Most reliable truck

What is the most reliable truck in your opinion because they all have their little faults like the dafs and their water problems so what is the most reliable truck?

■■■■■■■ m11 for me ,and better in a ERF as the wiring is good.

DAF have not had the head gasket problem since 2006 :wink:

shuttlespanker:
DAF have not had the head gasket problem since 2006 :wink:

plenty of problems with the wiring loom though

Grandad had a header tank go on an 09 daf a few weeks back…

To a certain extent it can be good or bad luck someone can run scanias say great never had a problem so a mate buys one on recomendation and it can give no end of trouble.
My firm are volvo through and through they bought six daf lf skip lorrys as they got a great deal in 18 months they havent had one week where all six have done a full weeks work. The daf seems a popular choice for a skip motor so surely they cant all be that bad. Its not major problems but silly little things but there still not earning.

Grandad has an 04 scania had it from new Best truck he’s ever had where as a mate of his had a 10 plate scania and he had engine problems cost him 10 grand so it’s all luck…

MAN 22.463 with the Roadhaus cab.
Purchased new for £51,925 in 1999, sold for £17,500 in 2006.

Viscous fan £400
Gear stick splitter switch £180 (Crushed when tilting cab back over)
Brake pads £280
Bulbs £14
Door Lock £79
That’s all the truck had spent on it apart from tyres and servicing costs. It never broke down or failed to start and covered 1,002,420km in 7 years. Best truck l ever had- bar none ! Worst thing l ever did was sell it, it was immaculate.

Yeah, they were a cracking truck to drive, so smooth. I drove one for the Beeny at the Somerfield group pulling Nestle trailers out of Bardon till the minges at that ambient firm Culina bought cut his throat to get the work putting him out of business then nearly went bankrupt before the Jerry’s saved them.

The manual slap over gear box was a peach. :sunglasses:

if that list is right with the man what do you replace it with ?

A Scania 142 or 143 V8.If you can find one.No computer or call out for a man with a computer.A hammer or Duck tape got mine going again.
Or a Volvo Fh 12.

Are the answers we get from 1st hand experience or what people have heard …I would say owner driver and 1 man 1 truck ,no matter what the make would in general have a better reliability record .Afterall you have the people who believe only 1 brand is perfect,so no matter what they drive it is crap compared to their favoured truck…If a brand sell more than other brands why is that ??Being a mechanic in a dealership I have spoken to lads in different dealers ,and no matter what they all have their issues …But like with cars,people seem to ignore issues with certain brands…I try and not name manufacturers as all trucks are a much for much nowdays

lee mat:
if that list is right with the man what do you replace it with ?

I went to the local MAN dealer & looked at the new TGA XXL, I got in my car, went round the corner and bought a DAF XF 105 530 SSC. During its time with me this truck had a new head (warranted), new fly wheel ring gear, clutch, cab mounts, starter motor & a handful of relays. It was a good truck but not quite up to what I’d been used to, that has now gone and been replaced by an XF 105 510 SSC which so far is doing O.K.
I could never understand the MAN decision to improve on the F2000 range by offering a significantly inferior product, however judging by the amount of MAN trucks around compared to 1999 it looks like they new what they were doing, although I doubt I’ll buy another one. I assume their objective was to sell lots more lower quality vehicles and increase market share & I think the same argument could be levelled at Scania with the replacement for the 3 series, another example of a fantastic truck being replaced by a pretty poor effort.

I had F12 and F16 Volvos and thought they were pretty good, tried to get a new F16 to replace the old one but Volvo told me there was 9 months lead in. The local Merc dealer had a canceled order 17 48 at a good price so I got that. I did a new clutch at 500,000 and as the box was out they did a rear crank seal as well. Other than regular servicing and tires that was it. It was on fridges to Spain and Italy most of its life, good on fuel to, usually 8ish.

Jeff…

Probably the ones that are still at work on fairgrounds 20, 30, 40 years after they were first built.

Derf:
Probably the ones that are still at work on fairgrounds 20, 30, 40 years after they were first built.

“Moscow State Circus” :laughing: passed me 0200 on Mon morning the other night along Westlink Belfast,
fleet of old orange ERF/Fodens still earning their keep :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

I won’t mention the name of the haulier, but they used to have an owner driver who used their yard on a rather large active airport somewhere in Kent :wink: as an operating centre for his ERF E14, which although mechanically sound and more than up to the job, did look a little tired.
One of the bosses pointed at the ERF parked amongst all his left hand drive Scanias & Volvos one evening as I was starting my shift and joked “if you misbehave we give you that to drive”
to which I replied “I wouldn’t mind, I have a bit of a soft spot for ERF’s, anyway, of all the trucks parked up here which one do you think will still be on the road pulling a funfair 20 years from now and which will be scrapped?”
to which he turned and shuffled away…

(the entire fleet of Swedes was replaced 18 months later)

My Volvo F10 tag from 1993 was the best you cuold have,a bit slow on the hills but it never ever let me down.Just change oil and regular service it just wouldent stop.
It took me all over Sweden and Norway :smiley:

Reg Danne from sweden

the best truck is the one driven most carefully and serviced religiously and treat it with care.

If there was one truck manufacturer that made a truck that was always reliable that would be the only make on the road!

They all have their faults and after that its down to which dealer nearest you gives the best back up service , thats really what determines what you buy for business