MOT exempt breakdown vehicles?

“maybe he cant go over 50 mph”

Go 50+ in a Series Landrover,
What next, Hand Brake turns :slight_smile:

Like Lucy says, Spares are cheap

Insurance is cheap also ( once you find the right insurer )
As convincing the others that the “Factory fitted door locks” are the main & ONLY security device, Almost Impossable.
( "door locks " were an Optional Extra, until the 1980’s )

The main expenditure (running cost) will be fuel

A light footed driver, might expect:

Petrol (2.25 litre) will return 12-15 MPG
Diesel (2.25 Litre) Slightly better 15-22 MPG

Handling,
Hard to describe , ( OK… in one word !! SCARY !! )

All “Series Landrover’s” (exclude, more modern 90’s & 110’s etc.)
Are basically: Road Going Tractors (and drive that way) :slight_smile:

But we all love them // there a classic :slight_smile:

I had a 2 1/4 diesel series 3 safari station wagon…that was fun it went about 75ish mph flat out.but u ended up with ringing ears doing that it had a overdrive as well…it did about 15-20 mpg when driven lightly and about 10mpg off road in low range…like i said it was fun but not the best thing to do a trek in with girlfriends mates in.

I used to get a steady 25 mpg from a '76 S3 with 7.50 x 16 tyres and overdrive.

As Jay says, yes it would do 75, but you need ear defenders.

Safer than a small car? Yes & no.

I know a 19 yr old lad. Went to the pub one night, had a skinfull. Came home, for some reason he cannot remember, decided to go out in his S2 Land Rover (No seat belts). Tried to drive it up a tree! His head split the wiper motor casing open!

He’s a good looking lad but now has a nasty gash on his face AND no driving license!

But overall, i’d say that if inertia belts are fitted AND worn, then yes, safer.

An old school mate who became a farrier used to have a Light Weight soon after leaving school. HIs mates used to laugh at him & burn him off in their cars.
One night they all came out the pub which was near a river, to find the car park under several feet of water. Whilst they all stood there looking at their drowned cars & wondering what to do, Douggie waded over to his Landy, jumped in, started up & went home.
They never said anything more about what he drove! :laughing:
:laughing:

Mothertrucker wrote:
Maybe he is getting confused with tax exempt vehicles. any vehicle registered pre 1 jan 1072 is tax exemtp but not MOT exempt

Is that some sort of government con.
I would not have thought that there are many cars over 1000 years old.

OK you got me. :laughing: :laughing: I have edited to 1972 as it should have been.

andy187:
he looked at classic… for a 40 year old LR for a 17 y/old was £3000!!!

also some one said that classic insurance doesn’t count to your NCB?

You’re right about the insurance. There are a few companies to try.

Swintons got me my policy back in the 90s when i had a 2.25 petrol LR for £500 fully comp. I’ve had good quotes and have used Adrian Flux in the past too, and if he’s in a rural environment get him to try Norwich but personally I’ve heard not good things. But they’re good for additional addons :wink:

And tell him to join a decent LR forum like www.difflock.com :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mothertrucker:
OK you got me. :laughing: :laughing: I have edited to 1972 as it should have been.

Actually it was 1972 but they changed it to 1973 in the '98 budget :smiley:

Its about the same cut off point as black & white number plates isn’t?

Saw a mk 2 RS2000 on a T on b & w plates other days, that ain’t legal.

mrpj:

Mothertrucker:

Not quite. It has to be proven to have been MANUFACTURED before 31/12/1972, which is why some 1973 registered vehicles still qualify.

gnasty gnome:

mrpj:

Mothertrucker:

Not quite. It has to be proven to have been MANUFACTURED before 31/12/1972, which is why some 1973 registered vehicles still qualify.

Yes, I meant registered not manufactured as that was mentioned in the original post :slight_smile:

Most of these supposedly MOT exempt trucks for sale are NOT test exempt. It actually annoys the hell out of me when you see people selling knackered old trucks saying they’re test exempt.
The only truly MOT exempt trucks are spec lift/lift and tow vehicles which have to be 3501kgs or over.
Some examples:
3.5T truck with spec lift: NOT test exempt.
3.5 tonne truck with beavertail or slidebed: NOT test exempt.
3501-7500kgs truck with slide back and spec lift: NOT test exempt.
3501-7500kgs spec lift only truck: these ARE test exempt.

Worth noting if you ran a car to scrap on a test exempt truck and bought the wheels back with you you could (technically) be done by VOSA as you are carrying goods on the truck, which you are not allowed to do with test exempt.
All this has come from VOSA themselves incidentally. Hope this helps, thanks and regards.

3500kg and above rather than 3500-7500kg.
there is no upper limit.
the rest you are right on…most of the e-bay exemptions don’t apply. :smiley: