on the passenger seat and 3 sitting on the bed, in the fullness of time i ended up starting driving transporters for the same outfit.

Those days weren’t perfect of course, but you and i and a most lorry drivers who started out when drivers looked out for each other miss the closeness that drivers had for each other.

Nothing better than washing eating drinking and any other activities whilst trousering a tax free allowance, only thing that came close was being on job and knock and getting £12 an hour whilst ‘visiting’ a special ‘friend’ :sunglasses:

^^^^^^^^^^^
In my own motor I often used to leave it at Charnock Richard MSA over the weekend to come back to load on the Monday (unofficial free parking in those days, and very little truck crime) maybe after a Fri night out in Park Hall nightclub across the field from the services :smiley:
I would stand no longer than 5 minutes carrying a bag and holding out a tacho disc, before somebody picked me up,.sane story the following Monday on m.way junction.
I personally never went past a driver holding a tacho in those days, it’s just what you did.