Morrocco

May have the chance of doing Morocco on a regular basis.
Anyone on here ever done it ?
Usual questions, what route would you take ? Journey times? Pitfalls ? Time to clear customs ?

Cheers

John Mann were the Gods at this years ago,he sold out to a Dutch firm,back in the 90`s i did hear of kids cutting the suzies and air lines when the truck was in motion, and rumours of bricks and stones going in the cab windows and windscreen.
And kids pulling out the red button on the trailer for the paking brake when you are driving.
Once in a TIR compound or at the customers yard or factory, they have guards, so safe there.I thought the local truckers were not happy with the foreigners doing their work, so this was why they had all the agro, but now i am not sure.
Ask Will and Tony Bradfield on Trucknet,as they do it for Davies Turner.

This might help a little…viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87264&hilit=morocco…. Not sure i’d fancy it though.

Ferry from Algerceras (nr gibraltar to Ceuta). About 1hr crossing…about 15yrs ago mind.

Cross channel. Portsmouth to Caen and down past Le Mans and keep going south to Bordeaux cross border nr Sebastion. Keep going , through Madrid And on to Malaga then towards Gib. From memory the old man allowed 27 hrs drivetime plus breaks and another 3 for being messed about.
Its about 1200 miles.
We had a place in Malaga so it was like going home, both me and ex missus drove…and perhaps we pushed it a bit !!!

If you look at RAC international maps /routes they were pretty good in my day.
But we pulled a tanker.

nowadays you would be better off catching the portsmouth Santander service not much more expensive than driving thru france and as a plus there are no gendarmes on the boat to lighten your wallet

mazzer:
nowadays you would be better off catching the portsmouth Santander service not much more expensive than driving thru france and as a plus there are no gendarmes on the boat to lighten your wallet

It used to be a fair bit pricier in the day, but nowadays At least you can get you long rest period in on the Ferry I suppose. On cost now I have No idea
My Old man would never use the Spain ferry, and with us double cabbed it was definitely quicker to drive France. We never had a problem in Morrocco but Lads on General haulage used to get a few prolems I believe.
Have fun and dont get caught speeding !

toby1234abc:
John Mann were the Gods at this years ago,he sold out to a Dutch firm,back in the 90`s i did hear of kids cutting the suzies and air lines when the truck was in motion, and rumours of bricks and stones going in the cab windows and windscreen.
And kids pulling out the red button on the trailer for the paking brake when you are driving.
Once in a TIR compound or at the customers yard or factory, they have guards, so safe there.I thought the local truckers were not happy with the foreigners doing their work, so this was why they had all the agro, but now i am not sure.

Ask Will and Tony Bradfield on Trucknet,as they do it for Davies Turner.

If it wasnt for Will. i would imagine that Tony has never heard of this Trucknet you speak of :laughing:

Last went in 2005, Tangiers was a bloody nightmare, customs was ok took 2 hours to get out but the fun bit was finding your way out to head south for Rabat & the stories were true-told not under any circumstances to stop at traffic lights or junctions or your susies would be cut and as we approached the first set of lights there was a group of lads with breeze blocks piled ready to throw in front of ya if you stopped. We sped up overtaking the stopped cars at the lights & they ran out after us throwing what they could as we passed. We joined the newly built motorway & stopped at the first peage to brew up & immediatley a police car stopped & told us to keep moving “not good to stop” we were told. After Casablanca it totaly changes & is a brilliant place. a lot of the problem is stowaways trying to reach europe shipping back out from Tangiers was a nightmare constantly being pestered in the customs compound by kids trying to make a few quid, open your door & they nick everything they can grab & the customs themselves wanting as many “backhanders” as possible. Took nearly 36 hours to get on the boat back!
Total & utter nightmare job but it was 8 years ago so could have changed for the better!
Would i go again if had the chance? You bet i would it’s what driving is all about :laughing:

jacko22:
Would i go again if had the chance? You bet i would it’s what driving is all about

I don’t think Culina go that far or are you not with them anymore ?

bald bloke:

jacko22:
Would i go again if had the chance? You bet i would it’s what driving is all about

I don’t think Culina go that far or are you not with them anymore ?

Yeah still there been over a year now! The things you do to keep the ol lady happy eh!!
Would jump at the chance in the future though, the further the better,some lads i know do sellers to the middle east, may take a month off next year & do one with em!

The new king is a modern guy and invested millions in new roads and infrustructure and he has a palace on the beach at Agadir i have been to Fez Casablanca Marrakech Agadir and Marrakech.i met a lady on a train and six.months later we met up in Canada and toured Usa.

Spoke to Irish trucker who when to Morrocco about a month or so ago

And he said to me only to watch out for is the driving there are not the best at it and only deal with one person and break your money down into 5 and 10 euros, don’t be seen with 50euro notes to there will take them “there be people at the port looking for money off you”

I did it as my first ever “European” job with Bergan Transport in Manchester running for Davies Turner.

A lot has changed since then and its very different. But in essence the suzzie line deparcle was normal anywhere betweeen Tangiers and Casablanca, Rabat being slightly better, Sale used to be a regular collection. You will, if your agent has any brains about them be guarded in the problem areas and will have security to ■■■■■■ you in and out of the industrial areas.

I have had them attempt to cut my lines, climb on the cab while exporting, throwing stones at the cab and running all over the catwalk while there - but all in all its not half as bad as people make it out to be. Most companies now only go as far as the port and if the venture further its not that much.

A lot of John Mann drivers mad the situation there worse for themselves trust me .

Why is Morocco so bad in comparison to other countries? I never heard of European trucks having stones thrown at them, their airlines cut or whatever else when in Turkey or the Middle East, or not to the same extent at any rate. Corruption is one thing but what is it about Morocco/Moroccans that makes it so dangerous to go there? From all I’ve heard and read about the place it seems like you’re life is in imminent danger from the moment you leave the dock gates.

robinhood_1984:
Why is Morocco so bad in comparison to other countries? I never heard of European trucks having stones thrown at them, their airlines cut or whatever else when in Turkey or the Middle East, or not to the same extent at any rate. Corruption is one thing but what is it about Morocco/Moroccans that makes it so dangerous to go there? From all I’ve heard and read about the place it seems like you’re life is in imminent danger from the moment you leave the dock gates.

Sheer and utter poverty, boredom and a sense of resentment. It was the same in Turkey and in certain areas of Bulgaria too. The customs guy checking your load at port when leaving for example would enter the back of your trailer in a boiler suit. He went in there as thin as an African should be and came out looking like an average American - his overalls stuffed with M+S clothing, the fraud went from the top down.

The young lads would attempt to get into your trailer so they could pilfer everything from it for the black market. They would also attempt to rob your cab too if they could. Like i said before the good old gold blue and white trucks where like a flag to a red bull for the Moroccans. The majority of the John Mann drivers made the situation a hell of a lot worse for themselves by provoking the locals.

robinhood_1984:

I asked the Irish trucker about the airlines and stones and he said where did you hear that and he said above the only things to watch out for.

I when to istanbul last year I never had a problem with customs or cab robbing

Legend_Scania:

robinhood_1984:

I asked the Irish trucker about the airlines and stones and he said where did you hear that and he said above the only things to watch out for.

lol I didn’t hear about it i experienced it first hand :wink:

Spacemonkeypg:

Legend_Scania:

robinhood_1984:

lol I didn’t hear about it i experienced it first hand :wink:

I’ll find out next weekend where I’m off to :slight_smile:

Cheers guys, I am still waiting to hear if we have got the job or not. From what I have heard its tip in Gibralter then reload hanging garments back to UK but thats all I know.

Paul

Spacemonkey… When did you work at Bergans ? Did you know a guy called Alan Dean that worked there, that would be mid 90’s ■■