m1cks:
Confirms what most of us know already.
news.sky.com/story/1322749/middl … ine-threat

yeah you can spot em a mile off
its no problem
just get on inside lane and undertake
and as a safety precaution
as you pull alongside them start flicking right

I don’t know of 1 situation where someone has been fined for it , it winds me right up especially if they are only doing 50ish mph

Worse ones are those who wont change lane when you signal to pull out because you want to overtake. I’m not one for pulling out on cars but sometimes they make me feel like it because they’re so oblivious to their surroundings.

The powers that be can make as many laws as they wish, BUT, until they put the manpower out there to police them, things will not change.

When I drove through holland I noticed police on motorbikes riding up and down telling people to move over with an aggressive point of a finger. It did the trick. I could do that for a living, definately.

Nothing has changed, in fact it has got worse if anything. I went up the M1 a few Saturdays ago near Leicester at about 0500 in the car. Plenty of them sat in the middle at 70mph despite there being hardly any other vehicles in sight.

The other things which seems to be on the increase is the ‘sit in lane two of a dual carriageway despite lane one being clear’ carry-on. Mind boggling how unaware of their surroundings some of them are.

This is why I much prefer driving on the continent.
Lane discipline.
They have it. We don’t.
I quite often undercut people n the motorway in my car. Some then move over into lane 1. Most don’t though.

I think middle lane hogging should be driving without due care and attention. Would make the UK roads run much smoother in my opinion.

I though the five lane sections on m25 were allocated depending on colour.

bazstan009:
I though the five lane sections on m25 were allocated depending on colour.

Of car that is!

Are Merc’s and BMW’s allowed in lane 1? :open_mouth:

MLOC Motorway Information Page

Introduction

Driving on the motorway can be a perrilous and frightening experience and should generally be avoided if you can reach your destination via the country’s much safer network of A and B roads. Occasionally motorway travel is unavoidable. This page provides the information you need to sucessfully negotiate the country’s most dangerous road type

Lane Discipline

Most motorways have 4 lanes, each lane has a designated purpose. Upon entering the motorway you should get into the correct lane immediately.

Picnic/breakdown Lane - This lane can be used if you need to stop for any reason, such as a car breakdown or the grandchildren needing lunch.

Lorry Lane - This lane is reserved for goods vehicles. Cars are only permitted to use it when joining or leaving the motorway and only for the purposes of getting to or from the Car lane

Car Lane - All cars and vans, including cars towing caravans must use this lane at all times

Hard Shoulder - This lane is reserved for emergency vehicles only

Motorways with odd numbers of lanes

Some heavily congested motorways are given an additional lorry lane in order to speed up deliveries to Somerfield. These are inserted between the normal lorry lane and the car lane, so remember to move across one more lane if you find yourself on such a motorway

Some motorways have one less lane than normal. In these circumstances you must occupy the rightmost lane. Since there is no lane for emergency vehicles they must share the car lane and give way to cars

Joining a motorway

All motorways have slip roads to allow motorists to queue without causing congestion on the rest of the road network. The speed limit for slip roads is 30mph and strictly enforced at all times. The following procedure should be used when joining a motorway

Drive to the end of the slip road and stop
Wait for a gap of at least 50 feet between lorries. Be aware that some car drivers illegally use the lorry lane so what appears to be a gap may actually contain a car. By law they should move out of the way once you begin to merge but often they fail to do so
Pull into the gap. The lorry behind will slow down to allow you to enter the motorway
Move into the car lane. Other cars will make room for you once you start moving
Congratulations, you have completed one of the most skilled and challenging manouvres possible on todays roads

Driving on a motorway

Driving on a motorway is relatively simple. So long as you stay in the car lane all other vehicles except Transit vans must give way to you. The speed limit is 60mph but do not worry if you are uncomfortable at this speed as it is a limit not a target. Concentrate on finding the correct exit as follows:

All exit information signs are preceded by three 100 yard warning signs. Keep an eye out for these signs and you will never miss a junction. Note that the signs are often hard to see due to the lorries undertaking you. Under no circumstances should you use the lorry lane in order to get a better view of the signage.

Signs on gantries can safely be ignored. They are for lorries only, this is why they are so high up

Leaving a motorway

Once you have counted down the three 100 yard markers and read the junction information sign, do the following

Consult your map. The junction sign will list a number of towns. Find the junction on your map that is closest to all these towns
If this is the junction you want, move immediately into the lorry lane
Remember the speed limit on slip roads is 30mph, you must slow down to this speed before entering the slip road. Lorry drivers will be expecting this and will make room for you, Move into the slip road and leave the motorway

instantKarma:
When I drove through holland I noticed police on motorbikes riding up and down telling people to move over with an aggressive point of a finger .It did the trick. I could do that for a living, definately.

Don’t you do that anyway :wink: :wink:

Lol not anymore. Did it once then the beef cake followed me for over an hour before I lost him in traffic

trubster:
MLOC Motorway Information Page

Introduction

Driving on the motorway can be a perrilous and frightening experience and should generally be avoided if you can reach your destination via the country’s much safer network of A and B roads. Occasionally motorway travel is unavoidable. This page provides the information you need to sucessfully negotiate the country’s most dangerous road type

Lane Discipline

Most motorways have 4 lanes, each lane has a designated purpose. Upon entering the motorway you should get into the correct lane immediately.

