Microwaves in lorries

I’m thinking of getting a microwave for the lorry but was wondering whats the best way to do it, I was going to get a microwave in asda and an inverter on eBay. Would this be the best way to do it? If so what kind of inverter would be best? I’m thinking 1000w. Can I run the inverter through the cigarette lighter or would I be better off getting it wired in professionally. Cheers

Is I understand it, the wattage of a microwave oven is not the same as the wattage you would need to power it, you would need an inverter rated at least twice that of a microwave oven, so you would be looking at a 2000w inverter.

By all means plug it in to the cigarette lighter socket, the fire brigade’s number is 999. :wink:

Yea, youll need an inverter big enough to power a house to put a microwave in and get it put in properly or have 999 on speed dial

Hi, I have just got a microwave up and running in my cab. I bought the inverter off Ebay, It’s a 3000w one (with 6000w peak surge) that is more than capable of handling my microwave, toaster and kettle.
I bought it from a seller in China, It cost me about £150, plus a little love note off UK customs asking for £16 in unpaid duties, (still worked out around half the price of buying in the UK.
Mine is wired straight into batteries via Anderson leads, and for that size inverter you will definitely have to connect straight to your batteries, By the way I think you will need much bigger than 1000w, there’s a thread about it on here somewhere if you do a search.

I have been thinking of getting a microwave for ages. The 24 v come up regular on ebay but do go for a lot of money unless you get an unusually cheap buy it now. (they do happen but you need to be quick)
I am quite happy with my all ride 24 volt oven which I got for about £15 in northampton services about 6 months ago. It does ready meals in about 20 mins as well as pies, toasties, bacon etc

Now personally, I think it’s about time trucks came fitted with a heavy duty inverter as standard, or at least as an option. Inverters would be far cheaper to buy if you were Volvo and could order 50,000 of them in one go. A 240v power supply isn’t a great deal to ask for.

Manuman:
Hi, I have just got a microwave up and running in my cab. I bought the inverter off Ebay, It’s a 3000w one (with 6000w peak surge) that is more than capable of handling my microwave, toaster and kettle.
I bought it from a seller in China, It cost me about £150, plus a little love note off UK customs asking for £16 in unpaid duties, (still worked out around half the price of buying in the UK.
Mine is wired straight into batteries via Anderson leads, and for that size inverter you will definitely have to connect straight to your batteries, By the way I think you will need much bigger than 1000w, there’s a thread about it on here somewhere if you do a search.

What sort of cable do you run it off?

Mr B:

Manuman:

An Anderson lead as stated, they can also be found on EBay if you are unsure.

i know a lot of lads run it through the anderson socket on the back of the unit if it has one using a modded cow bell easy to remove if needed

Mr B:

Manuman:

This would be the lead and connectors you would need, however your leads would probably need to be a bit longer. ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-Jump-Lea … 3153wt_665

No no I was meaning what grade cable do you need to handle that much current?

Does anyone have one of these?

ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Red-Wa … 326wt_1139

Manuman:

That’s exactly the same set up as I have and it works a treat although I got the inverter and microwave off a mate for 40 quid for the two. :wink: :smiley:

Harry Monk:
Now personally, I think it’s about time trucks came fitted with a heavy duty inverter as standard, or at least as an option. Inverters would be far cheaper to buy if you were Volvo and could order 50,000 of them in one go. A 240v power supply isn’t a great deal to ask for.

my scania came fitted with a 1000w inverter, a coffee machine and remote central locking/immobilizer without any extra cost. I didn’t want a microwave as the ones they put in at scania are useless imho, couldn’t heat up a muffin in a week.

Harry Monk:

Looks interesting at that price, wonder if it’s any good ■■

Harry Monk:

Review fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/vid … -star-pt-4

I run my 800 watt microwave off a 1500 watt inverter no problem. I also use an Anderson plug , there was cable in the box when it came. Got the inverter from tlc for £150. They have several depots around the country and deliver at no extra cost. I prefer buying that sort of thing from a shop in case it goes wrong but 18 months in it hasn’t missed a beat & it’s on pretty much 24 hrs a day when I’m in the truck. Must have made my money back several times too.

Www.tlc-direct.co.uk

Thetaff:

Manuman:

That’s exactly the same set up as I have and it works a treat although I got the inverter and microwave off a mate for 40 quid for the two. :wink: :smiley:

that’s just because you are a tight arse and pulled your mates pants down for them :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mr B:
No no I was meaning what grade cable do you need to handle that much current?

Grades of cable? Not a speciality of mine, however if an Anderson lead can handle a tail lift, and jump start a truck, my guess and personal experience is that it will be, and is, enough to run my mobile kitchen
:smiley: