Mirrorless Mercs.

Silver_Surfer:
I think once they’ve improved the night time vision in them, they’ll be ok. They need to be infra red for night time, I don’t think the Merc ones are but I think the Volvo version will be off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Merc said they have not used night vision because 999 blue lights behind you would not be visible.
Seems like a big sacrifice for all the benefits it would bring.

Franglais:

bald bloke:

Franglais:
Are they gonna be perfect? Of course not, but mirrors aren’t perfect either.

True but mirrors are a lot less technical and with a lot less to go wrong plus sometimes it’s “better the devil you know” !!

Take that attitude to the extreme and we wouldn’t have bothered with the spoked wheel. Sleds are far less technical!

But unlike the wheel versus the sled, it’s unclear what advantage camera vision has over normal mirrors.

As I said months ago, the first deficiency is the lack of depth perception.

I’m also concerned that mirrors perform a function in terms of judging and enforcing separation with passing traffic, by providing a protrusion that is in a consistent place and tends to reflect the outer extent of the vehicle.

Rjan:

Franglais:

bald bloke:

Franglais:

True but mirrors are a lot less technical and with a lot less to go wrong plus sometimes it’s “better the devil you know” !!

Take that attitude to the extreme and we wouldn’t have bothered with the spoked wheel. Sleds are far less technical!

But unlike the wheel versus the sled, it’s unclear what advantage camera vision has over normal mirrors.

As I said months ago, the first deficiency is the lack of depth perception.

I’m also concerned that mirrors perform a function in terms of judging and enforcing separation with passing traffic, by providing a protrusion that is in a consistent place and tends to reflect the outer extent of the vehicle.

One blind spot eliminated each side.
Give it time and I’ll bet they’ll be cheaper too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With a manual gearbox & Camera mirrors could be a great truck - no dents or damage

Auto box & Camera mirrors - next step no driver just an attendant - acceptable level of damage to replaceable parts

Which one will shareholders vote for ■■

Franglais:

bald bloke:

Franglais:

Irrelavent analogy is that.
The spoked wheel was a vastly better option than a sled, when the sled was lacking.

Where as the mirror is a tried and tested method and works perfectly, and unlike the sled, not lacking enough to justify a completely different concept.

The camera unlike the spoked wheel, is change for change sake, and not really ‘‘needed’’ in real terms. :bulb:

It’s justified by some, by stating these cameras eliminate a couple of potential blind spots, and that’s fine,… but if anyone can not manage absolutely perfectly with modern adjustable heated mirrors, perhaps they should not be driving trucks.

Gimmickry for the sake of it, nothing more. :bulb:

Eliminating the numerous genuine bad points and pitfalls of the Actros would have been money better spent.

robroy:

carryfast-yeti:
we’ll be getting our new fleet of craptross’ in January :frowning:
don’t now if they are mirrorless yet,will report back…would sooner keep my faithful CF.

Does ANYBODY actually like them ? :neutral_face:

Well rob I’ll tell you what, for New Year we agree on something. It can happen now and again. I regular drive scania Volvo daf and Mercedes actros. Actros is definitely the worst.

Rowley010:

robroy:

carryfast-yeti:
we’ll be getting our new fleet of craptross’ in January :frowning:
don’t now if they are mirrorless yet,will report back…would sooner keep my faithful CF.

Does ANYBODY actually like them ? :neutral_face:

Well rob I’ll tell you what, for New Year we agree on something.

:laughing:

Just a thought are they just mirror images .Or is the information recorded onto some.kind.of hardrive. Which could be accessed if you was to ever have an accident?

edd1974:
Just a thought are they just mirror images .Or is the information recorded onto some.kind.of hardrive. Which could be accessed if you was to ever have an accident?

God:I hope not, …not MORE ■■■■ camera surveillance to be used against you, surely. :unamused:

(Obviously if it is we’ll be told it’s for ‘‘our benefit’’ :unamused: , and some will be gullible enough to believe it. :unamused: )

robroy:

edd1974:

God:I hope not, …not MORE [zb] camera surveillance to be used against you, surely. :unamused:

(Obviously if it is we’ll be told it’s for ‘‘our benefit’’ :unamused: , and some will be gullible enough to believe it. :unamused: )

There slowly sneaking iin more.n more technology .I
can see a day eventually when trucks will have an aircraft style black box fitted. Which they can use after accidents to view our speed etc

edd1974:

robroy:

edd1974:

God:I hope not, …not MORE [zb] camera surveillance to be used against you, surely. :unamused:

can see a day eventually when trucks will have an aircraft style black box fitted. Which they can use after accidents to view our speed etc

Or worse case scenario, in cab cameras watching you. :open_mouth:
Oh…hang on a minute. :unamused: :smiley:

As a actros driver :frowning: fleet spec 4x2 heap, I am quite looking forward to having a go in one. But as my wife says, I am a very sad boring person :unamused:

edd1974:

robroy:

edd1974:

Truck black-box?
Tachograph records speed and breaks…
Driver altitude steady about 3metres above ground level…
Now, if we could record driver attitude, too? That might help weed out some. :smiley:

I’ve had one now for 3 weeks now and can honestly say I’d still prefer regular mirrors. We’ve got 21 of them and I don’t think any of our drivers really like them. The fact is, the visibility is simply not as good, and thats the end of it, simple as that!
Some of our drivers who wear glasses have had particular problems.

Mark R:
I’ve had one now for 3 weeks now and can honestly say I’d still prefer regular mirrors. We’ve got 21 of them and I don’t think any of our drivers really like them. The fact is, the visibility is simply not as good, and thats the end of it, simple as that!
Some of our drivers who wear glasses have had particular problems.

What a weird decision, understandable getting a couple for long term test (on the agreement the dealer retrofits them with proper mirrors at no cost if they don’t work out), but that’s a decent sized fleet order when no bugger has a clue WTF they’re buying into.

you can bet your bottom dollar that similar to the influx of in cab camera jobs where itl soon be impossible to be employed and not be on camera then mirrorless trucks will soon be the norm as those in control at top level have decided its the way its going to be and thats that.
as usual the older brigade will rebel against them to varying degrees whereas the new influx wont know any better and just accept them as the norm. ( bless them) :unamused:
no doubt itl be something to do with being able to link them to record for when autonomous trucking arrives.
id imagine buying 20 trucks less mirrors ,then the discount would compensate for buying 20 pairs of mirrors to retrofit anyway.

Mm, looking at a screen all-day, isn’t there a elf’s n hats about that, then how do colour blind people manage, and those who struggle with perception on a computer game., And what’s the refresh rate of the screen, could affect people with no previous know of epilepsy.
But highly paid boffins worked all that out.

biggriffin:
Mm, looking at a screen all-day, isn’t there a elf’s n hats about that, then how do colour blind people manage, and those who struggle with perception on a computer game., And what’s the refresh rate of the screen, could affect people with no previous know of epilepsy.

Apart from the obvious fact there’s no blind spot now there’s no mirrors I cannot work out what else is beneficial to having this gadget.

biggriffin:

epilepsysociety.org.uk/phot … g8f3kf7TIU
“Modern computer or TV screens do not flicker, or have a very high flicker frequency. Flatscreen monitors, such as laptops, have a liquid crystal display ( LCD) that does not flicker, so are even less likely to trigger seizures.”

Franglais:

biggriffin:

epilepsysociety.org.uk/phot … g8f3kf7TIU
“Modern computer or TV screens do not flicker, or have a very high flicker frequency. Flatscreen monitors, such as laptops, have a liquid crystal display ( LCD) that does not flicker, so are even less likely to trigger seizures.”

That’s a glimmer of hope then.