Motorway cruising speed

Yes but my mrs is gorgeous and I want to actually spend the odd night in bed with her rather than ■■■■■■■ about in MSA with peep hole curtain bottle ■■■■■■■

Tipper Tom:
Yes but my mrs is gorgeous and I want to actually spend the odd night in bed with her rather than [zb] about in MSA with peep hole curtain bottle ■■■■■■■

That’s a fair point Tom and certainly a sound reason to be home, but how much time do you estimate on an average day do you save by running flat out as opposed to say, 85 kph?

The reason I ask you in particular Tom is the nature of the work you do. I’d imagine with a rigid tipper you’ll do a lot of country road and site work (I do stand to be corrected though), as opposed to a guy running from the top of Scotland towards Devon for example. I have heard folk say that they’ll “lose” 50 km a day running at 85kph, well that would be true on a ten hour drive with no traffic or hold ups on a motorway but how often does that happen?

Tipper Tom:
Yes but my mrs is gorgeous and I want to actually spend the odd night in bed with her rather than [zb] about in MSA with peep hole curtain bottle ■■■■■■■

Lucky you :smiley:
But as I posted earlier a couple of clicks off the limiter, has far less effect on your average speed than your power to weight ratio or traffic speeds.

Truth be told I probably wouldn’t lose more than 10 minutes a day if I backed off the limiter but what’s the sense in being 10 minutes behind yourself all day? I can do it twice in that time :slight_smile:

No most of what I do is road planing so it’s main road and motorway. Tips tend to be B roads and lanes but generally we do 3 local then one home. So maybe 10% of my day is on crap roads. Today is the exception that proves the rule. All B and C road with grass in the middle

Tipper Tom:
All B and C road with grass in the middle

That qualifies as a super highway around my way! :smiley:

Funny enough I did say to the bloke I didn’t realise there were any motorways in Holton

Tipper Tom:
Truth be told I probably wouldn’t lose more than 10 minutes a day if I backed off the limiter but what’s the sense in being 10 minutes behind yourself all day? I can do it twice in that time :slight_smile:

No most of what I do is road planing so it’s main road and motorway. Tips tend to be B roads and lanes but generally we do 3 local then one home. So maybe 10% of my day is on crap roads. Today is the exception that proves the rule. All B and C road with grass in the middle

Unless you are on a quiet European motorway for 10 hours I doubt it would even 10 minutes a day.

Is that including all the traffic lights you miss that if you’d of been 2 seconds earlier it would of been green rather than sitting at them for 5 minutes. Or the car/van/lorry that pulls out on you then holds you up for a fortnight? No of course it’s not because those things don’t for with your argument.

I choose to drive at or near the speed limit depending on road conditions and safety. I see nothing wrong in that otherwise I wouldn’t do it. If running off the limiter works for you then great and long May that continue for you. My opinion is as I’ve stated and it’ll not change until I’m proved wrong

Some days all the lights go your way and slow vehicle turn off before you reach them. On another day everything seems to be out to hold you up, normally when you need to get somewhere, that just driving.

I wouldn’t presume to tell you how you should drive. And like you say you drive at or near the speed limit and what you consider safe. this is just a discussion and difference of views :smiley:

I like to keep the revs just on the edge off the green band so stay about 85/86. If I catch up with tescos I’ve got a bit to play with then back down again. I find it less stressful and it’s nice not sitting in the middle lane for the next 3 junctions overtaking. If someone’s overtaking me and there struggling ill knock it down and let them go. I would say half off my miles a day at most are on the motorway so it really doesn’t make much difference to my day really. I don’t see a big problem with people who want to sit on the limiter though, everyone has a different driving style that suites them and some need to be at there destination more urgently than others as long as I’m not causing a problem or getting in anyone’s way I’m quite happy with my stereo on in my own little world.

Before I drove wagons, I used to be foot to the floor. While driving, I used to bounce of the limiter on motorways.
But since I stopped driving, I have found that I still drive at 55-60mph on motorways.
I find it a lot more relaxing, and there is a lot less overtaking. And I like seeing the mpg figure on the display go over 40.

85 km/h versus 90 km/h is easy to work out…

Assumption - We’ll ignore congestion and sliproad/roundabout/parking up time as that will take a roughly similar time for either vehicle, and we’ll make it a realistic 9 hours.

9 hours @ 85 km/h = 765 km
9 hours @ 90 km/h = 810 km

Now let’s say 810 km at 85 km/h = 9 hrs 32 minutes

So that 5 km/h equates to roughly half an hour lost/gained when driving in the region of 8-10 hours.

Suddenly it makes sense to run on the limiter all day when you find yourself at 9 hrs 50 mins and you’re 15 miles from base!

Clunk:
Before I drove wagons, I used to be foot to the floor. While driving, I used to bounce of the limiter on motorways.
But since I stopped driving, I have found that I still drive at 55-60mph on motorways.
I find it a lot more relaxing, and there is a lot less overtaking. And I like seeing the mpg figure on the display go over 40.

Great, another car driver feathering the throttle under the toes of trucks on the motorway changing the dynamics of the line of trucks behind him for no reason.
Just do 65 and do us all a favour please.

Javiatrix:

Assumption - We’ll ignore congestion and sliproad/roundabout/parking up time as that will take a roughly similar time for either vehicle, and we’ll make it a realistic 9 hours.

Nine hours per day on the limiter is nowhere near a ‘realistic’ value to use for such calculations.

Overnight trunking around the country it is my friend :slight_smile:

As opposed to a more unrealistic 10 hours, which would give an even greater spread.

Javiatrix:
Overnight trunking around the country it is my friend :slight_smile:

It is when you’re leaving Scotland at 6am on a Friday morning and gotta get south of Brum before lunch time and round the 25 before 3pm as well.

Olog Hai:

Javiatrix:

Nine hours per day on the limiter is nowhere near a ‘realistic’ value to use for such calculations.

No it’s not. Mainly because you have to come off the limiter to find room to pass all the 52 mph driving nuggets who can go faster

On the motorway I go flat out at my maximum of 54mph, I’m running a tired old 420 Scania at maximum weight, so I need all the speed to run up hills. If I’m gaining on someone by half a click I’ll back off and wait for an opportunity to pass. In the time it takes for me to catch them up I can usually work out how I’m going to overtake without the need for elephant racing, for example if their loaded and I’m empty I’ll wait til there’s a uphill stretch and overtake when they start to slow. If I’m loaded and their empty I’ll wait for a a downhill stretch and let it run abit.

For the people that run a couple of clicks off the limiter, if you see me coming up behind and you don’t want me to overtake, please put your foot down before I’m halfway through overtaking please? I know it’s just a minority that do it but there’s nothing more annoying than when your overtaking a supposedly slower lorry, only for them to put their foot down and leave you hanging :neutral_face:

I’ve just got a new lorry. Its limited to 52mph and to be honest I feel as though I,m getting in everybodies way!..I’ve started writing a big 52 in the dirt on the trailer doors so other drivers don’t think I,m deliberately going so slow. I also back off if someones struggling to get by but that dosent seem to happen so much now.
52 seems terribly slow when you,ve got a 4 hr drive to do, they say its to save fuel but im not sure it makes that much difference really. Its a shame as its spoiled an otherwise nice motor.

Javiatrix:

Now let’s say 810 km at 85 km/h = 9 hrs 32 minutes

So that 5 km/h equates to roughly half an hour lost/gained when driving in the region of 8-10 hours.

Suddenly it makes sense to run on the limiter all day when you find yourself at 9 hrs 50 mins and you’re 15 miles from base!

Don’t you work in my traffic office? :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll tell you what will lose you far more time than a 5kph reduction in speed, and that’s a Mk1 digi tacho. :imp: :imp: . I left the Stockyard this morning and three hours later pulled into Longbenton, but because of all the stop start traffic north of Durham my tacho read 3h 50 m driving! There’s no way to recoup that sort of loss.