Mirrorless Mercs.

I’ve seen a few more about in the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone on here drives one and would give us your opinion on them ? Only seen them on Mercs at the moment but I’m sure others will eventually follow.

I’ve seen a few about. When you look closer there’s a huge iPad display stuck on the pillar inside the door .
Now I’m sure this could cause a blindspot on the passenger side as it looks huge.
And arnt we supposed be aware of cyclist on our blind side.
Be interesting to see what people think who have driven one

I’ve told my lot I’ll just keep my 66 plate. :neutral_face:
Can’t see any point moving all my vast amount of crap and kit out of one heap of ■■■■, to a virtually identical heap of ■■■■, …but one with more unnecessary electronic crap to endure. :unamused:

Give me a Daf, Scania, Volvo, Man, Renault or Iveco, in fact any bloody thing except another Craptros. :smiling_imp:

we’ll be getting our new fleet of craptross’ in January :frowning:
don’t now if they are mirrorless yet,will report back…would sooner keep my faithful CF.

carryfast-yeti:
we’ll be getting our new fleet of craptross’ in January :frowning:
don’t now if they are mirrorless yet,will report back…would sooner keep my faithful CF.

Does ANYBODY actually like them ? :neutral_face:

robroy:
Can’t see any point moving all my vast amount of crap and kit out of one heap of [zb], to a virtually identical heap of [zb], …but one with more unnecessary electronic crap to endure. :unamused:

Give me a Daf, Scania, Volvo, Man, Renault or Iveco, in fact any bloody thing except another Craptros. :smiling_imp:

Cant believe you include a Renault utter crap

Bigtruck3:

robroy:
Can’t see any point moving all my vast amount of crap and kit out of one heap of [zb], to a virtually identical heap of [zb], …but one with more unnecessary electronic crap to endure. :unamused:

I know I’ve condemned the Actros, but there’s no such thing as a literal ‘‘Utter crap truck’’ today mate (trust me, I’ve driven utter crap trucks in the past. :bulb: )

It’s just that some are better (or worse) than others.

Any Renaults I have driven in the past have ranged from imo…
Good (Berliet cabbed 80s 410)
Quite good (Premium).
Excellent (Magnum)

Bigtruck3:

robroy:

How would you know?

Rob, I’m 100% with you on that list. Just about anything currently out there is beter than the craptros. It’s a loathsome pile of cat sick.

As for the new mirrorless craptree, our lot have a fair few, and what I’ve heard from drivers, it’s mainly a problem at night/in the dark, when the screens can be a distraction. We’ll see how long the tablet style dash lasts, and how much it will cost to replace.

robroy:

Bigtruck3:

robroy:

I know I’ve condemned the Actros, but there’s no such thing as a literal ‘‘Utter crap truck’’ today mate (trust me, I’ve driven utter crap trucks in the past. :bulb: )

It’s just that some are better (or worse) than others.

Any Renaults I have driven in the past have ranged from imo…
Good (Berliet cabbed 80s 410)
Quite good (Premium).
Excellent (Magnum)

I know what you mean have driven them all but even the iveco was far superior to the untalk about electric ■■■■ truck, French
Take what you’re giving 60 minutes to change over to the new world and at the same time you keep up so who’s the winner

the nodding donkey:

Bigtruck3:

robroy:

How would you know?

Rob, I’m 100% with you on that list. Just about anything currently out there is beter than the craptros. It’s a loathsome pile of cat sick.

As for the new mirrorless craptree, our lot have a fair few, and what I’ve heard from drivers, it’s mainly a problem at night/in the dark, when the screens can be a distraction. We’ll see how long the tablet style dash lasts, and how much it will cost to replace.

I’ve been told that when reversing the image kinda throws you somehow, where you think you’re going in a straight line, but you ain’t. :neutral_face:
Won’t know how much truth is in that, until I have the misfortune of driving one.

bald bloke:
I’ve seen a few more about in the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone on here drives one and would give us your opinion on them ? Only seen them on Mercs at the moment but I’m sure others will eventually follow.

We’re looking at getting some mirrorless Volvo next year. Based on the blurb I’ve been reading, the cameras track the back end of the trailer when you reverse, the brightness setting is adjustable for night time driving and there are fixing points for standard mirrors, so you can still drive the thing if the camera or screen fail. Assuming you can get hold of a replacement mirror arm!!

Frankly, I’m not convinced. But I’ll wait and see.

We had one to try the other week and the planner was running out of drivers to bully into driving it

I’d rather drive a Renault than an Iveco anyday, but perhaps that’s just me

Stavros test drive
youtu.be/unyArJ6rwLM

good_friend:
We had one to try the other week and the planner was running out of drivers to bully into driving it

I’d rather drive a Renault than an Iveco anyday, but perhaps that’s just me

I’d love to try one out.
Why not?
Instead of two blind spots each side, one from the ‘A’ post and door frame, one from the mirror, you get the ‘mirror’ superimposed on the post. Seems easy to understand.
How often do we have modern cameras and screens failing? The screens are inside, and the cameras are no more likely to get hit than a mirror.
Are they gonna be perfect? Of course not, but mirrors aren’t perfect either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think there’s more an issue with condensation on the cameras and everything being slightly fuzzy rather than the chance of damage, but I see your point

I had one on demo for 2 weeks and I couldn’t get on with the cameras at all. The screens didn’t cause me a distraction as such, they don’t cause any blindspots and the lack of mirrors did help with visibility and roundabouts and junctions. The problems I had were that the picture on the screen wasn’t good enough, it needs to be HD quality and it isn’t. It’s incredibly difficult to judge distance on the screen, even with the distance lines on the screen. They are hopeless in the dark, in the pitch black you can’t see a thing apart from the marker lights on the trailer. I also struggled with reversing with them, as has been said the picture follows the trailer which is especially useful on blindsides but again judging distances is difficult, you can’t tell if you’re 3 foot from the gate post you’re reversing around or if you’re touching it. From a driving point of view I really liked it, it was a 510 and I found it to pull just as well as my 510 Daf and I found the gearbox to be quick and smooth. It handled better than my XF, but never felt as settled on the road. You felt bumps that i never felt in my XF, but i didn’t find the ride to be back breaking like I’ve read about the Actros on here. The interior was a very nice place to be, it looked like it shared a lot of parts with their cars and the quality was a real step up from my XF, although the gigaspace I had did feel a lot smaller than my superspace XF. The demo I had was very high spec so I can’t comment on what a fleet version would be like. It’s also the first modern shape Actros I’ve ever driven so can’t say whether it’s better than the last one or not. Overall though, if it had proper mirrors I’d have been perfectly happy to drive one long term, but if it had cameras, I’d sooner walk

Franglais:

True but mirrors are a lot less technical and with a lot less to go wrong plus sometimes it’s “better the devil you know” !!

bald bloke:

Franglais:

True but mirrors are a lot less technical and with a lot less to go wrong plus sometimes it’s “better the devil you know” !!

Take that attitude to the extreme and we wouldn’t have bothered with the spoked wheel. Sleds are far less technical!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pilko_ad:
It’s incredibly difficult to judge distance on the screen, even with the distance lines on the screen.

It’s because they’re monoscopic (equivalent to looking at an image through one eye), whereas genuine mirrors are stereoscopic and permit natural depth perception.

They are hopeless in the dark, in the pitch black you can’t see a thing apart from the marker lights on the trailer.

That’s an interesting aspect I hadn’t thought about - reproducing night vision.

Overall though, if it had proper mirrors I’d have been perfectly happy to drive one long term, but if it had cameras, I’d sooner walk

Agreed. I suspect these things will go the way of manual gearboxes, as firms find only a minority (if anyone) are truly content with them.

I think once they’ve improved the night time vision in them, they’ll be ok. They need to be infra red for night time, I don’t think the Merc ones are but I think the Volvo version will be off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk