Missing nut.

A bit over the top if other 9 were tight :wink:

North West Motorway Police
@NWmwaypolice

One stopped today by the RCVU at Bowden Island, M56.
This HGV had a missing wheel nut.
In fact it was sheared off.
The driver thought it was acceptable and couldn’t understand why they was issued a Graduated Fixed Penalty Ticket and prohibited from continuing their journey.

I’m sure the DVSA would have mentioned it if it wasn’t safe but to me those new bolts look wrong for that wheel.

Anyway the driver will think twice before taking a lorry out like that again.

thats been loose for a long time and any good driver could see that .

He may have started the day with the stud and nut present, it happened to me once

Definite PG9 but he could have gotten a delayed rather than an immediate if it was just the one (see page 19 & 20 in the link), if he’d had any sense he would have said it was there on his initial walkaround check, but it sounds like he didn’t

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … efects.pdf

Difficult in a photo…but…looks like huge oval holes to me?

The rust streaks show that there is bare metal there.

JAKEY:
thats been loose for a long time and any good driver could see that .

Absolutely.
Rust streaks dont appear on a day run. Anything out the ordinary is a sign summat is wrong. Dont ignore it.

Interesting that the DVSA Categorisation of Defects (IM6) says that MORE than 1 missing nut is an immediate and that one is a delayed! But, as above, zooming in shows the holes behind the nuts are all ovalled, so guess the PG9 was for that rather than a single nut missing.

Is it just me…

The wheel doesn’t appear to be fitted correctly. The gap is non-existant between 3 and 6 o’clock but very wide between 8 and 1.
As already noted, this should have been spotted waaay before nuts sheared off. It hasn’t been checked at all for weeks.

The nut should have been missing at the steering wheel. :open_mouth:

yourhavingalarf:
Is it just me…

The wheel doesn’t appear to be fitted correctly. The gap is non-existant between 3 and 6 o’clock but very wide between 8 and 1.
As already noted, this should have been spotted waaay before nuts sheared off. It hasn’t been checked at all for weeks.

It is worn away to *****!!

Are wheel nut markers not compulsory, all our vehicles have to have them on every nut.

Looks silver but caps on some of the wheels. We’ve had some with daft plastic silver covers on.

Nut indicators are not a legal requirement as far as I know. Most of ours don’t have wheel nut indicators on. Lots of companies insist on them though.

At DHL the policy was either all present or none on at all, no missing nut indicators.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Bin Man:
Are wheel nut markers not compulsory, all our vehicles have to have them on every nut.

Top two aren’t aligned…

I am really pleased he was stopped before something terrible could have happened.

Potentially lethal fault.
The stud holes are so elongated that the missing stud and nut has sheared, very recently, probably under braking, when great rotational shearing stress is applied to the studs.
I would expect that when the wheel is removed, the remaining studs will be severely eroded and the hub and wheel will be scrap.
The wheel, if it was not loose at the time the picture was taken, has been loose for some time previously, and had the nuts retightened after the damage was done.
Also, whoever in the NWMP wrote the caption needs to go back to school and revise his tenses.

Old John:
Also, whoever in the NWMP wrote the caption needs to go back to school and revise his tenses.

I think they’re using trendy woke pronouns.

Stephenjp:

Bin Man:

Top two aren’t aligned…

Remove indicators, rotate, and refit aligned.
Easier than getting torque wrench out…

(No, not serious)

ezydriver:

Old John:

There would have been nothing wrong if they had said “They were issued”
however, “They was issued” is never right.

What about the cut in the sidewall in line with the missing nut? Is that small enough to ignore?

stu675:

ezydriver:

Old John:

There would have been nothing wrong if they had said “They were issued”
however, “They was issued” is never right.

I think they’ve substituted he or she with they, which is the woke thing they do now. Because it’s singular, was has been used.

He was issued (singular, male)
She was issued (singular, female)
Dave was issued (singular, male)
Amy was issued (singular, female)
They was issued (singular, gender neutral)

It’s counter intutive and grammatically incorrect in the classic sense, I agree, but some people demand their pronoun is they, as it’s gender neutral. In this context it’s not referring to plural. Using they has never been used to refer to a singular, til recent times. So though I agree with you, it is correct in the context of woke language… which to my mind is completely warped ■■■■■■■■. The police were just trying to be politically correct, which they shouldn’t.

Personally, I think instead of a wokist demanding their personal gender neutral pronoun be they, they should use it. “It was issued” is more apt I think, and sounds grammatically correct.