Motorway cruising speed

If you don’t run on the limiter, then you will never find yourself in a situation where someone needs to back off in order to let you pass quickly. You can come up behind someone going slightly slower than you and use the little bit you have in reserve to power past them in seconds. Job done and no need for the “amateur” to back off because the “professional” couldn’t. :unamused:

If time is not an issue then run around 50, though my CC is not working so on a run my ankle starts to hurt so foot do on the limiter for a while.
Always ease off if someone else is slowly passing and there isn’t another wagon on my backside.

Contraflow:
If you don’t run on the limiter, then you will never find yourself in a situation where someone needs to back off in order to let you pass quickly. You can come up behind someone going slightly slower than you and use the little bit you have in reserve to power past them in seconds. Job done and no need for the “amateur” to back off because the “professional” couldn’t. :unamused:

Good for you.

Foot to the deck till she blows for me.
I didn’t get where I am today by going slower than im allowed :laughing:

But where I am im not quite sure.

robroy:
Up to about 15 yrs ago nearly ALL truckers would do this when you overtook them, because at that time the “amateurs” were in the minority, where as now unfortunately it appears that there are more of them and less of us …just an observation.

Yes.

Now the ‘elephant race’ as it’s been called is not too much of a problem on a three or more lane motorway for cars as if you are behind them with your right indicator on then sooner rather than later someone will let you go into the third lane.

However those ‘drivers’ who insist on the several-mile overtakes on a dual or two-lane motorway… take their licenses off them right now. It is exactly these people who have brought about the overtaking bans on the A14 etc.

The reason I run on the limiter is that I have no idea what the traffic gods are going to throw at me further down the line, and I like to get past as many ‘potential accident scenes’ as soon as possible.

Plus, how many times have you ended up at 4 hrs 25 mins, struggling to find somewhere to park (sometimes through no fault of your own), or ‘just’ about to miss ‘that important drop’. Running on the limiter may just give me that extra 5 minutes I’d be thankful for at the other end.

The thing is, we’re so called professional drivers, but we have to operate in an ever changing industry and in ever changing driving circumstances, so we should appreciate that some of us need or prefer to run on the limiter and some have time to take it steady. It’s not a urine projecting contest, it’s give a little take a little and help each other out.

In a perfect world etc

edited to say - Olog Hai, agree 100%. I only do the above where there’s 3 or more lanes available. If not, I wait for an incline/decline.

The people who annoy me are the ones you overtake on the flat, then when you get to an uphill section it happens that you slow down more than them. Then, as you get to the top of the hill, they catch you and start to overtake you, just as you speed up. Next thing, they’re flashing their lights indignantly as they pull back in behind, having just about managed to get their front bumper level with the rear trailer axle. Surely they must realise that I’m going faster than them in normal circumstances?

Olog Hai:

robroy:
Up to about 15 yrs ago nearly ALL truckers would do this when you overtook them, because at that time the “amateurs” were in the minority, where as now unfortunately it appears that there are more of them and less of us …just an observation.

Yes.

Now the ‘elephant race’ as it’s been called is not too much of a problem on a three or more lane motorway for cars as if you are behind them with your right indicator on then sooner rather than later someone will let you go into the third lane.

However those ‘drivers’ who insist on the several-mile overtakes on a dual or two-lane motorway… take their licenses off them right now. It is exactly these people who have brought about the overtaking bans on the A14 etc.

Hiya please don’t blame fellow driver,s for the A14 overtaking ban. if you drive in Germany you’ll see no overtaking
for 20 mile stretches. theirs stacks of 2 lane routes in Germany and the cars like to drive at 150 mph plus so need a
clear lane.some minister has seen one of these roads and told his mate and now we’ve got the. thing is theirs not
as much space over here as in France and Germany
John

On the limiter 89km/55 mph most of the time on motorways & dead on 50 for duel carriageways.

I Just try to stick to the speed limits on whatever road I’m on. We’re not on fuel bonus-yet !

If that makes me an Amateur- so be it (I do earn my living as a driver !) but as others have said, if someone’s creeping past me I drop it off for a few seconds to let them pass.

