More Trans UK M/E pics

I have finally got around to re-sizing some pics from my collection,of which some I will share here…

This is Bob Carter,owner of Trans UK,on one of his many trips to the M/E.
Bob was a real hands-on boss,he would often accompany the trucks to see that the job ran smoothly.

Here is one of the firm’s F88’s climbing through Turkey.

Another F88.To the left you can see a truck from Romtrans,the Romanian state transport outfit,often referred to as F-Troop.

Volvo F88 or F89 that has come to grief in a snowdrift.

A German wagon & drag that has had a nasty accident.

F88 climbing through Turkey,without snow!

Early morning in Hungary.

Driver Paul Rowlands relaxing in the sun.

Paul Rowlands standing on his Fiat 619,seeing how far the queue goes.

Paul again,at the old customs shed in Felixstowe,waiting for clearance before another trip.
The old black hangars near Felixstowe Dock Basin used to house seaplanes.

Pulling out of the yard in Felixstowe.

Don’t know who this guy is,probably a subbie,but the reg is local to Suffolk.

This gives an idea of some of the ‘better’ roads along the route.

Through the desert.

The locals were always ready to pose for the camera.

Fiat 619 at the head of the queue.

MAN & Volvo.The MAN had a column change.

I think this pick-up could do with some greedy boards.Or perhaps another axle!

LTG474P.This truck was on the Maggie stand at the 1974 Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court.Bob liked it,so he bought it and had it painted in the company colours.
It was a special spec for the M/E with stone guards,air-con etc.

Afghanistan.

This looks to be a SoMAT truck from Bulgaria,or ‘womble’.

Trucks queued as far as you can see.

Mountain road in Afghanistan.

Driver Mick Prigg taking ‘chai’ with some Afghan locals.

Fiat 170,with ‘mud-chains’.

Ford & Fiat.

Karachi,Pakistan.

Lined up for a photo,one Sunday morning at the Routemaster Motel in Felixstowe.

Another line-up,this time ready for the auction.A sad day.

KW,
Is it just me, but I don’t get any images coming up on screen!

I’d love to see 'em though!!

:confused:

Not just you, me too - can’t, and would like to :cry:

Ok who nicked them :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :question:

They were there when I looked last night

maybe uploadit.org is having problems

I use uploadit.org and it seems to be working at the moment. I’ve had a look at the links in Keith’s post and can see no obvious errors in them, so I think we will just to wait for Keith to try and fix them.

Sorry about that,I deleted them from Uploadit by mistake,but have downloaded them again. :unamused:

Though I have to say,out of the hundred or so people who have viewed them,hardly anyone has left a comment or remark.
When people reply with a kind word it makes it all worthwhile. :sunglasses:
Makes me wonder why I bother! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Great pics Keith and worth the wait.

Coffeeholic:
Great pics Keith and worth the wait.

Thanks for that Neil. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I had a word with Craig111 around September last year asking if Dave Young would be interested in doing a feature on Bob Carter and Trans UK Haulage.
Dave had given the go ahead and Craig was going to meet with Bob in the New Year to interview him. :smiley: :smiley:
That’s the last I heard from Craig,and was hoping to see a feature in T&D,but nothing. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I think it would make good reading,as there is a lot of interest in the old M/E runs,certainly better than what they’re putting out at the moment. :unamused:

I usually flick through the mag in the services to see if it’s worth buying,but have to say,that it’s the same old stuff month after month. :confused:
All you need to get in there these days is some shiny wheels and a flash paint job. :confused:

What happened to all the LDD’s we were promised after the demise of Truck?

Hopefully when Dave gets back to work the article may still happen. There has been a lack of the LDD’s we were promised. :frowning:

Interesting pics KW had a N reg 88 in 76 only 240 though Was the F troops MAN one of those Romainian build :question: We had one at Collinsons column change [cheap as chips] would`nt pull wotsit back

KW . Great old snaps. Did you notice that at that time all int . drivers used to carry smart briefcases & dressed in the latest 60s fashion. I know you what mean about the response on the snaps . I hardly bother to upload anything anymore because firstly its a pain & second I got many hits but few comments. I see the snap of that old Maggie. I bet he regretted buying that. I drove one for SCA doing Italy & the only good thing about it was the night heater. The reason that the V10 engine broke down all the time was because it was a Marine engine. On board a boat it was wonderfull & easy to repair. But in a truck the engine was too long & would twist & buckle when the truck hit rough roads…Couldn`t stand all sudden shocks. Good snaps .They are part of our history .Look after them…

Another brilliant set of pics (as usual :smiley: )Keith.

As regards the response, or lack of, to picture posts, I think people will only respond to the ones that interest them. I like these sort of pics and will generally post a comment ,but the ones of trucks with murals or the American stuff doesn’t interest me. I’ll have a quick look at the post but won’t bother posting a comment.

greek:
Interesting pics KW had a N reg 88 in 76 only 240 though Was the F troops MAN one of those Romainian build :question: We had one at Collinsons column change [cheap as chips] would`nt pull wotsit back

The F88’s with the smaller square grille were 240hp,and the larger full width grille were 290’s.The 240’s were,as I’m told,infinately more reliable than the later 290.

Trans UK had a 240 standing in the yard at Capel St Mary for years,they eventually took the engine out and fitted it into a 290 that had given up.

The Romtrans truck was a ROMAN,a locally built motor made under licence from MAN,though much underpowered.
You used to see hundreds of them all over the place.
In fact there was usually a dozen or so parked up at Felixstowe during the mid to late 80’s on the docks.
A friend of mine,who worked at Tolemans at the time,went down one Christmas day and took a load of them home for dinner.
Dunno what they tasted like :wink:

harry:
I see the snap of that old Maggie. I bet he regretted buying that. I drove one for SCA doing Italy & the only good thing about it was the night heater. The reason that the V10 engine broke down all the time was because it was a Marine engine. On board a boat it was wonderfull & easy to repair. But in a truck the engine was too long & would twist & buckle when the truck hit rough roads

A guy called Fred Grimble took it out on it’s first trip and it kept overheating.
On it’s return it was sent off to be downrated and after that it gave few problems.
Around 1981 it was painted all red and was sold to an arab,but he never arranged to collect it,so it went in the auction the same as the rest.

Bob ran a lot of Maggie’s in the late 70’s,though they were all on UK work,and were 232 V8’s.
He then bought a couple of second hand V10’s for Germany.

kindle530:
Another brilliant set of pics (as usual :smiley: )Keith.

Cheers mate :wink:

KW,
Thanks for posting these pics, they are much appreciated at least by me!

I’ve just managed to view them for the first time after much anticipation, an excellent set of pictures which although I was a spotty youth at the time bring a lot of memories back (not of the Balkans of Middle east I hasten to add, but of Suffolk and travelling near Stowmarket/Ipswich on the old A45 where these machines were a common sight!). I recall fondly that catchy ‘You Call We Haul’ slogan.

I also notice that the trucks and indeed the trailers have names in that gothic script that is now the distinguishing feature of W Carters trucks. Was this the case with all of them, and was there any theme similar to the current ‘Deben…’ naming convention?

The other thing that interests me is that (I cant recall exactly) I believe Carters were operating at the same time as TUK as a distict company, with trucks liveried in white with green and gold stripes, and gold painted wheels - was this the case or is my memory fading?

On a wider (and sadder) note, although I am sure there are still companies plying their trade on such routes as the Balkans and Afghanistan, etc, I would imagine that some of the destinations you went to with TUK are now pretty much off limits for such obviously Brit trucks?

Very good pictures!!! good pic of SOMAT/Betz truck accident, do u have other photos of SOMAT, PEKAES, CSAD and Hungarocamion or Ulsosy Turkish ? I will love to see more pictures of middle east, well done mate Keith"! :smiley:

Cheers Ben

Good Pics :sunglasses: