Microwave

Hi all,

One of our drivers mentioned that they would like a microwave the other day so i was looking into it. just seeing whether a modified sine wave inverter worked okay or whether it had to be a pure sine wave?

Thanks in advance

Q: who is paying for it, the company or the driver?
What is the budget for this project?

A little more information regarding what is required may help the members give more accurate information

Modified will be perfectly fine to run a microwave. If it was going to be used to power delicate electricals such as a laptop or gaming console a pure sine wave would be more suited.

peirre:

A little more information regarding what is required may help the members give more accurate information

To be fair he’s asked a very precise question. Not sure what who’s paying has to do with it.

I ran my microwave off this cheapo jobbie from Amazon and it worked well>

Cewaal 2000W 2000W Auto Car Vehicle Power Inverter 24V-220V/12V-110B
amazon.co.uk/dp/B073QFZ62G/ … -Bb3NRY7F1

Thank you for this. I was thinking it might have to be a pure sine wave as you can get an inverter (modified sine wave) and household fairly cheaply, whereas a specific 24v lorry microwave is quite expensive.

All your help is mich appreciated

Where a modified sine wave inverter might be problematic is when a microwave has an electronic display, so get one with a mechanical timer switch.

Modified sine, and cheap microwave, would be fine. 24v microwaves are fairly crap compared to proper ones.

switchlogic:

peirre:

To be fair he’s asked a very precise question. Not sure what who’s paying has to do with it.

I ran my microwave off this cheapo jobbie from Amazon and it worked well>

Cewaal 2000W 2000W Auto Car Vehicle Power Inverter 24V-220V/12V-110B
amazon.co.uk/dp/B073QFZ62G/ … -Bb3NRY7F1

There are some truck make specific solutions available, the kind of stuff usually spec’d when ordering a new truck, but if operators are willing to pay for aftermarket parts. Such as if a driver wants to use their own microwave in a truck and is asking their employer to provide an inverter that’s that’s coupled to the Anderson lead or wired in to a specific vehicle.

I asked my Boss for a microwave 4 months ago, They put in a 2500w modified Inverter and left a Brand new packed household Microwave on the passenger seat, with the instructions “the rest you can do yourself” so put Microwave in Top locker got my self an extension cord, plugged it all in,and switched on , Bang!!! 1 dead Inverter Back to are workshop the following weekend, the electrician jumped in took one look and said “wrong Inverter” (he was on Holiday the week before) So 430€ for a Pure sinus 2500w Inverter and 280€ down the drain for a now knackerd modified Inverter and a notice on the workshop wall to all drivers and workshop Personel " Do not connect Microwaves , Coffee Pad Machines and LCD Tvs to Modifeid Inverters) :smiley:

Okay, so we think a decent modified sine wave inverter and a cheap mechanical microwave will do the job. Thank you all very much I can get on and sort this out this week now.

gbtransp:
I asked my Boss for a microwave 4 months ago, They put in a 2500w modified Inverter and left a Brand new packed household Microwave on the passenger seat, with the instructions “the rest you can do yourself” so put Microwave in Top locker got my self an extension cord, plugged it all in,and switched on , Bang!!! 1 dead Inverter Back to are workshop the following weekend, the electrician jumped in took one look and said “wrong Inverter” (he was on Holiday the week before) So 430€ for a Pure sinus 2500w Inverter and 280€ down the drain for a now knackerd modified Inverter and a notice on the workshop wall to all drivers and workshop Personel " Do not connect Microwaves , Coffee Pad Machines and LCD Tvs to Modifeid Inverters) :smiley:

Disagree…been using both a modified sinewave inverter and a cheap shop bought microwave for about 18 months, as long as you remember to start the engine before switching on you should have no problems…must have been a dodgy inverter you had, or a dodgy microwave

cracker-bar:
Modified sine, and cheap microwave, would be fine. 24v microwaves are fairly crap compared to proper ones.

Not sure I agree with the last bit mate.
It’s like everything else, it depends on quality and make.
I ran the same 24v Samsung microwave in about 10 different trucks for around 16 yrs untll it went.
I’m now using a household microwave with a 3000w inverter that I bought off Harry on here about a year ago, which is still.working fine.
My biggest problem was finding a microwave small enough in size to fit into the crappy overhead cupboard in the Actros. :unamused:

RIPPER:

gbtransp:

Disagree…been using both a modified sinewave inverter and a cheap shop bought microwave for about 18 months, as long as you remember to start the engine before switching on you should have no problems…must have been a dodgy inverter you had, or a dodgy microwave

Same here , microwave from curry’s and same inverter as beefy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robroy:

cracker-bar:

I ran the same 24v Samsung microwave in about 10 different trucks for around 16 yrs untll it went.
I’m now using a household microwave with a 3000w inverter that I bought off Harry on here about a year ago, which is still.working fine.
My biggest problem was finding a microwave small enough in size to fit into the crappy overhead cupboard in the Actros. :unamused:

which microwave did you find to fit as I am after one for my actros ?

taz1972:

robroy:

cracker-bar:

Just Google Daewoo 600w compact microwave for model no.
They’re designed for small kitchens or caravans.
They’re about 70 quid, but I was lucky as I found one on Gumtree boxed up unused for 20. :sunglasses:
Every other (afaik) are too big for an Actros cupboard, so it’s an under the passenger seat job otherwise, even that one is a tight squeeze. :unamused:

Our place has a sign up saying don’t use rapid boil kettles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robroy:

taz1972:

robroy:

cracker-bar:

Just Google Daewoo 600w compact microwave for model no.
They’re designed for small kitchens or caravans.
They’re about 70 quid, but I was lucky as I found one on Gumtree boxed up unused for 20. :sunglasses:
Every other (afaik) are too big for an Actros cupboard, so it’s an under the passenger seat job otherwise, even that one is a tight squeeze. :unamused:

I could get a standard size one under the Actros seat ,
I my MAN it lives under the bunk

^^^^^^^
I meant a tight squeeze in the cupboard.
You’re right a standard one goes under seat no bother, also you can get a fairly big one in the MAN xxl cupboard comfortably.

robroy:
^^^^^^^
I meant a tight squeeze in the cupboard.
You’re right a standard one goes under seat no bother, also you can get a fairly bigvone in the MAN xxl cupboard comfortably.

A packet of crisps are a tight squeeze in an Actros locker [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Any way can’t fit a microwave in my centre locker