motorway signs

dont know about anyone else but i am getting irritated by these signs which i assume are by the highways agency,if they are done by the h/agency i would like to know which muppet thinks them up,for example and we have all seen them, TAKE EXTRA CARE WHEN TOWING,BIN YOUR LITTER OTHER PEOPLE DO,do they actually believe this rubbish,all i can say is they can only be bored and sit there thinking about what they can put up there,not only that it is also distracting,

The ones that puzzle me are when travelling south on m1 the sign will say delays m8 or somewhere miles away !It can’t just be me ?

Yes. I saw “NATIONAL COURTESY DAY - DON’T CUT IN” once. “CHECK YOUR FUEL”. What’s next “BLOW YOUR NOSE” ?

Anyone else noticed how whatever is going on with M6 Toll you always see “M6 Toll Clear” on approach?

I spotted M6 closed at junctions 1 & 2 the other week whilst on the M5 at Exeter a full 3 hrs plus away. :confused:

Some of the rubbish they put out is just a distraction… why don’t they use them to name an shame… i.e the reg number and your driving like a knob…lol

Whats nexts… HAVE YOU GOT TICHEY BALLS… PULL OVER AT SERVICES FOR A SCRATCH AND A COFFEE…lmao

They are a joke, I mean the ‘litter’ one…exactly how much litter do you see strewn all over any motorway ■■?

Personally think the matrix signs are all a bit of joke, i’m sure they’ve caused accidents themselves. Seen far to many examples of a clear road ahead, not much traffic & for no reason sign is set to 40. Cars that where screaming down lane 3 all suddenly brake down to 40 causing mayhem & then low and behold bugger all problem and the next sign is back to national limit !!

Name and shame would be interesting though if it could be done.

Bin your litter other people do, no they don’t otherwise you wouldn’t put the sign up

What can I say baldbloke, lucky every single car around you was only going to bristol and not travelling onto the M6.

Personally I don’t see what’s wrong with them. If it makes one person think about having enough fuel meaning they don’t breakdown, get out their car and get killed on the motorway surely it’s worth it.

Has any one heard of Midas? It means motorway incident detection & automatic signalling and means if say a crane or wide load travelling slowly goes over a loop it sets signals a distance back to warn of it, it’s hardly the HA’s fault if a douche decides to anchor up is it, driver error maybe? Hell, we wouldn’t want a driver to take the blame.

The sign campaigns have a lot of thought given to them and believe it or not, many signs are purposely turned off so as not to create sign blindness I.e you see so many you ignore them, but who ignores our signs though hey? Oh, most people.

All I can say is at least you’re expressing your views and they are being answered. Whilst on the subject of whining about something the HA do, I’ll give you some back on what infuriates me and my colleagues.

Why do lgv drivers feel it’s acceptable to stop for a pee when no junctions are more than 10 minutes apart?

Why do lgv drivers feel it’s acceptable to through trucker tizer out onto the road where I work?

Why do lgv drivers feel it’s ok to drive down the rumble strip and onto the hard shoulder to read paperwork or change a cd whilst I’m parked there helping someone?

Why do lgv drivers feels it’s acceptable to break the lass and drive under a red X exlspacially since you’re all professional drivers?

(I know this doesn’t apply to all drivers, I find the majority professional, thoughtful and friendly but if if not and the cap fits,)

Just think of it that you’re keeping people employed

How about the old classic? SIGN NOT IN USE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

bald bloke:
I spotted M6 closed at junctions 1 & 2 the other week whilst on the M5 at Exeter a full 3 hrs plus away. :confused:

You were 3+ hours away, so that means the delays were over 3 hours as the signs are set at the same time to travel as the delay, that way when you get on the back of the queue you only have yourself to blame.

if you really think these signs are wrong why do you think complaining on some random website will make any difference?? Complain to the Highways Agency, at least then they will listen, they wont listen to some made up username on a website, obvious really.

Personally I think the ones that say PLEASE KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE are very applicable to an awful lot of drivers.
Just a pity drivers tend to ignore these signs or think they are a waste of time. :unamused:

I find the “Fog” sign very useful. Trouble is, you can hardly make it out, it’s so foggy. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or ‘strong winds.slow down.’ Glad you told me that as I’ve come right across the M62 and hadn’t noticed :unamused:

Big Jase:
Personally I don’t see what’s wrong with them. If it makes one person think about having enough fuel meaning they don’t breakdown, get out their car and get killed on the motorway surely it’s worth

(I know this doesn’t apply to all drivers, I find the majority professional, thoughtful and friendly but if if not and the cap fits,)

So do you believe that a sign saying ‘check your fuel’ after you come out of a services is a real life saver then ■■

Is it to much to ask that a sign saying this is prior to the services !!

And to think someone is actually paid to come up with this, surely it’s not to much to ask to get it right !!

Have you not driven past some of these signs yourself and thought to yourself ‘come on what’s the point in that’ and done something about it.

Or the sign that says “END” err of what exactly? Lol have I missed something? ■■? But the bin your litter one is a pain in the ■■■.
Was stuck on the m6 towards Knutsford last tuesday sat not moving matrix was flashing 40 and the message was " think bike think biker" great thanks how about you tell us why we are sat stationary again.

truckman20:
dont know about anyone else but i am getting irritated by these signs which i assume are by the highways agency,if they are done by the h/agency i would like to know which muppet thinks them up,for example and we have all seen them, TAKE EXTRA CARE WHEN TOWING,BIN YOUR LITTER OTHER PEOPLE DO,do they actually believe this rubbish,all i can say is they can only be bored and sit there thinking about what they can put up there,not only that it is also distracting,

Posted today, youtube.com/watch?feature=p … m8JnTfr06U

Posted this month
gov.uk/government/news/6-mi … road-users
assets.highways.gov.uk/about-us/ … ooklet.pdf

cleanhighways.co.uk/andrew-gwynne-mp/7221

Boo9729:
They are a joke, I mean the ‘litter’ one…exactly how much litter do you see strewn all over any motorway ■■?

See above

th2013:
“CHECK YOUR FUEL”. What’s next “BLOW YOUR NOSE” ?

cfoa.org.uk/download/34802

Thes are only the figures they know about.

There’s a few bit’s to be going on with, It’s ok criticizing but people are trying to rectify some of the ■■■■ up’s that happen.
Remember you may only actually see a snapshot of what is happening at any given time.

speedyguy:

truckman20:

Posted today, youtube.com/watch?feature=p … m8JnTfr06U

Posted this month
gov.uk/government/news/6-mi … road-users
assets.highways.gov.uk/about-us/ … ooklet.pdf

cleanhighways.co.uk/andrew-gwynne-mp/7221

Boo9729:
They are a joke, I mean the 'litter
’ one…exactly how much litter do you see strewn all over any motorway ■■?

See above

th2013:
“CHECK YOUR FUEL”. What’s next “BLOW YOUR NOSE” ?

cfoa.org.uk/download/34802

Thes are only the figures they know about.

There’s a few bit’s to be going on with, It’s ok criticizing but people are trying to rectify some of the [zb] up’s that happen.
Remember you may only actually see a snapshot of what is happening at any given time.

Some interesting figures thrown around in those reports. So how does it cost £40 per bag of rubbish collected? Would be interesting to see that figure broken down.

How about a novel idea of actually having bins in laybys & not just one or none at all. Might not sound much but I’m sure somewhere to put rubbish would help in the long run.

I do believe if things improved with amenities both in laybys & services a huge amount if this litter problem would be resolved, and I’m sorry but spending a fortune on matrix signs doesn’t cut the mustard with me. That time and money could and should be spent on providing something for rubbish to go in.

The best is when they lower the speed limit to 60, so everyone starts crawling along at 20 for the next mile or so. Then they begin to speed up and another sign comes with a lower speed and you’re in crawling traffic til you roll over and die.

Best one i ever saw on the M5 read " Beware Oncoming Traffic " tell you what , that made me wake up and stay alert :open_mouth: :open_mouth: