Motorway lane change and flashing in

I havn’t actually got my C or C+E, but am looking to start soon…Just a quick question though…often when a lorry passes me doing 3mph more than myself I give a flash of the lights to allow them back into lane 1 rather then make them hold up lane 2 traffic…do you get fed up with people doing this or is it a help for you? I see some people do it when lorries are passing them quickly and there isn’t really a need.

This sounds like a pointless question but just interests me :smiley:

I always see this as a courtesy thing, we should all know where our rear end is to pull back in. Flashing is like saying ‘Im ready for you’ to come back in.

Hi Lancs123, no offence intended or meant, but I’ve always wanted to know

lancs123:
often when a lorry passes me doing 3mph more than myself I give a flash of the lights to allow them back into lane 1 rather then make them hold up lane 2 traffic

Why do you travel so slowly, when you so obviously realise that by making a truck overtake you it has the potential to hold up the other traffic?
Unless of course your vehicle is incapable of making more speed.

Dratsabasti:

lancs123:
often when a lorry passes me doing 3mph more than myself I give a flash of the lights to allow them back into lane 1 rather then make them hold up lane 2 traffic

Why do you travel so slowly, when you so obviously realise that by making a truck overtake you it has the potential to hold up the other traffic?

Truck may have limiter set low, I had one set to 53 which was about 2 to 3 mph less than most trucks, spend all your time watching the trucks go by :open_mouth:
Phil

Truck may have limiter set low, I had one set to 53 which was about 2 to 3 mph less than most trucks, spend all your time watching the trucks go by

had a transit on hire years ago , was set to 50 mph max :imp:

Freebird:
I always see this as a courtesy thing, we should all know where our rear end is to pull back in. Flashing is like saying ‘Im ready for you’ to come back in.

agreed. its courtesy plus you never know who is new to driving and it does help them judge the distance if someone flashes them in. eventually they will be able to judge for themselves

bigandy:

Truck may have limiter set low, I had one set to 53 which was about 2 to 3 mph less than most trucks, spend all your time watching the trucks go by

had a transit on hire years ago , was set to 50 mph max :imp:

I had a Transit Luton once that simply wouldn’t do more than 45mph. It wasn’t limited, it was just knackered. :frowning:

Dratsabasti:

No offence taken…I find travelling in any other than lane 1 you have to travel at 75 plus or get somebody up my rear, I don’t want points and can’t afford the fines. I prefer to slot in behind a truck and enjoy the drive or the ride on my motorbike. I also prefer to get maximum economy from my car/bikes.

lancs123:
I also prefer to get maximum economy from my car/bikes.

Me too! and thats not helped when I have to pull out to overtake someone in lane 1 who’s traveling at less speed than your average truck.
There ought to be a minimum speed limit on motorways, if a truck has to overtake you, your going too slow!
Welcome to the madhouse BTW :smiley:

hhhmmmm well if your approching at a steady speed and gaining on a vehicle in lane 1 you should be able to move to lane 2 without speeding up and passing the vehicle in lane 1. If you plan it it doesn’t affect fuel economy. The police will stop people travelling too slowly on a motorway…btw i’m not saying do 40mph anyway, i’m putting this to bed because were derailing. Nice to be here anyway :laughing:

lancs123:
I havn’t actually got my C or C+E

:unamused: When you have, and come across this problem day in day out, and pay for the fuel, you’ll understand!

My opinion is the speed limit is a limit not a target.

TBH someone running along at 50 is better than someone running along at 56.
It’s pretty easy to pass someone at a decent rate when they’re doing 50, better than fighting it out on the limiter at 53/56 as you see trucks doing on a daily basis!

No point having a go at lancs123 he’s well within his rights and doing nothing wrong.

I’d also agree with what he said about forward planning and passing other vehicles, or do you prefer the run up behind someone inches from their bumper before pulling out?

now if he said he sits in lane 2 doing 50 that would be irritating, which many idiots do! :imp:

Hi Dennis and thanks :wink:

lancs123:
I also prefer to get maximum economy from my car/bikes.

likewise. short distances dont bother me too much but the last time i went to Scotland in my car, i travelled at 55 going up and 70 coming back. the fuel difference was substantial. travelling that distance isnt exactly a rush job so i prefer fuel economy over time. i dont half get earache from the other half though. she likes speed but its my car and petrol so tough :smiling_imp:

dennisw1:
My opinion is the speed limit is a limit not a target.

The speed limit of 60mph is too slow already.

dennisw1:
No point having a go at lancs123 he’s well within his rights and doing nothing wrong.

It wasn’t my intention to have a go, but my point is that although he’s not doing anything wrong, he ought to be.

dennisw1:
I’d also agree with what he said about forward planning and passing other vehicles, or do you prefer the run up behind someone inches from their bumper before pulling out?

Forward planning is essential when running heavy, but almost imposible on a busy motorway.

dennisw1:
now if he said he sits in lane 2 doing 50 that would be irritating, which many idiots do! :imp:

Sit in lane 2 at 20mph if you want, just as long as lane 1 is clear and I can blast through on the inside.
I have never bragged about being a great driver, I’m not. Just want to get the job done and get home, if that means going some, then so be it. Sorry if any post today seems a little harsh, not been a great day.

Andyroo:
I had a Transit Luton once that simply wouldn’t do more than 45mph. It wasn’t limited, it was just knackered. :frowning:

I have driven plenty like that :laughing:

I’m glad that the only van I drive now can live up to it’s name. Sprinter by name Sprinter by nature.

scanny77:

Freebird:

agreed. its courtesy plus you never know who is new to driving and it does help them judge the distance if someone flashes them in. eventually they will be able to judge for themselves

Yes. This helped no end on my first day driving trucks.Also courtesy. Its what sets us apart from the rest of the rabble on the road. :smiley: :laughing:

killsville:

Andyroo:

I have driven plenty like that :laughing:

I’m glad that the only van I drive now can live up to it’s name. Sprinter by name Sprinter by nature.

Transits are much over rated vans. Rust starts coming through in less than a year! :open_mouth:
When i drove them for Tesco they were for ever breaking down! Like coolant hoses bursting, fly wheels falling apart, alternators packing up, imobilisers not deactivating…

They do corner well though and the stereos in the current ones are second to none.

lancs123:
I havn’t actually got my C or C+E, but am looking to start soon…Just a quick question though…often when a lorry passes me doing 3mph more than myself I give a flash of the lights to allow them back into lane 1 rather then make them hold up lane 2 traffic…do you get fed up with people doing this or is it a help for you? I see some people do it when lorries are passing them quickly and there isn’t really a need.

This sounds like a pointless question but just interests me :smiley:

Its a pointless question because if you were driving at a sensible speed and aware of your surroundings, you would not be causing congestion.

It takes a truck a mile or more to gain the speed to pass your car so you are not helping anyone by flashing. just drive at the speed of other traffic

FFS! I’m talking bout travelling say between J34/35 M6 at 55mph and having trucks gradually gaining on me then when they pass I’m talkin bout givin a helpful flash! Hardly causing congestion. Anyway I will travel at my own pace and everyone will just have to go round me :smiley: seeya