Picnic/breakdown Lane - This lane can be used if you need to stop for any reason, such as a car breakdown or the grandchildren needing lunch.

Lorry Lane - This lane is reserved for goods vehicles. Cars are only permitted to use it when joining or leaving the motorway and only for the purposes of getting to or from the Car lane

Car Lane - All cars and vans, including cars towing caravans must use this lane at all times

Hard Shoulder - This lane is reserved for emergency vehicles only

Motorways with odd numbers of lanes

Some heavily congested motorways are given an additional lorry lane in order to speed up deliveries to Somerfield. These are inserted between the normal lorry lane and the car lane, so remember to move across one more lane if you find yourself on such a motorway

Some motorways have one less lane than normal. In these circumstances you must occupy the rightmost lane. Since there is no lane for emergency vehicles they must share the car lane and give way to cars

Joining a motorway

All motorways have slip roads to allow motorists to queue without causing congestion on the rest of the road network. The speed limit for slip roads is 30mph and strictly enforced at all times. The following procedure should be used when joining a motorway

Drive to the end of the slip road and stop
Wait for a gap of at least 50 feet between lorries. Be aware that some car drivers illegally use the lorry lane so what appears to be a gap may actually contain a car. By law they should move out of the way once you begin to merge but often they fail to do so
Pull into the gap. The lorry behind will slow down to allow you to enter the motorway
Move into the car lane. Other cars will make room for you once you start moving
Congratulations, you have completed one of the most skilled and challenging manouvres possible on todays roads

Driving on a motorway

Driving on a motorway is relatively simple. So long as you stay in the car lane all other vehicles except Transit vans must give way to you. The speed limit is 60mph but do not worry if you are uncomfortable at this speed as it is a limit not a target. Concentrate on finding the correct exit as follows:

All exit information signs are preceded by three 100 yard warning signs. Keep an eye out for these signs and you will never miss a junction. Note that the signs are often hard to see due to the lorries undertaking you. Under no circumstances should you use the lorry lane in order to get a better view of the signage.

Signs on gantries can safely be ignored. They are for lorries only, this is why they are so high up

Leaving a motorway

Once you have counted down the three 100 yard markers and read the junction information sign, do the following

Consult your map. The junction sign will list a number of towns. Find the junction on your map that is closest to all these towns
If this is the junction you want, move immediately into the lorry lane
Remember the speed limit on slip roads is 30mph, you must slow down to this speed before entering the slip road. Lorry drivers will be expecting this and will make room for you, Move into the slip road and leave the motorway

Odd but so true, :laughing: :laughing:
You forgot the bit where it says :

Slip roads on and off motorways.
These are reserved for lorry drivers on tachograph breaks and for doing paperwork and route analysis (even if they have just left a depot).
Far right lane:
Towing trailers is also arduous, if you are a rush this can be an extra lane to be utilized at your peril.

Licence

If you still have a paper licence (that is if you have a valid licence at all ), if it states " Tear along dotted line " - - feel free to do so :grimacing:

irony can be a ■■■■■ at times

Heading northbound M1 jcn 29 through the roadworks last night, a motor home driver decided he was going to ignore everyone around him and in his own little world was going to
hogg lane 2, along comes a container driver behind him in lane 2 flashing his lights, this had no effect so after a while the container driver used lane 3 to get past him (tut tut), then along comes a stobart truck doing the same, ie flashing his lights, this time the numpty driver took notice and pulled over to lane 1 and the stobart truck passed him, at this point im still in lane 1 and now thinking im going to have to pull into lane 2 to overtake. To my surprise the motor home driver then must have seen an imaginary object and pulled back into lane 2, I just plodded past him on the inside tooting my horn to wake him up. In 5 mins he had been passed by 3 artics all in different lanes LOL, the last I saw of him was in my mirror and he was still hogging lane 2 :frowning:

probably retired , in later years , payed his/her tax,
Why would he/she be bothered what anyone else thinks or that he/she should do ? :grimacing:

If hogging the middle lane then go round em

m1cks:
Worse ones are those who wont change lane when you signal to pull out because you want to overtake. I’m not one for pulling out on cars but sometimes they make me feel like it because they’re so oblivious to their surroundings.

Who says they have to move over for ya■■? You don’t have right of way as you wish to join their lane.

robbo99:
Heading northbound M1 jcn 29 through the roadworks last night, a motor home driver decided he was going to ignore everyone around him and in his own little world was going to
hogg lane 2, along comes a container driver behind him in lane 2 flashing his lights, this had no effect so after a while the container driver used lane 3 to get past him (tut tut), then along comes a stobart truck doing the same, ie flashing his lights, this time the numpty driver took notice and pulled over to lane 1 and the stobart truck passed him, at this point im still in lane 1 and now thinking im going to have to pull into lane 2 to overtake. To my surprise the motor home driver then must have seen an imaginary object and pulled back into lane 2, I just plodded past him on the inside tooting my horn to wake him up. In 5 mins he had been passed by 3 artics all in different lanes LOL, the last I saw of him was in my mirror and he was still hogging lane 2 :frowning:

And he’ll no doubt voice opinions at his golf club in loud and obnoxious tones how unruly and dangerous were the antics of certain lorry drivers when he went out in his camper van.
Tossers like this make me bubble.