Minimum wage for lgv £15 per hour

minimum wage for lgv should be £15 per hour, comment if you agree and want to start a national face book campaign.

could not agree more .the amount of responsabilty we have on a daily basis is surley worth more than the shelf stacking rate that is often paid .

But it’s hardly brain surgery responsibility.

kr79:
But it’s hardly brain surgery responsibility.

Yeah but one lapse of concentration and there might be a few surgeons required

Get back into reality guys aint gonna happen just deal with the wages we got

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

I reckon the fair pay is £36.48ph divided by how many points you got on your licence…

“6 points OK” = £6.08ph
Zero points = unadjusted £36.48 ph!

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

If you’ve got more than 6 points, then since you cannot legally earn less than the minimum wage, you won’t get the job in the first place! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

and how many other jobs pay £15.00ph :question: :question: :question: :question:

what makes us so special.

15 quid a hour is quite possibly out of reach, however there is a need for the haulage industry to increase the hourly rate.

Gravelands:
15 quid a hour is quite possibly out of reach, however there is a need for the haulage industry to increase the hourly rate.

how can you say that when all firms pay different rates, even at the same firm you cannot guarantee the same rate as a collegue beside you. :bulb:

what is the industry rate :question: :question: :question: :question:

if you dont like the rate your working for look for a job that pays more.

Gravelands:

Why would they do that, there appears to be a surplus of drivers most of the time.

I started in transport in the 70’s but the rates were as bad back then so I went somewhere else. When I retired from that 6 years ago I was earning £530 for a 39 hour week doing office hours.

If you don’t like something and you can do something about it, then do it.

In a free market economy we are all responsible for the low rates.
We want cheap goods, so the cost of everything will be scrutinised and cost savings made at every opportunity. add to that the dividends that shareholders expect and we, ourselves, create lower wages at every opportunity.

There is no miracle cure for the ills of capitalism and you will always have the rich and the poor, only when the poor feel they have nothing to lose, will the brown stuff hit the fan big time…And I firmly believe that day is not too far away, as there are some out there, who have given up employment as they cannot afford to go to work.

The circle is vicious and we are the engineers of our own demise.

darren1000:
minimum wage for lgv should be £15 per hour, comment if you agree and want to start a national face book campaign.

On what basis have you come up with £15 ph ?

is it just a figure you plucked from the air or is there some reason why we should get a minimum of £15 ph which is far more than any other comparable job pays on average let alone as a minimum.

I think you are living in a dream world to get that rate i agree it should be that but it will never happen as no body ever sticks together i have been driving for 28 years now and the basic has always been bad in my last two jobs i was paid on% but before that i was paid on hours it did not matter how it was dressed up it always worked out about the same i preferred getting paid on % as u did not have to hang about to get the hours in u just got on with the job.Years ago there was some good well paying jobs out there but i could never seem to land one as they were dead mans shoes and mostly own account and these firms now use big logistics companys. Things did get better and wages did start to go up about 9 years ago with the so called driver shortage and down felixstowe u could get decent money and a good truck then the eastern block came over then the wages and the moters started to drop and it has been down hill ever since as always there is a lot of people who say what they would do but as i said before it is all hot air as nobody sticks together i work for myself now so i only worry about myself i will add down on dock work at £15 you would price yourself out of a job they would just bring in more poles

darren1000:

You dont get that?

darren1000:

A lot of companies are paying approx £15 per hour its just that most jobs that are available are through agencys, so for argument sakes we may get £7 - £10 per hour depending on loaction and the agency gets approx £5 - £8 per hour as well so it already adds up to more, I dont think it the Companies its the Agencys that are taking alot of the the money, the last agency I went into had very plush offices and about 15 staff running around, its alot of over heads !!! :smiley:

Lotteea:

darren1000:

A lot of companies are paying approx £15 per hour its just that most jobs that are available are through agencys, so for argument sakes we may get £7 - £10 per hour depending on loaction and the agency gets approx £5 - £8 per hour as well so it already adds up to more, I dont think it the Companies its the Agencys that are taking alot of the the money, the last agency I went into had very plush offices and about 15 staff running around, its alot of over heads !!! :smiley:

AFAIK most agencies are lucky to get £1 per hour over the driver’s wage, let alone £5 -£8. That may have happened in the 90s but not these days.

Santa:

Lotteea:

darren1000:

AFAIK most agencies are lucky to get £1 per hour over the driver’s wage, let alone £5 -£8. That may have happened in the 90s but not these days.

so,How can an Agency run own Units like TRG if they only have £1.- per Hour?
you know the Costs of an Agency,to hire the Facility,run Staff,Power,Water,Phone,Broadband,…
There couldnt be much left for anything else,and running a Fleet of Tractor Units,even if hired and with contract,thats just possible by cutting Driver Wages.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED AT THIS SO THERE MUST BE SOME INTEREST. I BELIEVE THE INDUSTRY COULD AFFORD THIS AS MOST AGENCY’S ARE BEEN PAID THIS NOW, ONLY THERE KEEPING THE MONEY FOR DOING VERY LITTLE AND PASSING AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE TO THE POOR DRIVER, ALSO THE COST OF GOODS ON EACH LORRY IS SEVERAL TENS ON THOUSAND OF POUNDS, GIVING THE DRIVER SAY AN EXTRA THIRTY POUNDS A DAY WOULD PUT THE COST OF THEM GOODS UP BY 0.002% NOTHING REALLY.
THIS IS A LICENSED INDUSTRY, NOT JUST ANYBODY CAN DO IT, ITS A SKILLED JOB WITH RESPONSIBILITY, IF THE INDUSTRY IS ALLOWED TOO IT WILL BE A RACE TO THE BOTTOM AND BECOME A NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE JOB.
IF ALL LGV DRIVERS REFUSED TO WORK FOR LESS THAN £15 THE TRANSPORT COMPANIES WOULD PAY UP. IT WOULD BE A FEW WEEKS OF HARDSHIP AND PAIN FOR A MUCH BETTER FUTURE.

Thanks for your comments, a lot of people have looked at this so there must be some interest. I believe the industry could afford this as most agency’s are been paid this now, only there keeping the money for doing very little and passing as little as possible to the poor driver, also the cost of goods on each lorry is several tens on thousand of pounds, giving the driver say an extra thirty pounds a day would put the cost of them goods up by 0.002% nothing really.
This is a licensed industry, not just anybody can do it, its a skilled job with responsibility, if the industry is allowed too it will be a race to the bottom and become a national minimum wage job.
If all lgv drivers refused to work for less than £15 the transport companies would pay up. It would be a few weeks of hardship and pain for a much better future.

How many hauliers could afford to pay £15 a hour.Lots are struggling to survive.Just be happy you still have a job !!

A national Facebook campaign for better wages? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

darren1000:
This is a licensed industry, not just anybody can do it, its a skilled job with responsibility

Half a dozen days training and you can add the C and then +E to a car licence, hardly a skilled job that not just anybody can do is it?