motorway signs

Daytrunker:
Or the sign that says “END” err of what exactly? Lol have I missed something? ■■? But the bin your litter one is a pain in the ■■■.
Was stuck on the m6 towards Knutsford last tuesday sat not moving matrix was flashing 40 and the message was " think bike think biker" great thanks how about you tell us why we are sat stationary again.

When traffic is stationary, people tend to open their door and get out to stretch their legs so maybe that sign is pertinent? Imagine your injury opening the door as a bike filters through.

I’ve only ever heard once of a check your fuel level past a services but to be fair, if people didn’t dump their rubbish out the window or run out of fuel, we wouldn’t put the signs up in the first place. Why don’t we put up ‘remember to wash your windscreen’ it’s not needed as it doesn’t really hurt anyone and you should have common sense to do it but people DO run out of fuel. Only this week, a guy 1 miles past the services out of fuel. Puts his own life at risk and then mine and my oppos, and for what? If he had been hit and killed and hundreds of trucks were stuck missing drop offs and days off etc, how many drivers would say “bloody Highways Agency, millions spent on signs that sit idle, why don’t they put up little reminders”

Better if they had something on the lines check your lights or Do you really need your fog lights on ■■

Daytrunker:
Or the sign that says “END” err of what exactly? Lol have I missed something? ■■? But the bin your litter one is a pain in the ■■■.
Was stuck on the m6 towards Knutsford last tuesday sat not moving matrix was flashing 40 and the message was " think bike think biker" great thanks how about you tell us why we are sat stationary again.

When traffic is stationary, people tend to open their door and get out to stretch their legs so maybe that sign is pertinent? Imagine your injury opening the door as a bike filters through.

I’ve only ever heard once of a check your fuel level past a services but to be fair, if people didn’t dump their rubbish out the window or run out of fuel, we wouldn’t put the signs up in the first place. Why don’t we put up ‘remember to wash your windscreen’ it’s not needed as it doesn’t really hurt anyone and you should have common sense to do it but people DO run out of fuel. Only this week, a guy 1 miles past the services out of fuel. Puts his own life at risk and then mine and my oppos, and for what? If he had been hit and killed and hundreds of trucks were stuck missing drop offs and days off etc, how many drivers would say “bloody Highways Agency, millions spent on signs that sit idle, why don’t they put up little reminders”

albion1971:
Personally I think the ones that say PLEASE KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE are very applicable to an awful lot of drivers.
Just a pity drivers tend to ignore these signs or think they are a waste of time. :unamused:

I think the matrix boards displaying “albion1971 please change the record” would be very much welcomed by everyone.

They’re certainly missing a trick with these boards. With all the camera technology available they should target specific cars with messages.
‘Would the muppet in the rover in lane 2 move over out of everyone’s way’
‘The chav in the saxo turn your front fogs off, you look like a ■■■’
Imagine the fun you could have in the control room.

Left hand down!:

albion1971:
Personally I think the ones that say PLEASE KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE are very applicable to an awful lot of drivers.
Just a pity drivers tend to ignore these signs or think they are a waste of time. :unamused:

I think the matrix boards displaying “albion1971 please change the record” would be very much welcomed by everyone.

It obviously bothers you that I keep mentioning about lorries that travel far too close to each other the same as it does with a few others on here.It does not bother everyone as you like to think.
It is not hard to work out why it bothers you either!

What bothers me is the fact some drivers never learn.We keep hearing of these horrendous pile ups yet everyday we still see the same thing…lorries nose to tail…yes and cars as well.

Do you not think this type of moronic driving should be dealt with? The keep a safe distance signs are there to try to get through to these thick drivers but to no avail with some.I wonder why?

Big Jase:

Daytrunker:

but people DO run out of fuel. Only this week, a guy 1 miles past the services out of fuel. Puts his own life at risk and then mine and my oppos, and for what? If he had been hit and killed and hundreds of trucks were stuck missing drop offs and days off etc, how many drivers would say “bloody Highways Agency, millions spent on signs that sit idle, why don’t they put up little reminders”

Stupid ■■■■■ like this deserve points on their licence due to their incompetence in not being able to read the fuel gauge in a car :unamused:
How the ■■■■ people do this is beyond me, maybe they’re not wanting to pay service station prices so they carry on hoping they can get to a local garage before they run out?? What they don’t realise in the long run is it costs them a hell of a lot more to be recovered off the H/S :laughing:

Big Jase:

Daytrunker:

OMG you actually had a real life event to back up your point, how convenient… :wink:
I feel the signs although incredibly useful for important live saving messages are being under-utilizied when the road ahead is clear.
Just because one person has done something once is no real justification for badly thought out phrases on matix signs. Why not have one that says ‘Check you haven’t left the kids at the services, others do’
Telling someone to bin their litter because others do may just have the opposite affect as we all hate being told what to do.

Why not have some happy messages instead, like ‘Road Clear- Have a Nice Day’ or ‘Make Love not Tea’ or ‘Congratulations on making it this far in that’ or ‘Hug a High Viz’

Dipper Dave…nice to see someone with normal logic!

I kept seeing stupid signs on the approach to the M9 - it said “M9 Bridges 4.8M - Check your height”

I had a 4.9xxM trailer, stopped and called the muppets at traffic Scotland, they said the height restriction is well known and I should not have took the M9 with a tall trailer, total ■■■■■■■■! A matrix sign is not compliant in the TSRGD to enforce a height restriction.

It was the first time I had been up there and I cant help thinking how pathetic it is, the legal limit is 5M unless signed otherwise.

I saw one saying "DRIVE TO ROAD CONDITIONS "…i spent 3 hours looking but i coudnt find the place !! :laughing:

The one that gets me every time is m25 between 23 and 27 A red X means lane clossed!!! At 3am i see about a handful of trucks and cars but no red X’s

Dan Punchard:
The ones that puzzle me are when travelling south on m1 the sign will say delays m8 or somewhere miles away !It can’t just be me ?

its not, i have seen them as well

vysie:
The one that gets me every time is m25 between 23 and 27 A red X means lane clossed!!! At 3am i see about a handful of trucks and cars but no red X’s

saw that one today,annoying,i have been driving 30 years and i would not have known what it meant had i not seen the sign, LOL

th2013:
Yes. I saw “NATIONAL COURTESY DAY - DON’T CUT IN” once. “CHECK YOUR FUEL”. What’s next “BLOW YOUR NOSE” ?

Anyone else noticed how whatever is going on with M6 Toll you always see “M6 Toll Clear” on approach?

i think its a conspiracy they block the M6 near the toll section then put the sign up,i reckon the highways and police are getting a backhander from the owners of the toll rd

Tooz:
I saw one saying "DRIVE TO ROAD CONDITIONS "…i spent 3 hours looking but i coudnt find the place !! :laughing:

like it LOL,bit like these wealthy people saying they come from poverty,must be a big place this poverty but you could never find it

“Bin your litter, other people do”

oh ok, if other people bin my litter then i’ll keep throwing it out onto lane 2 then.

truckman20:

vysie:

saw that one today,annoying,i have been driving 30 years and i would not have known what it meant had i not seen the sign, LOL

It’s for the terminally and inanely stupid it only opened this week and thick f@cks need reminding
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be … s-27019957
roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3521.html
roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3521.html

I’d like to see a bit more info on the signs when they’re telling you there’s an incident ahead - tell us which lane is affected as well so we (or some of us anyway) can move over early rather than everybody trying to shuffle over when they actually get to it. There wS one on the M6 earlier ehich actually showed lane 1 closed - great, please do it more often :slight_smile:

scaniason:
I’d like to see a bit more info on the signs when they’re telling you there’s an incident ahead - tell us which lane is affected as well so we (or some of us anyway) can move over early rather than everybody trying to shuffle over when they actually get to it. There wS one on the M6 earlier ehich actually showed lane 1 closed - great, please do it more often :slight_smile:

+1 , lane 1 closed , 2 vehicle bump nothing serious. Something like that would be good “might” stop some people from being nosey and drive by and have a quick look , instead of getting to the accident taking pics/vids then all of a sudden shooting off