MMTM Argos is in serious trouble

Apparently Amazon are booting their arse so less product to shops, less deliveries, less drivers. At argos eurocentral they have asked for people to put themselves up for voluntary redundancy. Its got that bad the last wee while they have been double manning on long trips so the drivers all get a bit of work.

But why pay redundancy when you can sack drivers instead?

So 2 drivers double man upto inverness somewhere. They breakdown on the way back and wont make it back in 15, so the company put them up in a hotel and give them permission for expenses, meal, drinks etc.

Now the drivers wrote on their trips sheets they where still working at 19.15 and finished at 20.00hrs, the argos gaffers phoned the garage to try and confirm times etc but they couldn’t. So when the drivers bring back the receipts one of the receipts is for 2 pints of lager at 19.15hrs. The drivers had pulled a fast one trying to get an extra hour or so on their trip sheet.

They where both sacked for drinking on shift. :open_mouth:

This is just what i heard today dont shoot the messenger :grimacing:

They are thick and deserve it.if they had not claimed the hour the beers would not have been a problem.

The lads didn’t think that one out too well :unamused: Deserved too be sacked :open_mouth:

Never mind the pint, they’re pulling a fast one on the night out too! Double manned regs say you can go for 21 hours don’t they?

I’m not surprised they’re in the doodoo. The other week I picked a pallet up from the Red 5 warehouse in Hull on a Friday and there was an Argos motor parked up. The warehouse gadgey told me for 2 days running the TM at the RDC (Wakefield?) had diverted a motor, one from Nottingham and one from Lincoln, all the way to Hull to collect a load that they’d already been told wouldn’t be ready for collection until the following Monday! Madness!

Sad to hear, I worked in one of their stores many years ago as a Christmas temp & I enjoyed it… :frowning:

I thought they’d picked up recently since the recession what with comet going down. I think they’re on a slow curve either way, I can’t remember the last I bought anything that wasn’t from amazon, well anything of that type.

Isnt Argos transport contracted out??
In the midlands its Wincantonski.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-21057345 17 January 2013

Argos has reported healthy sales growth as it successfully moves to click-and-collect online ordering.

The retailer reported 2.7% like-for-like growth, during its peak autumn period, with consumer electronics, notably tablet computers, selling well.

The firm’s “check and reserve” ordering service grew its share of sales from 28% to 31% over the last four months.

Orders placed online via mobiles and tablets more than doubled, and 42% of Argos’ business is now done online.

Shares in its parent, Home Retail Group, which also owns DIY chain Homebase, jumped 15% on the news.

tango boy:
The lads didn’t think that one out too well :unamused: Deserved too be sacked :open_mouth:

Aint that the truth, they’d been given green light for expences paid meal, night in hotel. some blokes really are thick :unamused:

Maybe a silly question, but what does MMTM stand for? Seen it a few times now…

theantbox:

My Mate Told Me what it stood for, but I’ve gone and forgotten…

axletramp:

theantbox:

My Mate Told Me what it stood for, but I’ve gone and forgotten…

Ha ha. Cheers. See it now. Couldn’t work it out.

theantbox:

MMTM stories usually involve one or more of the following :

1. Closely missing a certain Channel ferry.
  2. Being stuck in 30ft drifts at Shap in winter 62/3.
  3. Calling police to cone off your lorry when you run out of time tipping at RDCs.
  4. SAS.
  5. VOSA handing out fines for curtain buckle tassles not being tucked in/legs not being wound all the way to the top.

YMMV.

I didn’t even know that Argos drivers had actual jobs. :unamused:

merc0447:
Apparently Amazon are booting their arse so less product to shops, less deliveries, less drivers. At argos eurocentral they have asked for people to put themselves up for voluntary redundancy. Its got that bad the last wee while they have been double manning on long trips so the drivers all get a bit of work.

But why pay redundancy when you can sack drivers instead?

So 2 drivers double man upto inverness somewhere. They breakdown on the way back and wont make it back in 15, so the company put them up in a hotel and give them permission for expenses, meal, drinks etc.

Now the drivers wrote on their trips sheets they where still working at 19.15 and finished at 20.00hrs, the argos gaffers phoned the garage to try and confirm times etc but they couldn’t. So when the drivers bring back the receipts one of the receipts is for 2 pints of lager at 19.15hrs. The drivers had pulled a fast one trying to get an extra hour or so on their trip sheet.

They where both sacked for drinking on shift. :open_mouth:

This is just what i heard today dont shoot the messenger :grimacing:

That sounds like a fairly well disguised but rehashed story. The end has the triumphalist tone that all MMTM stories seem to, most true ones aren’t so clear cut.

This post was brought to you by MMTM Forensic Services LLP.

Another day, another bs post on trucknet.
Why?

It’s no secret that Argos have been struggling for years now although the article linked above does suggest they’ve maybe turned a corner of late.

The sad fact of the latter is you can’t have all these new online upstarts like Amazon/eBay/etc and not end up with some of the more established names falling by the wayside. We’ve already seen it with Woolworths, Comet and others, and no doubt there are more to come.

Paul

Rob K:

theantbox:

3. Calling police to cone off your lorry when you run out of time tipping at RDCs.
  4. SAS.
  5. VOSA handing out fines for curtain buckle tassles not being tucked in/legs not being wound all the way to the top.

YMMV.

When I had my class 1 training my instructor even said it £30 a full turn, I questioned it with my trainer at work and he said they do fine you but he had hered it’s £10 I nearly wet myself both times. Surly you dont get find for a turn on the legs

NewLad:

Rob K:

theantbox:

4. SAS.

YMMV.

When I had my class 1 training my instructor even said it £30 a full turn, I questioned it with my trainer at work and he said they do fine you but he had hered it’s £10 I nearly wet myself both times. Surly you dont get find for a turn on the legs

I think you will find they were pulling your ■■■■■■■