Mixed tacho fleet (digi + Anologue) question

Can somebody put some clarity on this, and preferably with an official link to prove please.

We now run a mixed tacho fleet of digi and anologue, word has spread through the drivers (no word from the office) that the digi users need to take a printout EVERY TIME the card is used, just incase we have to use the anologue 1 day/again.
I myself think this is utter BS, as basically both types do the same job allbeit in different ways.

If anyone could clarify this for me then please link up and settle the case,
10 t’internet points go to the bestest clearest answer :grimacing:

B1 GGK:
Can somebody put some clarity on this, and preferably with an official link to prove please.

We now run a mixed tacho fleet of digi and anologue, word has spread through the drivers (no word from the office) that the digi users need to take a printout EVERY TIME the card is used, just incase we have to use the anologue 1 day/again.
I myself think this is utter BS, as basically both types do the same job allbeit in different ways.

dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications … srules.htm
As you have said there is no requirement. it could just be company policy as some drivers cant remember if they have worked x y or z days in a week

If you knew how expensive the paper is i doubt you’d be asking this.

Drivers myth. If the office aren’t demanding a daily printout then don’t do one. The only legal requirement is for you to carry your digi card whilst driving analogue, and keep your last 28 days analogue charts with you whilst driving digi.

As has been mentioned though maybe the company want print outs each day, this is acceptable, but as Saamon says the paper is very expensive, and I’m sure they’ll quietly drop the idea once they realise the cost.

It’s probably bollox though from a bored driver.

Saaamon:

I reckon they’re a big rip off there’s no way shops are paying the same kind of money for till rolls, which are way bigger anyway.

B1 GGK:

There’s no need to take a printout every day in-spite of the fact that you’re running both digital and analogue tachographs.

I would like to post a link to a regulation that says you don’t need to do printouts but as there is no regulation to link to I can’t :frowning:

It’s hard to prove a negative but your drivers will find nothing in any driver regulations that say you should do printouts for anything other than a lost/stolen/malfunctioning driver card, or if you need to write a manual entry to explain why you’ve deviated from the regulations.

However if you look on page 37 of Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs you will see the following:

the maoster:
Drivers myth. If the office aren’t demanding a daily printout then don’t do one. The only legal requirement is for you to carry your digi card whilst driving analogue, and keep your last 28 days analogue charts with you whilst driving digi.

As has been mentioned though maybe the company want print outs each day, this is acceptable, but as Saamon says the paper is very expensive, and I’m sure they’ll quietly drop the idea once they realise the cost.

It’s probably bollox though from a bored driver.

Agree with you, Cheers

tachograph:

B1 GGK:

There’s no need to take a printout every day in-spite of the fact that you’re running both digital and analogue tachographs.

I would like to post a link to a regulation that says you don’t need to do printouts but as there is no regulation to link to I can’t :frowning:

It’s hard to prove a negative but your drivers will find nothing in any driver regulations that say you should do printouts for anything other than a lost/stolen/malfunctioning driver card, or if you need to write a manual entry to explain why you’ve deviated from the regulations.

However if you look on page 37 of Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs you will see the following:

Cheers fella, nice one.

I think that this misapprehension comes from when we first changed over to digital. I remember at the time, being told that we should carry print-outs if we drove an analogue equipped vehicle as a lot of the enforcement vehicles were not yet kitted out with the readers. Whether that was true or not, it was definitely being touted around at the time, so it makes sense that it is still out there!

Whilst on the subject, I did a few shifts for Waitrose in MK and their policy is, after the shift you take a print out, then you download your card in their reader, then after 42 days, you must hand in the print out. Do they realise the cost of this, they use about 30 Agency a day.

Sapper

And what do you do if your on a cab with a digi card one minute and analogue the next in the same day I take the digi card with me but what if I use an paper card in the morning then jump truck do I leave the paper one in or take it with me I’ve only just got a truck with digi tacho but still jump in the other one?thanks sorry if its a stupid Q :slight_smile:

If you are on digi first, then analog,(spelling) the next time you put your card in and it asks if you want to do a manual, I think you would have to put in your finish time (as the finish time on the chart) to keep things right, I stand to be corrected, and I think the reverse would apply if you were on analogue first, ie, when you are next asked if you want to enter a manual, I would imagine you would have to make your start time when you put the chart in. I’m sure someone will be along to confirm this, or shoot me down in flames.

Sapper

Own Account Driver:

Saaamon:

I reckon they’re a big rip off there’s no way shops are paying the same kind of money for till rolls, which are way bigger anyway.

till rolls work, you’ve just got to shorten them a bit.

Thanks Sapper that’s just about what I do but wasn’t sure no boubt I’ve been doing it wrong!

If I started on analogue, then had to use a digicard, I’d put the digicard in about 5mins after I took the analogue out (make manual entry on digi). If say I took a digitach truck to the yard to get mine back, I’d do a printout and then mark new start time on analogue chart. I never had any problems, and I’d guess aslong as there is an unbroken record of your day with no overlaps (digicard and analogue in separate trucks at the same time) then you’ll be alright.

sapper:
If you are on digi first, then analog,(spelling) the next time you put your card in and it asks if you want to do a manual, I think you would have to put in your finish time (as the finish time on the chart) to keep things right, I stand to be corrected, and I think the reverse would apply if you were on analogue first, ie, when you are next asked if you want to enter a manual, I would imagine you would have to make your start time when you put the chart in. I’m sure someone will be along to confirm this, or shoot me down in flames.

Sapper

If I’ve read it right you’re wrong.

sapper:

Sapper

no need. your start and finish time are recorded on your digi card and analogue tacho.

Karl86:
And what do you do if your on a cab with a digi card one minute and analogue the next in the same day I take the digi card with me but what if I use an paper card in the morning then jump truck do I leave the paper one in or take it with me I’ve only just got a truck with digi tacho but still jump in the other one?thanks sorry if its a stupid Q :slight_smile:

I would always take the card out when I go onto an analogue tachograph and take the chart out when I go onto a digital tachograph.

if you leave the card in when you go onto a chart you will have recorded on your card whatever activity you left the digital tachograph on, whatever it is it’s going to be wrong because you’ll be working with and driving another vehicle.

The same applies to the analogue tachograph, whatever you leave the mode switch on will be recorded on the chart and is bound to be wrong because you will be working with and driving another vehicle.

So take them out when you change vehicles :wink:

If you use the digital tachograph first book off when you take the card out or input a manual entry for any missing time while you change vehicles next time you use the card, it’s your choice.

If you book off when you take the card out you will need to do a manual entry on the chart for any missing time when you’re changing vehicles, otherwise input the manual entry for the missing time next time you insert the card.

If you use the analogue tachograph first take the chart out when you go onto a digital tachograph and complete the chart as if it’s the end of the shift.

In either case I would write on the back of the chart that a digital tachograph was also used during that working day.

Basically when I’ve used both digital and analogue tachographs in the same shift I’ve treated them as separate shifts as far as the card/chart are concerned, but made a manual entry on either the card or the chart to explain any missing time while changing vehicles, I have always written on the back of the chart that a digital tachograph was also used.
I’ve never had any problems doing it this way.

Own Account Driver:

Saaamon:

Its a different kind of paper as im sure you know, probably a reason for it but i dont know what it is.

Saaamon:

Own Account Driver:

Saaamon:

Its a different kind of paper as im sure you know, probably a reason for it but i dont know what it is.

I don’t know what the exact difference is but as far as I’m aware digital tachograph printing paper is a higher quality thermal paper than till roll paper, I think it has a coating that has more resistance to damage from sunlight ec’t.

It needs to be good quality because of the need to keep some printouts for a year or more and still be able to read them.

I’m sure there’s a far more technical answer but I’ve no idea what it is :grimacing:

Thanks tachograph ill start doing that no doubt if I get a pull what ever I do is wrong but atleast I’m making effort