Middlesbrough work? (Thinking of moving)

Hello All,

The Mrs is thinking of us moving up North, and I have to say I’m probably not adverse to the idea.
What I’d like to know is what’s the work like in the Middlesbrough/Stockton area?

If we’re going to move I’d like to make it to somewhere with decent work prospects.

Any/all help would be appreciated.

Alex

I’m up and down the A19 a lot and at risk of all the band wagon haters I’ll say the vehicles i see the most are stobbies, depot at Teesport

Move near us Alex, and then you can enjoy the hobby on a Thursday night. :smiley:

Ken.

Not going to sugar coat this… Middlesbrough is dire work wise at the moment, there are a few good firms to get on, but if you dont know anyone already there to get you an “in” then you have almost no chance… the top paying ( for the area) firms are “dead mans shoes”

There is some companies that will take you on 5 minutes after you walk through the door - 15 hours later with still 3 drops your expected to do you will understand why you got the job so easily, the locals stay clear…

Even the steady away. not best money. or best motors - but legal fleets are not taking on unless your lucky and get a day when a driver or two have left

The ones you may have a chance with that are decent ( but not spectacular) Prestons of Potto, FVS (prestons subsidary), Deveraux, David Fox, Richardsons… Non of them pay the best but are all decent companies

Stobarts also have a contract from Teesport for Tesco if you dont mind going down that route

getting into the people like PDL, Freightliner, Containerships, Bulkhaul, even AV Dawson - is like gold dust up here, If your not known you have very little chance- the decent companies up here have their pick of drivers and reputation still means something- if you dont have a local work history and are not known then the best companies here wont touch you

Sorry be so despondant at up here at the moment it is very much an employers market, a lot of good drivers with known work history are out there looking for a job, someone who hasnt got any sort of local work history is really going to struggle

even the agents in the area arnt filling you with BS…

I thought this had already moved to Arizona at one point. :slight_smile:

PIC_0512.JPG

Scarab:
Hello All,

The Mrs is thinking of us moving up North, and I have to say I’m probably not adverse to the idea.
What I’d like to know is what’s the work like in the Middlesbrough/Stockton area?

If we’re going to move I’d like to make it to somewhere with decent work prospects.

Alex

Cant say whether or not their taking drivers on now ? But about 5 years ago I was working for P & O Ferrymasters (tramping) out of Middlesbrough. Decent pay & conditions then. The North East is suffering workwise tho(more than most parts), so have a good think about it. Hope it works out for you.

I really hate it up north, I’d never move there unless it was top money guaranteed. London, midlands & Northamptonshire are the best places to be positioned for work in my opinion. People’s attitudes up north stinks, what kind of a man are you anyway to be told where to move to by the mrs-grow a pair… :smiley:

Tony4562:

Scarab:
Hello All,

Alex

Cant say whether or not their taking drivers on now ? But about 5 years ago I was working for P & O Ferrymasters (tramping) out of Middlesbrough. Decent pay & conditions then. The North East is suffering workwise tho(more than most parts), so have a good think about it. Hope it works out for you.

P&O Ferrymasters got rid of ALL their own trucks a few years ago … all subbies now … more chance of work Leeds / Bradford / Wakefield / Pontefract / Castlford … only 1hr ‘ish South … could live Middlesboro’ ( if that’s what you wanted :unamused: :laughing: ) … then travel down to W. Yorks … if you wanted to “tramp” :question:

The Rustler:

Tony4562:

Scarab:
Hello All,

Alex

P&O Ferrymasters got rid of ALL their own trucks a few years ago … all subbies now … more chance of work Leeds / Bradford / Wakefield / Pontefract / Castlford … only 1hr ‘ish South … could live Middlesboro’ ( if that’s what you wanted :unamused: :laughing: ) … then travel down to W. Yorks … if you wanted to “tramp” :question:

There’s plenty of drivers out of work in west Yorkshire for firms to set on without importing them from the north east.

Fair point Alex … looking myself, as just been made redundant :unamused:

Why shouldn’t a Northeast driver not try for work in West Yorkshire then Alex? Is it a closed shop or summat? :open_mouth:

could try reed boardall at boroughbridge, they always seem to be looking. decent kit,average wages for the area.
days, night, weekend shifts or tramping ,all silly start times and dont treat drivers well

Without going into detail, Why Boro? As others have pointed out theres probably work further south in West & even South yorks if Boro isnt on the must go to list.
Even within 10+ miles of the stockyard there must be a few dozen firms inc stobbies

Pimpdaddy:

I really hate it up north, I’d never move there unless it was top money guaranteed. London, midlands & Northamptonshire are the best places to be positioned for work in my opinion. People’s attitudes up north stinks, what kind of a man are you anyway to be told where to move to by the mrs-grow a pair… :smiley:

I always said about the south…oh and usually a bunch of idle tossers :wink:

If your wifes plan for the boro,includes her having a decent job herself…ALREADY,…then maybe …if the plan involves moving here,and hoping to get something …forget it …theres nowt here

Rikki-UK:
There is some companies that will take you on 5 minutes after you walk through the door - 15 hours later with still 3 drops your expected to do you will understand why you got the job so easily, the locals stay clear…

can you provide proof of this please as per forum rules, otherwise the thread might get locked

dessy:
Why shouldn’t a Northeast driver not try for work in West Yorkshire then Alex? Is it a closed shop or summat? :open_mouth:

Why would a company want to employ a driver that lives 1 1/2 hrs away when there are plenty on your doorstep to choose from :question:

You have a tramper from Middlesbrough working out of Leeds, you have to find enough work to keep him away all week but if you have a driver from Leeds then the pressure is off as he is local.

I made a similar move from London to selby in October 2010, so far it’s worked out. Stuck on agency though, it’s nigh on impossible to get a full time job on company books, I’ve been lucky and have been on the same agency placement since feb 2011. I only do day work but if your looking for tramping work you might have more luck than I’ve had with a full time job.

Things are quiet at the moment, so make sure you check out the work situation before you up sticks. Oh and the pay rate might be a bit of a shock as well.

Aren’t Bertschi from that neck of the woods? Don’t know anything about them pay and conditions wise but they run a fairly newish fleet and seem to have plenty of trampers.