Mobile speed vans.....

Wassup…

Just a quickie, my old man was on the A5 somewhere t’other day in a 30 zone…went round a corner an there was a happy snapper speedo van. He glanced at his trusty sat nag an it said he was doing 32…

Do they have some sort of allowance with the none police vans? I know some copper operated ones will give you a leeway of some sort but not sure if the none copper ones do as I imagine they are trying to get a revenue in?!?!

Thanks chaps
Sy

He’s in the lap of the gods mate just have to wait and see. Those 10% +2mph guidelines are not written in stone. The only safe limits are those that are sign posted.

Thought so…ironic as he has only been driving for a living for a couple of months and he hasn’t been done for speeding since 91…

Better driver than me then!! :grimacing:

Lorry drivinng the number 1 job getting donr for trying to earn an honest living!

Police have 2 weeks from the offence date to send a NIP out to your dad. It will be more then likely it wouldn’t go ahead as it is only 2 over, not worth time and money

mickyblue:
Police have 2 weeks from the offence date to send a NIP out to your dad. It will be more then likely it wouldn’t go ahead as it is only 2 over, not worth time and money

they have to send it within 14 days to the registered keeper, not neccesarily his dad :smiley:

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

Harry Monk:
It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

Good to know, and must be the truth, because when I go through the road works on the M1 for the last 6 months, night after night, I set my CC at 54 and my sat nav snopper tells me that I’m doing 52 to 53 and so far no ticket ever received, and many others go through at 56 all the time.

I do know that those are average speed cameras, and you still see cars hammering the brakes just before the bloody cameras. And when is not the idiot not knowing the difference between average and speed cameras you have those doing 46 or less and stay in the middle lane, all the way, even when the left lane is empty, blocking everybody else.

I got done on the A5 in Llangollen by a camera van 35mph in a 30mph limit.At the time five years ago there was zero tolerance in the North Wales police area.

Harry Monk:

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

Might be lucky then!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Just hang a CD in your windscreen and you’ll be fine at any speed. :wink:

Harry Monk:

I’ll give it a go :smiley:
All clear to send you the fines though if it fails? :laughing:

Harry Monk:

I have neighbour that hangs CD’s in the garden to stop Goshawks taking the Chickens.That doesn’twork either. :wink:

The police have 6 months to send out notice of a ticket as told by a traffic cop i know

Bud143:
The police have 6 months to send out notice of a ticket as told by a traffic cop i know

Nope, your wrong. Police have 2 weeks to send the NIP out from the date of the offence to the owner/driver of the vehicle. I should know, just had training on it today!

It must have changed because it was 6 months

mickyblue:

Bud143:

Nope, your wrong. Police have 2 weeks to send the NIP out from the date of the offence to the owner/driver of the vehicle. I should know, just had training on it today!

Two days from the offence to landing through my letter box.A further two days for another letter offering the speed awareness course,which I took to save the points.

That just means they were quick at sending it out! It must have changed because it was 6 months

mickyblue:

Bud143:
Police have 2 weeks to send the NIP out from the date of the offence to the owner/driver of the vehicle.

As said above it’s 14 days to the registered keeper which may not be the driver. There is no time restriction on subsequent NIP’s but it needs to be processed by the court within 6 months.

Dave the Renegade:

mickyblue:

Bud143:

Two days from the offence to landing through my letter box.A further two days for another letter offering the speed awareness course,which I took to save the points.

That’s quick