Middle Lane Hoggers - 1 year on

Is it possible to find out how many motorists have been fined for middle lane hogging under the freedom of information act? And if so do you have to pay for the info?

Ched:
Is it possible to find out how many motorists have been fined for middle lane hogging under the freedom of information act? And if so do you have to pay for the info?

Yes and it is Unlikely they would charge you.

Search WhatDoTheyKnow

had some muppet in the roadworks section M25 today,flashed the lights ,he took no notice he was doing maybe 40MPH in the middle lane so I eventually undertook,i gestured to him to move over when I was passed him,again no notice took,so further up I looked in my mirror and he was still doing around 40MPH and holding a lot of other drivers up,he overtook me a few miles further when the roadworks ended past jcn 25,i gave him the coffee bean shake as he went past,its times like that I wish I was a traffic cop in an unmarked car

I was travelling up the M1 towards J22 this morning and undertook an Elddis lorry doing at best 49 as he was being passed (if you call speed matching passed) by They Who Take Your Safety Seriously :wink:
I know all the life members of Brake and RoSPA will be disgusted but ■■■■■■■■.

truckman020:
had some muppet in the roadworks section M25 today,flashed the lights ,he took no notice he was doing maybe 40MPH in the middle lane so I eventually undertook,i gestured to him to move over when I was passed him,again no notice took,so further up I looked in my mirror and he was still doing around 40MPH and holding a lot of other drivers up,he overtook me a few miles further when the roadworks ended past jcn 25,i gave him the coffee bean shake as he went past,its times like that I wish I was a traffic cop in an unmarked car

Jesus, why get so wound up about it? Pass him on the inside and carry on with what you’re doing.

trubster:

Ched:

Search WhatDoTheyKnow

Thanks. I’ve contacted the transport police regarding this to set the wheels in motion. I’ll post any info I get in reply when I get it.

Ched:

trubster:

Ched:

Search WhatDoTheyKnow

Thanks. I’ve contacted the transport police regarding this to set the wheels in motion. I’ll post any info I get in reply when I get it.

Try DVLA/DVSA too.

Ask for numbers of endorsements for lane hogging

Just re-read the OP’s link. The last paragraph in the link says “There are currently no nationwide figures for the number of people pulled over for lane hogging, but the Department for Transport told Sky News they intend to undertake research to examine how effective the introduction of careless driving as a fixed penalty offence has been.”

Basically that means no one has been charged.

I sent my inquiry to British Transport Police. If anyone knows, they should :slight_smile:

To be honest I think it would be too hard to enforce. Let’s say I was overtaking a lorry and there was another lorry 300 yards ahead. By the time I’ve overtaken the first lorry and it’s safe to pull back in I would need to pull back out in another 10 seconds to overtake the lorry ahead. So if I just stayed in the middle lane instead of lane hopping would that count as middle lane hogging?

It’s the same with tailgating. I heard there were plans for installing tail gating cameras along a stretch of the M4, but I don’t see how they could be enforced … all it would take would be for someone to slam on their brakes near a “tailgating” camera and the innocent sod behind would get a ticket.

Try riding a motorbike on the motorway :unamused: No one will move over from the outside lane :imp:
So you end up doing what you want to make progress.
Why does everyone in this country have such an attitude?

Ched:
I sent my inquiry to British Transport Police. If anyone knows, they should :slight_smile:

You mean the police who are tasked with policing the UK’s railways?

m1cks:

Ched:

I had to start somewhere. They replied that I should ask local police forces. Bottom line is no one has been done for middle lane hogging and if they have, no one knows anything about it. I shall continue with my inquiries

Ched:

m1cks:

Ched:

I had to start somewhere. They replied that I should ask local police forces. Bottom line is no one has been done for middle lane hogging and if they have, no one knows anything about it. I shall continue with my inquiries

You’d be better sending a FOI request to local police forces or contacting the safety camera partnerships in any area to see if they have statistics.

Finally happened. Hefty fine too.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr … 35040.html

I was on the M62 This afternoon, yet another hogger and every man and his dog going around the little black car :unamused:

And now we know who :smiley:
dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ogger.html

At what point did this guy think that posing for a picture with his van, was a good idea?

Has he sold his story to pay for his fine■■?

I’m guessing this would in normal circumstance have been a fixed penalty of £100. It spiralled to nearly a grand because he did nothing aout it, it went to court where the penalty will always increase for whatever offence and the bloke didn’t show for that either.
I’ve no sympathy for anyine hat sticks to the middle lane and stops us getting past, sticking your head in the sand and pretending it didn’t happen will only make it worse.