mini ovens,

I was in lymm truckstop yesterday,and they do a small mini 24volt oven,
probably the size to cook a small microwave meal,

Has anyone got one of these,or are they just cheap and only last 5 mins,

I dont want to go to the expense of getting a large one properly fitted,as i truck share,and the other guy likes all my stuff out

Ask him if he wants to go half each and leave the ■■■■■■ in!

I’ve never had one, but if such an oven was capable of heating up a meal to a reasonable temperature within a reasonable time then I would say it would have to draw more current than would be advisable to take from a cigarette lighter socket.

A work mate got one of those. He took a lot of ribbing for it, but claims it heats up a pasty fast enough.

If you want to cook a microwave meal, you can’t go wrong with a small gas stove. Just empty the meal in a pan and heat through. You can do steaks and fry ups too and boil water for a brew. Much more versatile than an oven.

Those ovens do actually work very well, BUT don’t get it from a truck stop yet, BP garages sometimes have them in for about half the price, mainly the ones on the services.

i have one and its good.heats a ready meal in less than 30 minutes plus pasties pies etc. mine is connected via the anderson lead and a good heat proof cable (not sure what size but doesnt get hot) best use it when engines running cos of power drain,

I’ve always been disappointed with truck accesories like kettles. They don’t last and are far less versatile than a gas stove. Like has been said, you can do alsorts on a gas ring.

wouldnt a ready meal warmed up on a stove,look a right mess after its been emptied out and forked about

Don’t they look a right mess anyway? The only time they look good is the picture on the box!

tonyb70:
wouldnt a ready meal warmed up on a stove,look a right mess after its been emptied out and forked about

Granted a shepherds pie looks a bit messy, but tastes the same. A curry or chilli looks messy however you cook it. If you are after aesthetics ditch the gas stove and find a Michelin-starred restaurant.

2 words…POT NOODLE!

Harry Monk:
I’ve never had one, but if such an oven was capable of heating up a meal to a reasonable temperature within a reasonable time then I would say it would have to draw more current than would be advisable to take from a cigarette lighter socket.

you really would not want to wire one up through the cigarette lighter socket :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

When I was tramping I had a 24v mini oven. I made a lead up that connected to the Anderson socket. If you have a decent boss they will connect a kettle style socket directly from the battery to the inside of your cab for you.

The oven was brilliant, crispy pies and sllces, oven meals done to a turn, all you have to do is switch the oven on half an hour before you’ve finished driving (with the food you want cooked in it of course) and when you stop dinners ready.

schrodingers cat:
When I was tramping I had a 24v mini oven. I made a lead up that connected to the Anderson socket. If you have a decent boss they will connect a kettle style socket directly from the battery to the inside of your cab for you.

The oven was brilliant, crispy pies and sllces, oven meals done to a turn, all you have to do is switch the oven on half an hour before you’ve finished driving (with the food you want cooked in it of course) and when you stop dinners ready.

Our fitter wired me up a household 3 pin socked in the cab conneceted directly to the fusebox.

I have the bigger one with the curved top. It’s 24 volt 300 watts and I have it on a hella plug. I have had no problem with it and it will heat up a pie or ready meal in 15-20 mins. Got it for £15 ish from BP at Northampton services M1 J15A

skids:
I have the bigger one with the curved top. It’s 24 volt 300 watts and I have it on a hella plug. I have had no problem with it and it will heat up a pie or ready meal in 15-20 mins. Got it for £15 ish from BP at Northampton services M1 J15A

does the plug get hot,i wouldnt want to burn the fuse box out,

skids:

I dont know what the wattage is of the cigarette socket on my volvo,bit i dont think it is that high

Don’t bother! I had one that drew 12 amps through a 15 amp socket and the plugs melted, blew fuses and completely frazzled the socket. Even had an Anderson lead made up at Lymm to connect it direct to the batteries.
I’ve given up with it now so it’s in the shed.

beanie:
Don’t bother! I had one that drew 12 amps through a 15 amp socket and the plugs melted, blew fuses and completely frazzled the socket. Even had an Anderson lead made up at Lymm to connect it direct to the batteries.
I’ve given up with it now so it’s in the shed.

So what happened when you connected it to the Anderson? That will supply enough amps to start a truck so I would assume it cooked a nice pie? :unamused:
Your 15amp socket was either corroded or dirty so that would cause heat across the connection and cause it to melt, but the Anderson is designed to take massive current under nearly any circumstance.

ive got one and yes it does a decent job but a cig socket isnt upto the job. i run mine from the anderson lead without problem