Moral question

Did a shift that was booked late and at an unfamiliar place. Was explained when I arrived that the driver had had a row with the manager the previous evening and been told not to come in next day.

There was an empty can of Stella tucked by the seat. This is day work. Early starts, no nights out so not really any reason for a drink in the cab. Uncomfortable with it sitting there.

Would you mention it to the manager?

On one hand none of my business and I could cost him his job.

On the other hand if he’s regularly driving round ■■■■■■ don’t you have a duty of care for anyone he might injure in a future accident?

I think the row was a drunken phone call so sounds like he might have a bit of a drinking issue.

I didn’t but my Mrs said I should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wouldn’t personally,i would dispose of any sign of alcohol incase i was stopped for checks,go about my day/days in a proffesional manner and leave regular driver to dig his own grave ,nobody likes a grass,just my opinion

No, but the funny thing was, during this day I got 5m out the yard and manager called to say he been told I was driving along with my side box open. I pulled over expecting straps all gone but found it was shut… and I had double checked it was properly closed before leaving.

Later that day I saw another from the same yard. Gave him a wave. 5m later I got a call from the manager saying he’d had a call from another driver saying he’d seen me driving with my crane improperly stowed. It was not! Wandering WTF is this? Everyone calling the manager grassing people up left right and center. Wierd.

Made me think I’ll mention the can ain’t mine either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrotumscratcher:
i wouldn’t personally,i would dispose of any sign of alcohol incase i was stopped for checks,go about my day/days in a proffesional manner and leave regular driver to dig his own grave ,nobody likes a grass,just my opinion

That’s all well and good till the regular driver gets back behind the wheel with more Stella in hand,and kills or injures innocent people,wether the OP is full time or agency take said can into the TM and tell him where you found it the sooner they stop a ■■■■ head driving the better.
It’s not about being a grass and what I put isn’t a dig at you personally mate but if I was the OP and I said nowt then the regular driver hit someone while ■■■■■■ behind the wheel wouldn’t be good knowing I could have stopped it.

Sounds like a crap place to work. ■■■■■■ up twice in one day, deliberately? Those ■■■■■■■ wouldn’t want me driving with them…

I don’t get angry, I get even.

If it was me I would say something, if there is a fella out there driving with a drink problem then better to get him off the roads ASAP, what if it was your wife and kids that got killed by LGV and driver was supping away■■? If you ain’t got kids then what about your mates wife and kids?? If you ain’t got mates then what about just innocent people in general!■■

scrotumscratcher:

+1.keep your nose out of other peoples business…

dieseldog999:

scrotumscratcher:

plus two :grimacing:

dieseldog999:

scrotumscratcher:

I would normally agree but how would you feel if this guy killed a kid on his next shift? If it’s theft or a bit rule bending let the management figure that out but some things are just wrong and drinking on the job is one of them.

Ffs :laughing:
Why do you all jump to the conclusion the guy has a drink problem.
It sounds like an old woman’s gossip forum. :unamused:

Maybe he was given it for helping somebody out, maybe he planned to give it to somebody to say thanks, maybe he found the ■■■■ thing…who ■■■■ knows…who cares.
Next time you see him ■■■■■■ getting into his cab then think about doing something.
Until then keep your ■■■■ beaks out.

Btw…I will pm you all my firms no, so all the self righteous can grass me up.
…I’ve got 3 cans of Stella in my fridge. OBVIOUSLY got a drink problem…Jeez H :unamused:

Still waiting on the PM…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

robroy:

Maybe he was given it for helping somebody out, maybe he planned to give it to somebody to say thanks, maybe he found the [zb] thing…who [zb] knows…who cares.
Next time you see him ■■■■■■ getting into his cab then think about doing something.
Until then keep your [zb] beaks out.

…I’ve got 3 cans of Stella in my fridge. OBVIOUSLY got a drink problem…Jeez H :unamused:

I think people are jumping to the conclusion of drink problem due to the fact that it’s been stated that it is day work and they don’t night out!!
There could be a completely logical explanation for this find but due to what’s been stated I would air on the side of caution!!

