MOTO Services.

A mate of mine called in at Wetherby services for a shower tonight but turns out they have stopped people using the showers unless they are paying for overnight parking. Not sure if this is in practice for all MOTO services or just Wetherby but thought it was worth mentioning to you lot on here.

Personally I think it’s crap. Just because you aren’t being ripped off for parking who’s to say you aren’t spending money in the services (Burger King, WH Smiths etc) or even filling up with diesel? How long before all service providers adopt this approach?

I always thought shower provision was a condition of being able to operate as an MSA.

it’s illegal. they must supply showers for hgv drivers. they can charge you, but they can’t stipulate that you must pay for overnight parking before you’re allowed to use them.
a quick email to moto will sort this. the manager probably dosn’t know the rules. moto hq will take it seriously, they know they can lose the sight for not obeying the rules.

Own Account Driver:
I always thought shower provision was a condition of being able to operate as an MSA.

It is.

They may put a sign on the shower door that you can only have the key if you pay for overnight parking, but in my experience they will give you the key on request without ever asking for proof of parking.

I think they just do this in an attempt to stop eastern Europeans stealing the shower fittings.

xfmatt:
A mate of mine called in at Wetherby services for a shower tonight but turns out they have stopped people using the showers unless they are paying for overnight parking. Not sure if this is in practice for all MOTO services or just Wetherby but thought it was worth mentioning to you lot on here.

Personally I think it’s crap. Just because you aren’t being ripped off for parking who’s to say you aren’t spending money in the services (Burger King, WH Smiths etc) or even filling up with diesel? How long before all service providers adopt this approach?

When we phoned Wetherby Services, they say that anyone who is not parking can’t use the showers. :angry: A phone call will be made to their head office tomorrow first thing to find out what is going on. Maybe if the trucks boycotted the services, they will give in and let truckers use the showers even if they are not parking. A small charge would be made which would pay for the cleaning. At one time they used to take your truck keys when you used the showers and clean them after each use. Was told this has been put into force because truckers leave the showers in a mess. Not all trucker are vandels and many of them only want a shower.
On behalf of truckers, both male and female.

Good job mate I’m going to email them aswell when I can get on my laptop rather than phone. Problem is their “small charge” will probably be about a fiver!!

Devils advocate here. When I’ve forked out to park it seems unfair that I have to wait for a shower that’s occupied by a passing laybye lover :imp:

billybigrig:
Devils advocate here. When I’ve forked out to park it seems unfair that I have to wait for a shower that’s occupied by a passing laybye lover :imp:

But you’re also getting a £9 meal voucher as part of the deal where as I don’t?

limeyphil:
it’s illegal.
a quick email to moto will sort this. the manager probably dosn’t know the rules. moto hq will take it seriously, they know they can lose the sight for not obeying the rules.

No disrespect here but what planet are you living on when you think organisations such as these give a monkeys about rules, you or anyone else? They are a business, there to capitalise on anything they can, if people aren’t happy about it then I’d start looking elsewhere, I think they’ll soon get the message…!

xfmatt:

billybigrig:

But you’re also getting a £9 meal voucher as part of the deal where as I don’t?

So ■■ I’ve paid them for that. I am therefore a customer and should not be inconvenuenced by someone who is probably not.

If they charged you then fair do’s. You’re in business, as am I and as are they.
We don’t do things for free and I assume neither do you ?

billybigrig:

I can’t help it you like parking your lorry somewhere it strongly smells of wee. :wink:

Own Account Driver:

billybigrig:

I can’t help it you like parking your lorry somewhere it strongly smells of wee. :wink:

High value loads :wink:

Then again we use them when empty too. Might smell of pee but a short walk beats crappin in a bag :laughing:

Touch wood never had nowt robbed neither :laughing:

So should they charge “non paying customers” to use the toilets? They are a motorway SERVICE area, there to provide a service to the public. I would quite happily pay for parking if they didn’t charge ridiculous money. At the end if the day £100 a week is better in my pocket than a motorway service providers.

billybigrig:

Do you not park in laybys?

xfmatt:
So should they charge “non paying customers” to use the toilets? They are a motorway SERVICE area, there to provide a service to the public. I would quite happily pay for parking if they didn’t charge ridiculous money. At the end if the day £100 a week is better in my pocket than a motorway service providers.

Well they do elsewhere. There’s a world of difference between providing toilet facilities and providing showers. :unamused:

I think personally the prices are indeed to high but it works for us and the boss just considers it a business expense. Think of it like this. I come off cruise control coast in park up and the reverse in the morning. No diverting off route looking for somewhere to park so better for the diesel bill too. :wink:

Saaamon:

billybigrig:

I don’t. Can count on one hand the number of times I have in 30 years :open_mouth:
Even as an owner driver :smiley: Never asked or expected any of my drivers to either :unamused: Access to some sort of human facilities, safety of driver, load and diesel are more important than another receipt in the tax file :unamused:

billybigrig:

Saaamon:

billybigrig:

I don’t. Can count on one hand the number of times I have in 30 years :open_mouth:
Even as an owner driver :smiley: Never asked or expected any of my drivers to either :unamused: Access to some sort of human facilities, safety of driver, load and diesel are more important than another receipt in the tax file :unamused:

I respect that alot. Shame theres not more proper truck stops, charge you £8.50, give you a ticket for 15, proper food, drink, spoken to like a normal person etc.

Saaamon:

billybigrig:

Saaamon:

billybigrig:

I respect that alot. Shame theres not more proper truck stops, charge you £8.50, give you a ticket for 15, proper food, drink, spoken to like a normal person etc.

I would rather they charged a fiver for parking, a fiver for a decent meal and get quality rather than a fiddled tax receipt, go back to the old ways of having a float or get your night out money before you go and then pick up the extra 25 quid paid out for parking at the weekend

Shame theres not more proper truck stops, charge you £8.50, give you a ticket for 15, proper food, drink, spoken to like a normal person etc.

Amen to that mate. :laughing: I will use a truckstop over a services if there’s one nearby. Use em or lose em :smiley:

Never participated in the receipt fiddling. Goldstar sacked a few drivers when the boss rang the hollies at cannock to negotiate an account. The drivers were paying a fiver and booking £25. I think they call it fraud. What about when the firm claim the vat. They’re trying to lay claim to her majestys money that they aren’t entitled too. I was always taught not to ■■■■ on my own doorstep :wink: