Motorway Matrix Signs - what use?

A couple of days ago on the AI(M) I encountered two overhead matrix signs saying “slow down - surface water”, one saying “spray - slow down” and one saying “fog”. All four were in bright sunlight and on a dry motorway. Not one of the prediction was right.
I also saw several telling me such useful things as “28 miles 30 minutes to XZY”.

To my mind, the first four simply devalue the signs themselves. Why should I believe any of them when so many are wrong? The “distance to” signs seem to me to serve no useful purpose at all.

I am in favour of signage that serves a purpose and if these signs were used for REAL problems ahead they would have some value. Certainly, “oncoming vehicle”, “debris in carriage” etc, need to be taken more seriously.

On the plus side, I saw a couple saying “use the inside lane except when overtaking” and “don’t hog the middle lane”. This is advice that many motorway users can benefit from.

Bearing in mind that these signs are (supposedly) advisory, what do my leraned friends think is the best use of them?

yeah waste of time those signs
whats the point of telling you how many minutes to get to somewhere
when everyone is driving at different speeds
and what about those 50mph average speed limits on the M6 junction 6 to 8
i always go flat out or 88 km per hour or 54/55 mph and never get a ticket
and what about those so called managed motorways
M42 or M6 junctions 3a to 5 or M6 junction 9 to 10a
if the sign comes up for example 40 mph
i go past about 50 , the cars carry on going 70 odd mph
yet no one seems to get flashed
i take it they dont work

villa:
i take it they dont work

My understanding is that these signs are ‘advisory’ in most cases. Ignoring them is not an offence in itself, although the fact that you did ignore them may be used in evidence to strengthen a careless driving charge, for instance.

But your post underlines my point. No-one takes them seriously so they don’t work. They could be useful but never will be as long as they are put to petty uses. A waste of a potential asset IMHO, but other opinions are welcome.

OnlyAlan:

villa:
i take it they dont work

My understanding is that these signs are ‘advisory’ in most cases. Ignoring them is not an offence in itself, although the fact that you did ignore them may be used in evidence to strengthen a careless driving charge, for instance.

But your post underlines my point. No-one takes them seriously so they don’t work. They could be useful but never will be as long as they are put to petty uses. A waste of a potential asset IMHO, but other opinions are welcome.

If you go through a 50 mph average speed area at 55 mph you probably won’t get done because I believe you’re usually allowed 10% + 2 mph, so you would usually need to be doing over 57 mph to get a ticket, there have been posts on TN by people who have been caught by the average speed cameras.

As far as I’m aware the cameras on managed parts of motorways don’t flash they do work though.

As far as the other matrix signs are concerned I agree they’re a great idea but the way they’re operated leaves a lot to be desired.

I’ve seen the ones on the m25 (heathrow to the A3) flash at cars as I’m going the opposite direction but I’ll carry on at 50+ when it says 40 & nothing happens, I don’t get them…!?
Also in roadworks you see mr TNT etc belting it through specs cameras, I wonder if they ever get done, (I don’t count the continental motors as they are free to do as they please & get away with it)… :open_mouth:

And why are they telling you to plan for the olympics? Is there a government agenda here to big it up as there are more “couldn’t give a toss” (me included) than “I’m looking forward to it.”
And how about “biker think” not “think bike”■■

If you pass a sign with a red circle around it it’s compulsory not advisory…

jezza clarkson had the right idea when he said they should put up jokes’ as they’d be more useful than 3 day old information. :smiley:

Truckulent:
If you pass a sign with a red circle around it it’s compulsory not advisory…

thanks i never knew that, il bare that in mind next time i see one on my journey around the uk :confused:

Some of the speed limit signs and others like “Queue on slip road” appear to be put up at the same time of day irrespective of level of traffic, also consecutive signs that say ‘50’, ‘40’, ‘National Speed limit’, when in fact nothing has changed trafficwise on the road.Or the really hilarious one that says “Slow down 40” when in fact you’d be chuffed to be doing more than 10 mph. My thought is that when there is a genuine need for some kind of driver action no one takes any notice.You can spend many millions of our money on this potentially useful technology then get an eejit to run it…Any thoughts

On the m6 near Walsall they say congestion use hard shoulder and there’s only me who uses it :wink: great on a Friday afternoon. :smiley:

When it’s raining I’d like to see the matrix sign say TURN YOUR ■■■■■■■ FOG LIGHTS OFF YOU ■■■■ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A l c:
On the m6 near Walsall they say congestion use hard shoulder and there’s only me who uses it :wink: great on a Friday afternoon. :smiley:

That’s because as soon as you go in it, the next matrix says “use hard shoulder for J9 only” or something, and then you’ve got to fight your way back out…

Also, on Friday they had that sign up “use hard shoulder…” and there was a broken down vehicle on it, I know the matrix’ take time to be changed, but that could be really dangerous.

waynedl:

A l c:

That’s because as soon as you go in it, the next matrix says “use hard shoulder for J9 only” or something, and then you’ve got to fight your way back out…

Also, on Friday they had that sign up “use hard shoulder…” and there was a broken down vehicle on it, I know the matrix’ take time to be changed, but that could be really dangerous.

Or just carry on down the exit, over the roundabout, then straight back onto the hard shoulder for M5 only, bypassing all the standing traffic, worked a treat last week! :wink:

andi_cardiff:

waynedl:

A l c:

Or just carry on down the exit, over the roundabout, then straight back onto the hard shoulder for M5 only, bypassing all the standing traffic, worked a treat last week! :wink:

that is blatent cheating

andi_cardiff:

I do that too and agree totally, works going northbound too :wink:

philberg182:
When it’s raining I’d like to see the matrix sign say TURN YOUR [zb] FOG LIGHTS OFF YOU [zb] :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Certainly more sense in that than the usual messages.

So along with:
Don’t hog the middle lane,
Use inside lane except when overtaking,
Only use rear foglamps if visibility is less than 100 metres,

What other signs would generally put some of the ‘I have always done it this way’ drivers right?

That does work southbound at j9 you don’t need to northbound just after j9 use the hard shoulder and plod along past all the standing traffic all the way up to the m54 turn and no I don’t push in or slow anything down just move over when it’s convenient and come off at j11 and best part of the day HOME :smiley:

On the M1 yesterday the warning was “oncoming vehicle 30mph” no one slowed down and there was no sign of any vehicle coming head on !! Too slow to change to be effective, I drive at night at often see “queue ahead” then an hour later I see another vehicle !!

What about when the overhead signs flash up saying ‘‘road closed’’ ?

Do you ignore and carry on towards said closed road or or take a different route to avoid ?