The annoying thing is that when you lift off they STILL chop your nose off by pulling in with only a foot or two to spare :angry:

On the limiter for me.
I back off when being overtaken but I don’t expect the same when I’m the one overtaking.
We are allowed in lane 2 you know, don’t ■■■■ yourself “gotta get back over ASAP!!!” club.

Nothing in front, limiter 89kmh
Vehicle travelling at a similar speed in front I’ll match and if it slows limiter to overtake.
Being overtaken whilst at 89kmh drop down a couple.

Seems reasonable to me and we have no economy table.

Off the limiter by a couple of clicks, less stressful, better fuel economy, and it doesn’t really effect you average speed, power to weight and traffic conditions have far more of an effect on that.

We have 2 limiters…

Aeconomy mode is set at 52.8mph or 85kph, I use this if I leave the yard on time and there is no rush.

A mode is straight Auto and is set at 55.9mph or 90kph, I use this if someone does the old speed up on overtake trick or if I’m in a rush as the load wasn’t loaded till 3hrs after my start time and I’m on my last ‘card’ so need to get home.

i run at 58/59+…never find myself having to back off to let anyone by me but the odd time i’ve near drove up the hole of a few tesco yoke’s…i can head up the m6.overtake lorrys,pull in an hour later and drain the spuds(■■■■) or get a coffee,head back out on the motorway and over take the same lorrys again…at the end of the day i might be only saving min’s but at least i’ve had a ■■■■ or a coffee and sometimes both while the slower fella hasnt…

I try and wring every last Kph I can out of it on the Motorway.
Notwithstanding condemnation from the self righteous, self appointed “professionals”
You’re not happy about it?
Try lobbying your MP to have the speed limits for HGV’s abolished
See how far that gets you

58 all the way if its safe to do so!

Javiatrix:

What do you do when you come up behind someone doing half an inch an hour slower than you then? Eight mile elephant race? Bit amateurish, don’t you think?

I know this wasn’t aimed at me but I’ll respond -

If on a motorway, I’m more than happy to overtake somebody with an ‘eight mile elephant race’ because despite the highway code, most truckers seem to see logic and apply the unwritten rule of backing off a little to let somebody past. If they don’t, I consider THEM to be the amateurs.

Before I get flamed, here’s the reason…

If the overtaking truck remains behind the marginally slower truck, HE has to back off slightly, maybe for HOURS.
Yet, the truck being overtaken has to back off only for SECONDS to let the marginally faster truck past.

What annoys me as well is that for a couple of miles I’ll be making good progress catching up to somebody, then suddenly for some ‘strange’ reason when I reach them and pull out to overtake, my rate of closure drops off rapidly, despite still running on the limiter. Funny that, isn’t it :unamused:

It is probably the slip stream. As long as you are behind him he is punching a big hole in the air for you and as you get closer your speed will creep up, then when you pull out you suddenly have a lot more wind resistance to overcome, hence you lose speed.

I’m standing in this week for a guy who does a regular job between Longbenton and Birmingham. It can be done in 9 hours driving & 13 hrs work, but I had a bad start today taking 6 hours to tip and reload at Longbenton. I’m old enough to know I should just say “bollox, what will be will be” but oh no, instead of setting my cruise at 86 I’m running on the limiter. I must say what a difference! Not for the good either. I’m getting stressed by cars doing 0.5 mph slower than me, and don’t get me started on the number of trucks that I’m almost past when they play their come back up the inside of me game! I’m not racing you Wrings haulage, I don’t care whether you’re in front or behind, I just want you out of my way!

So all in all I say to you guys who run flat out, you have my admiration as I just can’t be done with the stress of having nothing in hand to play with (ooh err missus).

Motorways I’m on the limiter. Everywhere else I’m at the speed limit (except the SCW nonsense then it’s. 45-50)

I can’t understand the elephant racing. Just click a few off FFS

Tipper Tom:
I can’t understand the elephant racing. Just click a few off FFS

Or alternatively keep it a couple of clicks off the limiter then you have control of the situation and aren’t relying on the other driver. :wink: