More Trans UK M/E pics

Its always good to see someone elses pics from that era. Just wished id had the chance to venture that way myself…Afgahnistan, Pakistan, cant see many people trucking that way in the near future.

KW how long did it take to get to Karachi? Must have been a hell of a trip!!

F-Troop and Wombles…havent heard those terms used for ages :laughing:

Excellent pics…does anyone else have any? please dont be put off posting cos of the lack of comments…there are those of us who really appriciate the effort put into the posting so as some of us (who can now only dream about it) can see how things used to be.

Thanks, bullitt.

Great pictures,must be some great memories

brilliant pics keith i really enjoy seeing the pics from the m/e and some great old trucks there.
cheers carl :laughing: :wink:

Good pictures Keith, I’ve always preferred working trucks rather than the tart’s
boudoirs you so often see. Must say though I was a bit surprised at your miffy
comment yesterday, they couldn’t be seen 'till then as far as I know, just now is
the first time I’ve seen them. :confused:
Some comments.
F89 was my favourite motor, certainly of that era, couldn’t believe my luck when
Micky White gave me one having only driven an 88 for a short time some years
before for Dixon’s of Derby.
I well remember those Romans. Also the early MANs with the column change.
What a pig of an arrangement, if you weren’t careful you could trap your fingers
between it and the dash.
I never fancied a Fiat but tell me, the panel behind the door looks quite large,
was that a wide bunk or a small door?
Once again, thanks for the memories, I had a very small part in the Pakistan
overland story and something I remember with a great deal of fondness, as
much for the kindness of the people with very few exceptions, as for anything
else. :laughing:

Thanks very much for the pictures , it is appreciated mate as it shows a era of
transport where a driver was required to be a diplomat, mechanic,introvert thinker. a person also able to cope and act as required when needed,
also it was a time when you where sure that when you had trouble some one
weither it be a english,turkish,hungarion camion driver etc etc would turn up and give a hand, unfortunatly now we do not see this so often due the changes that have happened in modern transport,

Great pictures and diary Keith,those were the days,mate of mine had a Man with column change,what a beast! and they always sounded like the exhaust was blowing.a lot of us really appreciate your pics,thanks and
regards derek.

Great pic`s Keith :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Please keep posting as its great to see the old working stuff. :sunglasses:

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

Good Pics :smiley:

chorcheela:
I also notice that the trucks and indeed the trailers have names in that gothic script that is now the distinguishing feature of W Carters trucks. Was this the case with all of them, and was there any theme similar to the current ‘Deben…’ naming convention?

As far as I recall,the trucks were named after Dartmoor ponies,or something to do with horses.Bob’s (ex) wife used to have a lot of horses.

The other thing that interests me is that (I cant recall exactly) I believe Carters were operating at the same time as TUK as a distict company, with trucks liveried in white with green and gold stripes, and gold painted wheels - was this the case or is my memory fading?

Bob Carter is one of the Carter brothers,but he decided to branch out for himself.
W.Carter was in business long before Bob started Trans UK.
Carter’s trucks were indeed painted green with I think a lighter green stripe with gold.

bullitt:
KW how long did it take to get to Karachi? Must have been a hell of a trip!!

No idea.I have never been that far,with Trans UK or anyone else,these pics were some of the gems brought along to a Trans UK reunion a couple of years ago.
I started with Bob early in 1979,in fact he put me through my class one,and it was at this time that he stopped doing the M/E due to the Iranian Revolution and the fall of the Shah of Iran.

Just before the firm went under he called us all together one Sunday to tell us that the only way of saving the company was to start running M/E again.
He was going to send us down in pairs,one experienced driver and one novice (me) but it never happened.
That’s as far as I got to the desert.Apart from Camber Sands :wink:

The nearest I got was Bulgaria.

KW,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, very interesting.

Out of interest, what did Bob do after TUK ceased? I think there are 3 brothers still in CEL Group, Colin, Edward and Richard?

Coffeeholic:
As regards the response, or lack of, to picture posts, I think people will only respond to the ones that interest them. I like these sort of pics and will generally post a comment ,but the ones of trucks with murals or the American stuff doesn’t interest me. I’ll have a quick look at the post but won’t bother posting a comment.

Entirely agree with the statement Neil, truly excellent pics, you just cant beat the old stuff!!

Keep em comin…

chorcheela:
KW,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, very interesting.

Out of interest, what did Bob do after TUK ceased? I think there are 3 brothers still in CEL Group, Colin, Edward and Richard?

As far as I know,he was still sending the odd truck down to the M/E during the early 80’s.
He then went to do odd bits & pieces for Carter’s at Melton,in the tyreshop/workshop etc.

He had a big heart op during the 90’s,but he’s still active,and has many a tale to tell :wink:

nice pics KW

was Trans UK anything to do with Transport UK who did a lot of box work out of felixstowe ■■? seem to remember a few tilts running round with their name on as well ?

Early morning in Hungary. (yugoslavia this was taken!)

Don’t know who this guy is,probably a subbie,but the reg is local to Suffolk.

this is bernie martin. he was a subbie working under the name clover transport. never actually ran to the middle east as far as i know, think he only went as far as turkey. bernie still works for brinor out of ipswich/felixstowe

He looks as if he’s in for one cold night in that old Scammell!