Claretmac:

robroy:

Maybe he was given it for helping somebody out, maybe he planned to give it to somebody to say thanks, maybe he found the [zb] thing…who [zb] knows…who cares.
Until then keep your [zb] beaks out.

I think people are jumping to the conclusion of drink problem due to the fact that it’s been stated that it is day work and they don’t night out!!
There could be a completely logical explanation for this find but due to what’s been stated I would air on the side of caution!!

Yeh? Well I would just crack on, not jump to knee jerk conclusions, and not bother my arse about it. :bulb:

TheNewBoy:
Still waiting on the PM…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Preparing it now, also take my dinner knives and copy of Bigjugs monthly in my locker, as by trains of thought on here, I am also obviously a murderer and a potential ■■■■■■.

robroy:

An empty beer can’s hardly the thing you would ‘give’ to someone else as a thank you, or something you would keep if you found it!

If this is a day job with no nights out, then it would look to me as though it had been drunk during a shift. I’d say that was a problem!

busteredwards:

robroy:

An empty beer can’s hardly the thing you would ‘give’ to someone else as a thank you, or something you would keep if you found it!

If this is a day job with no nights out, then it would look to me as though it had been drunk during a shift. I’d say that was a problem!

Maybe he ■■■■■■ in the ■■■■ thing then :unamused:
Tell you what I would hate to be on trial with some of you lot on the jury. :unamused:

A tricky one this, being in possession of alcohol doesn’t make one an alcoholic in the same way as my excessive ■■■■ collection doesn’t make me pervert (alright prolly a bad example).

Company policy will no doubt state no alcohol while at work but on face value it’s just an empty can although some heresay evidence may say otherwise.

If it was me I would have to dispose of it as the other drivers sound like a right bunch of squealers.
I would probably chuck it in a bag and dispose of it discretely. But still don’t feel this is the right thing to do.

■■■■ poor form by whoever left it though.

I currently have 12 bottles of beer in my cab so stones greenhouses etc, but I’m the only one who drives it, never drink whilst on duty and out all week.

robroy:

busteredwards:

robroy:

Maybe he ■■■■■■ in the [zb] thing then :unamused:
Tell you what I would hate to be on trial with some of you lot on the jury. :unamused:

Yes, that’s likely, isn’t it? Meanwhile, whilst you’re clutching at straws & trying to come up with another daft reason why he would have it, on face value it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume it’s been opened & scoffed in the truck.

Circumstantial evidence though, maybe not enough for a conviction. Maybe he’s a dedicated recycler of tin cans. (sorry if that was your next comeback) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe the argument was after ■■■■ hitting the fan and he got stuck on a night out with no gear, decided to have a can to help him sleep.

Who knows.

Not my problem.

Looooo:
No, but the funny thing was, during this day I got 5m out the yard and manager called to say he been told I was driving along with my side box open. I pulled over expecting straps all gone but found it was shut… and I had double checked it was properly closed before leaving.

Later that day I saw another from the same yard. Gave him a wave. 5m later I got a call from the manager saying he’d had a call from another driver saying he’d seen me driving with my crane improperly stowed. It was not! Wandering WTF is this? Everyone calling the manager grassing people up left right and center. Wierd.

Did these other drivers know you were in his truck, or could they have been under the impression it was the usual driver and the malicious reporting was some sort of bullying personal vendetta scenario? may be the can had been placed there.

but to your moral dilemma, I would report someone for DD, I wouldn’t consider it ‘grassing’ as it is ‘my business’, me and my family are all road users and DD could have serious consequences to us, so very much my business. But then I wouldn’t be reporting what you found, there is not the slightest bit of evidence of DD, may be a customer during the day give him a tinnie as a thankyou, and the driver simply enjoyed it after work before he walked home - too many innocent possibilities.