MOT exempt breakdown vehicles?

Hope this in right area.

Any way my son reckons that if he registers his old land rover as a breakdown vehicle he is exempt from MOTs?

Had a quick google but nothing turned up aprt from old posting on ebay forum.
and this on a landy forum here
Hoping some one can settle this for us.
As he is 17 and wants cheap motoring.

Ta

Andy

As is mentioned in the link you use
There is no exemption for any vehicle under 3.5t.

If memory serves you also need to have it plated as recovery and it needs recovery equipment fitted to it, I think that you also need to demonstrate that you are a legit recovery business.
This will obviously end your dream of cheap motoring as you would need to insure it as a recovery truck…Try insuring it on a classic policy instead.

He wants cheap motoring? and he wants to smoke around in an old Landrover? The fuel bill will ■■■■■■■ him alone!

he looked at classic… for a 40 year old LR for a 17 y/old was £3000!!!

also some one said that classic insurance doesn’t count to your NCB?

Koop:
He wants cheap motoring? and he wants to smoke around in an old Landrover? The fuel bill will ■■■■■■■ him alone!

it’s deisel… he did have a chance of V8 :open_mouth:

andy187:

Koop:

it’s deisel… he did have a chance of V8 :open_mouth:

It’ll still ■■■■■■■ him on the fuel, he’ll be lucky to see much more than 20-25mpg. If you want cheap motoring get an old 205 diesel - you can pick them up for 500quid, they don’t rust and you’ll get well over 50mpg. I paid 385quid for one, did about 25k miles in it over 2.5 years and would still have it now were it not for the idiot in the MGF who lost control whilst overtaking me on a bend on a wet road.

Paul

Why avoid a MOT, had an argument with a mate over this he wanted to buy a dodgy MOT for £100, i said just get your car MOT at a decent garage which won’t try and rip you off. MOT are quite easy these days to pass, don’t seem as strict as they used to be in certain areas. Like burst ball joint rubbers can still pass a MOT as long as there is no play in it before was a fail etc…

Find with a lot of MOT fails its stuff you would want to get fixed anyways, for safety and to avoid wrecking the car.

He has his kids in the car, i said you want to know if your car is a wreck rather than find out the hard way when a ball joint or somthing bursts on the motorway at 70mph.

Then it becomes very expensive motoring when your old banger breaks down on the mway and your paying £200 to get it towed off and the police get involved.

He wants to drive an un roadworthy car with his kids in it?

Loves his kids does he? :imp:

FFS no insurance too!!

He ended up getting it MOT’d properly £35 for the MOT, balljointed needed replaced (cost £15 and i changed it for him), and wiper blades £3.

So ended up cheaper doing it legit anyways and peace of mind.

Oh!! Good.

Guess my point is a lot of people are scared of MOT mainly prob due to rust on cars years ago, and try do stupid things to avoid them.

When with most modern cars, a MOT isnt as scary a thing and things they fail on are things you wouldnt want to be driving about with faulty.

If the vehicle is to be used on the road and is more than three years old it will require an MOT.
check out this link and click on the download form for further details.
direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO … 17716Maybe he is getting confused with tax exempt vehicles. any vehicle registered pre 1 jan 1972 is tax exemtp but not MOT exempt

This reminds me of driving up the M5 through Bristol a few years ago. I’ve got the window slightly open and I can hear approaching, this awful ‘screeching’ noise.

Then, passes me, in Lane 3, is the ‘offending’ vehicle. A female driving a Metro with, what was obviously a ‘knackered’ drive shaft.

Ten miles further on, what do I see? Said Metro with ‘front end’ damage, having hit the central barrier, and a much confused female standing nearby. :unamused:

But, being female. “It wasn’t her fault.” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:unamused: :unamused:

Mothertrucker:
Maybe he is getting confused with tax exempt vehicles. any vehicle registered pre 1 jan 1072 is tax exemtp but not MOT exempt

Is that some sort of government con.
I would not have thought that there are many cars over 1000 years old. :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing:

A word of warning. I used to have an old 1957 Thames 10-tonner which was MOT-exempt on the grounds of being “A commercial vehicle over 3.5t (I think, might have been lower, was years ago now) that was built and first used before 1960”. Obviously it was also tax exempt…but still needed insurance. Have you ever tried to convince an insurance company that a vehicle is roadworthy with no MOT to prove it? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also remember that if you do wangle an MOT-exemption and get a tug, they WILL go over the motor with a fine toothcomb, and be far stricter about it than had you just MOT’d the ■■■■ thing in the first place. :wink:

My 1967 Series 2a Landy MOT’d for £120 with chassis rot this year. It spits 2nd gear out constantly, the brake lights only work if you pump the pedal insanely, and there’s a hole in both the front bulkhead and one of the shock casings. Oh, and the indicators are a bit…well, 1960s… :blush: :blush: :blush:

You’d be amazed what will actually go through. Just MOT the thing and be done with - because as has been said already, anything that would fail you don’t want to be driving 'round with anyway. Join the Series 2 Club (I’m assuming that’s what it is, going by the age) for loads of contacts for parts etc. :bulb:

series2club.co.uk/

HTH

thanks every one…

i told him it would be best to just mot it or get small corsa or pug… but he said he doesn’t want a chav car :open_mouth:

Its only a chav car if he puts a pile of school books on the bonnet as an air intake!! and cornflake box’s down each side as skirts and some moody alloys, blacked out windows and a BOOM box in the boot.

In standard trim they are good “cheap” to run cars.

there is a reason for mot exemption for recovery vehicles…basically the brake test can’t be carried out with any certainty for one and the other thing is a genuine recovery vehicle is exempt from most construction and use requirements…there are some stipulations though…the recovery vehicle has to be above 3.5 ton…all the ■■■■■ transit spec lifts are not exempt,even if they have registered them as recovery vehicles…this just confuses the post mistress into not looking for an mot certificate at tax time.if vosa pull you in you’re shafted.
the requirement is for recovery equipment to be fitted that can carry out a suspended tow…that includes any holmes 750 type lift but nowadys the mainstay of the uk fleet is an underlift.this lifts under the axle or springs or chassis depending on the type/job being done.that rules out all tilt and slides even if they have a speclift under the rear because they can carry a load.
there’s a whole miriad of other rules and reg’s of which we could talk about all day.and everyone has a different interpretation of how they should be used.
the ministry will accept an underlift for test but not under the test rules that are used for current testing and when the vehicle has completed it’s test a certificate of roadworthiness will be issued.but as it’s not worth the paper it’s written on,only police contractors generally get them.as a way of showing the fleet is up to spec to the police.

andy187:
Hope this in right area.

Any way my son reckons that if he registers his old land rover as a breakdown vehicle he is exempt from MOTs?

Had a quick google but nothing turned up aprt from old posting on ebay forum.
and this on a landy forum here
Hoping some one can settle this for us.
As he is 17 and wants cheap motoring.

Ta

Andy

I take it you don’t care about his safety?

An MOT test is exactly that… a SAFETY inspection.

Heaven forbid they bring in bi-annual tests as is being talked about.

Land Rovers are meccano sets, not usually difficult to get thru’ the test.

Driveroneuk:
I take it you don’t care about his safety?

An MOT test is exactly that… a SAFETY inspection.

that is why i asked as i do not want him thinking he can fit a pair of towing specs to his 30 + y/old landy and save 30 quid plus any repairs and driving around in an un-road worthy car.

also he reckons he is safer in a landy than a small modern car ?!?

maybe he cant go over 50 mph!