More advice needed

Ok so some of you might remember my last post about wanting to get off the class 2 hiab full time job i have, and to train for a class 1 to get a better paid job .

Now my situation is this a friend of a friend has said there’s a very good chance if a job for me where he works if I pass my class 1. His boss wants to meet me one Saturday for a chat.

Now my situation is this (its proberly nothing to most) I need a week off work to do the class 1 training but I have no holiday left until August. So what would you nice people think I should say to my current boss when it comes down to it ? Would you just keep hush and pull a sickie for a week or be honest ?

I do worry that if I pay for my class 1 that the new firm might back out after I finished my training and then I might be £1000 or so down and out of a job. Any advice would help thanks

1 week unpaid leave. Don’t go into details with the boss
Or wait till August. Then you have no problem

If you pay for it and they back down you still have your class 1 and, if the pay rates in south wales are anything to go by, will be on slightly better money running class 1, so even if this company your mate works for lets you do it wont be a waste. Maybe ask the boss your going to see if they would be willing to arrange the training for you using the “you might be able to get a better rate” line then they would have a vested interest in your career and less likely to let you down.

I’d go the unpaid leave route and keep your gob shut :laughing:

I was in the same situation to get my current job and went down that route. Pulling a sicky when you’re not ill isn’t worth the risk I didn’t think.

Definitely go for unpaid leave, unless your current company doesn’t do regular licence checks? Might stand out a bit otherwise.

If you want a chance at some class 1 work in the Chelmsford area on a casual basis, drop me a pm, I might have a possible for you when you get it?

Gary

No my company don’t do regular checks. How does the unpaid leave route work ? Isn’t it just like being sick only ya boss knows your not ?
I can’t have no time off due to a previous illness I had when I was off 2 months.
I do think my only option is to wait till August when I get all my years holiday upfront ? Think I should meet with the new boss on a Saturday as his requested through my mate and see if his certain he will take me on.

I am worried I will do my class 1 then tell my current boss I’m leaving and then the new boss backs out. This would leave me jobless and skint. Maybe I worry to much

Thanks for the replies

Be absolutely Honest with the ‘New Boss’ with your situation & ask all the right questions-

How much work have they got or likely to get(a few companies are struggling at the moment, you’ve only got to read these forums to see them going down like 9 pins) nights out/how much £, hourly rate/salary/pension, frequency of pay/weekly or monthly, damage/attendance bonus, own motor, how many hours are you expected to do a week (45 or 85 ? :unamused:) starting times (regular or all over the place), tolerance of speeding/traffic offences/do they expect you to run Bent/speed/overloaded or run over your hours. Also try to check the state of the motors, are they maintained regularly, have they got any new wagons or are they all 15 years old. All clues as to how the company are doing (but no guarantee)

Then- if it all adds up & you are going to be on better money & conditions than where you are now, its up to you to make the decision. If your present employer is fair with you, I wouldn’t burn any bridges & try to take unpaid leave without upsetting anyone. You could always tell a few ‘White Lies’ about a dying relative, miles away & the family need to meet up, then book a course with Peter Smythe & stay in a B&B for a few days. (if you stay in Ipswich, someone will clock you :wink: )

Not sure how old you are, but investing in your own class one licence will open doors for you, as long as you don’t mind some of the Crap that goes with it. If a company pays for it, you will most probably be tied to them for a couple of years (can be a good thing or a bad thing) or you will owe them if you leave.

Have you considered taking your class one training over a couple of weekends then you only need take one day off work for your test ?

Thanks again for the replies. No I have never thought about doing it on a weekend could this be a good option I could take ?

Don’t burn any bridges and risk your present job, you could fail the test and knowing you are under pressure not to fail is as sure a way to fluff it as i can imagine.

The weekend training if you can find it sounds a goer though.

The job sounds promising as the potential gaffer wants to meet, best o luck.

Juddian:
Don’t burn any bridges and risk your present job, you could fail the test and knowing you are under pressure not to fail is as sure a way to fluff it as i can imagine.

This is what I thought too, it’s to much of a risk to risk losing my job I have if they turn around later and say sorry mate we decided not too.

I think when I get my holiday in August would be the best time to do the week course. But does anyone know the current prices on a class 1 and does anybody know any that train on weekends ? Who’s the best around the Ipswich Felixstowe Colchester area ?

keebs26uk:

Juddian:

This is what I thought too, it’s to much of a risk to risk losing my job I have if they turn around later and say sorry mate we decided not too.

I think when I get my holiday in August would be the best time to do the week course. But does anyone know the current prices on a class 1 and does anybody know any that train on weekends ? Who’s the best around the Ipswich Felixstowe Colchester area ?

I did my class 1 with Ian Markwick in Newton near Nottingham, including the assessment fee of £40 it was £1330 this was in an artic I could have done it for about £1100 in a wagon and drag but I wanted relevant training as where I live there is no wagon and drag.

HTH

keebs26uk:
Thanks again for the replies. No I have never thought about doing it on a weekend could this be a good option I could take ?

I did my CE training on a weekend and the test the following Tuesday, which I passed, I had no CE job to go to at the time but got a full time perm job with a largish operator 6 weeks later.

Just bite the bullet and do a weekend course, problem solved!

Ask yourself if you can afford to throw away x number of £££ on it, if the answer is yes then go ahead, you’ll be able to deal with it better afterwards should it not work out…

Pimpdaddy:
Ask yourself if you can afford to throw away x number of £££ on it, if the answer is yes then go ahead, you’ll be able to deal with it better afterwards should it not work out…

I don’t agree that he would be losing money or chucking it away. I was offered a job on class 2 mixers took the job, job didn’t start for a few weeks, so I signed on agency worked class 2 for Turners/Browns passed class 1 on the 12th of June and put in an apliication form on Thursday last week and I start full time today. My wife asked me jot to “waste” £1330 on my class 1 but like I told her it will never be a waste as I have it for life now. Your investing in yourself and what you will gain is worth far more than the 0.02% that any bank will give you for saving it.

IMO

Find a company that will put you it for free,I guess not easy but possible,lad on our wash is being put through it by company at no cost to him,just has to stop for 2 yrs or I guess pay x amount back

Well this company a friend of a friend works for said they would meet me one Saturday as they are looking for young drivers. Would it be worth trying to get them to pay ? Or will that blow my chances ? How should I word it ? Not too good on this asking for favours malarkey :laughing: if not could someone pm me if they know of likely firms that would do this for class 1 in Felixstowe to Colchester and bury areas ? Any help Much appreciated

Went to meet the director of the firm today he didn’t say a guaranteed yes that he would take me on, as he said he had to speak to the chairman first.
His words were we want young drivers to come in but I would have to speak to the chairman to see if we are in a position too give you a chance. I have already checked the insurance which is fine.

Gave me application form, now I’m worried that my boss will give a bad reference due to him knowing I want to leave can he do this ?

I feel a little disappointed about today but I don’t know if I’m just looking on the negative side like I always do

keebs26uk:
Went to meet the director of the firm today he didn’t say a guaranteed yes that he would take me on, as he said he had to speak to the chairman first.
His words were we want young drivers to come in but I would have to speak to the chairman to see if we are in a position too give you a chance. I have already checked the insurance which is fine.

Gave me application form, now I’m worried that my boss will give a bad reference due to him knowing I want to leave can he do this ?

I feel a little disappointed about today but I don’t know if I’m just looking on the negative side like I always do

I am sure that he can’t give you a bad reference(might be proved wrong though) the only thing he can do is not give you one at all. or if he does not really say anything in it except the usual “yes Mr X worked for us from A to B ect”
to be honest I have never had a lot of faith in references, I personally think its what you think on meeting the person face to face that counts more :wink: :wink: :wink:

I wouldn’t worry to much about the reference, if you were a usless twerp he’d have got rid of you long ago and you would already be out of a job not looking to improve yourself the correct way, and a potential employer shoudn’t be contacting youur present employer anyway until they have offered you a job and you have already put your notice in.

What i would be careful of is burning bridges where you are already employed, you have a nod that a job might be yours but it would appear the geezer who spoke to you doesn’t have the choice yes or no, i wouldn’t be spending any money or pinning any hopes until you have a definate offer.

I’d also be sure that full terms and conditions will apply to you at any new job and they won’t suddenly drop it on you that a new contract is in operation for new starters, once you’ve spent lots of money and have possibly upset your present gaffer you may have no choice but to take it on the chin.

Not saying any of this will apply but many of us have been similarly conned in years gone by and learned the hard way, whats said at an interview when someone is selling a job to you is often exaggerated bollox as they are often quoting what the cream boys, their son and/or shop steward gets, its what you get in writing that is important, just keep your wits about you is all i’m saying.