Minimum Cab Size for Tramping?

Is there one?
Personally i dont think there is… but 3 or 4 “experts” :laughing: :laughing: on our firm are “certain” that we wont be getting scania highline`s because… “its illegal to give you that size cab if your away more than 7 days” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I tried the search on here but gave up after 10 pages!
Official links to answers much appreciated thanks.
Rgds jon

theres always B&Bs
if you get fed up with the cab

what about weeks away in a F88 rather them than me

who in their right mind would want a night out in any Scania
:frowning:

whats wrong with B & B s

Load of rubbish

I have heard this story when it started at the P cab,
then the R cab now Highline,

Wonder when the story gets to Globetrotters and Topliners are too small :smiley:

Besides a Highline is not that small inside, Is it ? :question:

JB:
Is there one?

No, the only requirement is a bunk !!

Tacho Rules

“The daily rest period may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it is fitted with a bunk
and is stationary.”

“Where a driver takes weekly rest periods
away from base, they may be taken in a
vehicle provided that there are suitable
sleeping facilities for each driver and the
vehicle is stationary”

it makes you think when a prisoner in jail has more living space than some driver cabs :unamused:

I remember reading on here about a minimum cab size. If the grey matter serves me correct, I recall coffee mentioning something about it.

As I recall the dimentions come out at about the size of an FL wenyhouse.

I believe it is a minimum size that doesn’t take into account any “furniture”
i.e. drivers seat, bunk, dashboard etc

Thanks Denis. I knew it was there somewhere. I started with a wendy house volvo and i double-manned for a few years in flat-cabbed scania 113s pete so no a highline isnt "small".................. but i think ill keep my xl globetrotter thanks :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Car Transporter drivers (low cab roofline) tramp. they have less cabspace than most ! When you see all brand new car transporters with full size cabs we know the law has been changed. It has not happened yet as the previous poster said.

Semtex:
I remember reading on here about a minimum cab size. If the grey matter serves me correct, I recall coffee mentioning something about it.

Not me, unless it was to point out that it is just another urban myth, or wishful thinking on the part of drivers. I believe it was Lucy who mentioned something along the lines that if you applied the minimum space defined for an office work station it came out about the size you mention.

This is always a feature of the drivers top 10 urban myth list and is a close cousin of the “You must sleep with your head X inches/cms/feet/metres from the steering wheel” and “It is illegal to sleep with your head at the steering wheel end of the bunk” myths.

I shouldn’t have mentioned them as they would likely have popped up in this thread. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

peirre:
it makes you think when a prisoner in jail has more living space than some driver cabs :unamused:

Yeah, but no one is forcing you to sleep in a cab whereas prisoners don’t get much option as to there accomodation. :wink: :smiley:

There are none.

Take a look on the toprun site and you’ll see day cabs and basic sleeper cabs doing M/E back in the day and it ain’t changed since (any law that is)

In my opinion if a boss won’t give you a decent sized truck to spend a week away in, then he’s not worth working for.

BUT (and i’m sure some of the other older drivers will tell you) I used to do Euro work in a 112 Scania sleeper cab and had loads of room, (it was a double bunk one though), I’ve now got a Globby with tons of storage and a flat floor and spend all week away, NOW! this is the type of truck you need :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Semtex:

Not me, unless it was to point out that it is just another urban myth, or wishful thinking on the part of drivers. I believe it was Lucy who mentioned something along the lines that if you applied the minimum space defined for an office work station it came out about the size you mention.

This is always a feature of the drivers top 10 urban myth list and is a close cousin of the “You must sleep with your head X inches/cms/feet/metres from the steering wheel” and “It is illegal to sleep with your head at the steering wheel end of the bunk” myths.

I shouldn’t have mentioned them as they would likely have popped up in this thread. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Thats it, the urban myths. You mentioned you had worked out the size and it came to a flat roof wendyhouse :slight_smile:

Minimum cab size = urban myth.
Under 3820/85 so long as there is a bunk fitted (no size mentioned) then you can take daily rest in the cab, provided it’s stationary. Interestingly the Regulation didn’t say that you could take weekly rest in the cab. :open_mouth:
The new Regs; 561/2006 say that it is the drivers choice if they wish to take daily or weekly reduced rest, away from base, in a cab. By implication that means any rest period at base, or a regular weekly rest period (wherever taken) cannot be taken in a cab. Best we carry hotel receipts in France to prove to the Gendarmes that we didnt sleep in the cab for a regular weekly rest away from base.
Expect a lot of employers to be rapidly renegotiating contracts of employment before April 11th.

Semtex:
Thats it, the urban myths. You mentioned you had worked out the size and it came to a flat roof wendyhouse :slight_smile:

Not me, I think it was Lucy who did the math.

You have the makings of an excellent book here Coffee.

Urban myths from the black stuff

It would be a great read while couped up in an undersized truck or sitting on the throne at the Wally stop :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:[/b]

geebee45:
Under 3820/85 so long as there is a bunk fitted (no size mentioned) then you can take daily rest in the cab, provided it’s stationary. Interestingly the Regulation didn’t say that you could take weekly rest in the cab…

That is a scary prospect, :open_mouth:

Brian Yeardley told me that you couldn’t do more than 3 weeks away in a cab without laundry services. That was the reason that truck stops had washing machines.

I just thought it was a bosses urban myth :smiley:

geebee45:
Under 3820/85 so long as there is a bunk fitted (no size mentioned) then you can take daily rest in the cab, provided it’s stationary. Interestingly the Regulation didn’t say that you could take weekly rest in the cab. :open_mouth:

the second quote in my post above comes from GV262, it seems to be talking about weekly rest in a cab to me :wink: :laughing:

Spent every wk away in F86 for 2yr till I got me F88 Lovely
Parked next to guys in Big Js Atki & B series ERFs with boards across their engines for a bed. (NIGHT HEATERS) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the reason truckstops have laundrey facilities is so they might take some dollar that you may spend in the bagwash in the town