Motorway slip roads

Have the rules changed? I thought that when you join a motorway from a slip road you build up speed and adjust it if necessary to enter the motorway when there is space to. Why is it then that 3 times this week moron car drivers have decided that they would prefer to go under my wheels than slow down? During these occasions I have not been able to pull over due to traffic in the next lane then again why should I, I will pull over for trucks if is safe as they will probably not undertake me like many cars would

Thems the rules matey, i too pull over if it’s safe to do so but some people seem to think that it’s their god given right to be able to just pull onto he main carriage way.

I also don’t understand why some drivers (both cars and trucks) brake heavilly just to allow these people to join the main carriage way causing all sorts of problems for everyone else

agree then when you cant move, and they brake, hit the horn, flash there lights and come passed you flicking the solitary finger. And your the badest fatherless driver in the whole universe. Im lucky because im left hand drive and i actually look them in the eyes as there atempting the monuvere, shaking my head in time with them.I know it`s ignorant but why yeild when the highwaycode says the opposite to what they expect to happen.

what annoys me more is when they come belting down the slip road at a decent speed but instead of smoothly pulling in front of you they panic and hit the brakes because they’re frightened by the size of your vehicle :unamused: then they run out of road and have to virtually stop.

I pull over if it’s safe to do so regardless of what vehicle is joining, car bike, bus or truck.

I’ve seen plenty of trucks come hammering down and expect you to move out of their way too.

I think we’ve made a rod for our own back, because lorry drivers quite often pull over out of courtesy, drivers now think that they have the right of way.
This seems different on the continent, drivers seem much better at judging their entrance onto the motorway.

I really can’t understand how some drivers make a hash of getting onto a motorway, cars can out accelerate, go faster and out brake a truck. surely that gives enough options to either join the motorway in front of behind a truck.

An argument for car driver retraining I think.

prdcb1:
that 3 times this week moron car drivers have decided that they would prefer to go under my wheels than slow down?

Were any of them B.M.W.s?

muckles:
I think we’ve made a rod for our own back, because lorry drivers quite often pull over out of courtesy, drivers now think that they have the right of way.

Muckles, I think you have hit the nail on the head there mate. This problem has been getting worse lately and I think too many truck drivers pull over as soon as they see cars wanting to filter in. Then your left out in the centre lane trying to get back in. If there is a lot of traffic ahead its far easier to slow down a tad and leave a gap then you can watch them fight it out ahead of you as they fly down the slip road, then when they see your gap its all sorted out. So you lose a little speed but on balance its safer. Like you say though if its just you and a car they can try to go under your wheels, incredible, blast of the horn wakes them up.
Im a bit p’d off with trucks that you pull over for leaving you in the centre lane though, twice last week. I suspect a bit of eletism going on here though, Im drivig a 4 wheeler right now, they were artics.
Phil

There are far too many people out there using the roads who have a selfish attitude. To them it’s all me me me :imp: :imp:

No brainers with no regard or respect for anyone except themselves and the first to cry when it happens to them :cry: :wink:

More education is needed for our roads. You can pass your driving test at 11:00am and be on a motorway at 11:15 with no training whatsoever - where is the sense in that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Driver tests have got to be made compulsory for driving on motorways.

It is ridiculous that you can drive a car on the motorway when you have never seen one before

I sat with an HGV learner last year. My advice was help out anyone when you can and only if its safe to do so — especially trucks, busses and anyone towing. If its not safe / possible, don’t worry about it and let them sort themselves out. And don’t think you have to do it!

But you also have to think about how a courteous move out / slow down etc will affect traffic behind you. If its going to make life difficult for someone else, then its best to stay where you are — to be honest, how many of us really feel intimidated if we get a hand shandy sign?

spaceman:
I sat with an HGV learner last year. My advice was help out anyone when you can and only if its safe to do so — especially trucks, busses and anyone towing. If its not safe / possible, don’t worry about it and let them sort themselves out. And don’t think you have to do it!

But you also have to think about how a courteous move out / slow down etc will affect traffic behind you. If its going to make life difficult for someone else, then its best to stay where you are — to be honest, how many of us really feel intimidated if we get a hand shandy sign?

Thats really good advice, by qualifying it by adding how a courteous move may affect someone else.
As to the hand shandy sign, I always find that blowing a kiss or sticking your tongue out causes a look of confusion.
I had an AA van pull out in front of me once and I had to anchor up hard, I was fuming. then the AA man made a sign of shooting HIMSELF in the head with 2 fingers, I just had to laugh, defused the situation, and we ALL make mistakes, were only human, best to learn from them. I did have a guy in a van in London threaten to shoot me once when he tried to cut me up, not at all funny though :open_mouth:
Phil

Freebird:
As to the hand shandy sign, I always find that blowing a kiss or sticking your tongue out causes a look of confusion.
I had an AA van pull out in front of me once and I had to anchor up hard, I was fuming. then the AA man made a sign of shooting HIMSELF in the head with 2 fingers, I just had to laugh, defused the situation, and we ALL make mistakes, were only human, best to learn from them.
Phil

If you get worked up at every mistake somebody makes then you’re going to end up blowing a gasket and heading down the road rage route.
I find it better to accept peoples mistakes with a smile, I’ve found it make me alot more mellow than I used to be. although some drivers are so incompentant or arrogant it ends up more of a look of :open_mouth: .

muckles wrote:

i agree mate
this happens all the time to me. what would happen though if i couldnt pull out cos i’d wipe out a family who are quite legitimately overtaking me, can’t brake cos theres a car 2 feet from my bumper, the car joining expects me to pull over so doesnt slow down or speeds up to join, runs out of road and crashes :question: is it my fault and will i be prosecuted cos being a ‘professional driver’ i can see what is about to happen and do not take avoiding action ?
this has been on my mind for a while, i think i can remember seeing something similar on here a while back.

Dogmanbodie:
There are far too many people out there using the roads who have a selfish attitude. To them it’s all me me me :imp: :imp:

No brainers with no regard or respect for anyone except themselves and the first to cry when it happens to them :cry: :wink:

More education is needed for our roads. You can pass your driving test at 11:00am and be on a motorway at 11:15 with no training whatsoever - where is the sense in that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Absolutely right, said this many times, more training is required and a constant barrage of TV ads about road and driver safety and behaviour aimed at all drivers, reminding them of the rules of the road.

this happens all the time to me. what would happen though if i couldnt pull out cos i’d wipe out a family who are quite legitimately overtaking me, can’t brake cos theres a car 2 feet from my bumper, the car joining expects me to pull over so doesnt slow down or speeds up to join, runs out of road and crashes.

I think all you can reasonably do in that situation is brake and keep it in a straight line. Better to hit the one in front, or being shunted from behind, than swerving and hitting loads.

spaceman:

this happens all the time to me. what would happen though if i couldnt pull out cos i’d wipe out a family who are quite legitimately overtaking me, can’t brake cos theres a car 2 feet from my bumper, the car joining expects me to pull over so doesnt slow down or speeds up to join, runs out of road and crashes.

I think all you can reasonably do in that situation is brake and keep it in a straight line. Better to hit the one in front, or being shunted from behind, than swerving and hitting loads.

Nearly happened to me on the A1 near Doncaster. Rush hour so the A1 is full and I see a load of cars coming down the slip road no problem room in front for them.
Then the first car stops at the end of the slip road, but all the other cars get on the A1. However the last car in the queue sees the stopped car and stops right in front of me to let them join the A1. :confused: :open_mouth:
didn’t have time to hit the horn to busy jumping on the brakes, New trailer and unit, full ABS, lightish load and dry roads probally saved the drivers life, but it was that close. Once the car had joined the A1 they both speed away leaving me at a halt on the A1 waiting for the carsh from behind.

Wheel Nut:
Driver tests have got to be made compulsory for driving on motorways.

It is ridiculous that you can drive a car on the motorway when you have never seen one before

Well it’s true, but all driving test routes have to include a stretch of dual carriageway, which is exactly the same principle as a motorway, the speeds are all broadly similar as is the design of the roads.
Trouble is people think ‘ooo no its a motorway what do i do!?’ rather than just think, it’s a dual carriageway with a hard shoulder.

spaceman:
to be honest, how many of us really feel intimidated if we get a hand shandy sign?

i normally return the compliment :laughing:

I have had drivers attempt to undertake me on the sliproad and then, instead of sloing down when they realise they aren’ going to make it, keep going and undertake me using the hard shoulder!

Dapper Scavenger:
I have had drivers attempt to undertake me on the sliproad and then, instead of slowing down when they realise they aren’ going to make it, keep going and undertake me using the hard shoulder!

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me Dapper.