Microlise

Just got back to depot and pulled by an “apprentice” on using cruise control. I’ve just had a driving lesson on how not to use the accelerator to go faster but the buttons…yaayyy…just like my Xbox!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:
Just got back to depot and pulled by an “apprentice” on using cruise control. I’ve just had a driving lesson on how not to use the accelerator to go faster but the buttons…yaayyy…just like my Xbox!!

Which shows you how ridiculous it is as that is less fuel efficient than using the pedal.

Just say “Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir”…

And then just carry on at normal.

TheUncaringCowboy:

EddieMD:

Which shows you how ridiculous it is as that is less fuel efficient than using the pedal.

Used to be, less so now on a modern lorry. Back in day pressing resume would have truck accelerating flat out to get to set speed but now I find they tend to accelerate very gently upto cruise

TheUncaringCowboy:

EddieMD:

Yup, but even at least one of the maker’s own training departments tries to teach driving on the buttons.

I have my instant fuel readout set to permanent display on the dash, and have proved beyond doubt that it’s possible to keep to the same speed on known regular hills by using the throttle carefully and smoothly, where cruise applies full throttle when climbing, same progress for less fuel used.
Obviously old hat method disapproved by computer, Eddie please send this office boy (who’s probably never sat behind a lorry wheel in anger) round to teach us all how to bloody drive will you :unamused:

Juddian:

TheUncaringCowboy:

EddieMD:

Yup, but even at least one of the maker’s own training departments tries to teach driving on the buttons.

I have my instant fuel readout set to permanent display on the dash, and have proved beyond doubt that it’s possible to keep to the same speed on known regular hills by using the throttle carefully and smoothly, where cruise applies full throttle when climbing, same progress for less fuel used.
Obviously old hat method disapproved by computer, Eddie please send this office boy (who’s probably never sat behind a lorry wheel in anger) round to teach us all how to bloody drive will you :unamused:

Would love to but think be might need to be in bed by 7 or so… [emoji23]

switchlogic:

TheUncaringCowboy:

EddieMD:

Used to be, less so now on a modern lorry. Back in day pressing resume would have truck accelerating flat out to get to set speed but now I find they tend to accelerate very gently upto cruise

Touche Sir! I’ve noticed our most recent trucks have a ‘soft resume’ (fnarr fnarr!) CC facility.

The slightly ridiculous thing about using the buttons is that with all the plethora of controls on a modern steering wheel to keep your hands fully occupied, you’d think it would be more sensible to use one of the two under-utilised feet to do something, the left one already being redundant now we are pretty much all on auto boxes.

The Scania I drive has a very poor cruise control system…

It switches off and goes to neutral a lot of the time, especially when nearing the top of a hill. Now a days I just sit with my foot to the floor, I don’t do long trunks, thank God as it annoys the hell out of me.

RonnieJ:

It switches off and goes to neutral a lot of the time, especially when nearing the top of a hill. Now a days I just sit with my foot to the floor, I don’t do long trunks, thank God as it annoys the hell out of me.

Can you not turn it off? I can’t remember as it’s been a while since I had a scania but on the FHs you can turn it off so it doesn’t go to neutral. I didn’t like it at first but I got used to it and always use it now although sometimes I have to override it as it goes to neutral too quick (usually when someone flashes me in and then I end up slowing down in front of them)

Just tell them that you don’t use it on road safety grounds because you think the systems are unsafe . If they then insist, ask for it in writing along with the details of their insurance company, then send a copy of their demand to the insurers and to your own along with your objection to using it.

Suspect the office boy probably thinks driving a truck is the same as the car racing game he no doubt plays every night after school…err, work.

Does he even have a car licence, as in a DVLA not LEGOLAND one. :slight_smile:

As for CC going into neutral, that sounds similar to a MAN hire one we had which seemed to know where the tops of hills were, except it slowed before getting there and forgot about the 44T its dragging.

Glad our trucks are too old to bother with this stuff.

I’d just cane the fkr

RonnieJ:

It’s actually very clever, not poor at all. It goes into neutral to let your momentum carry you over the hill and your weight to bring you back up to speed going down it again.

Trying to use it in England is pointless as it’s far too busy and full of bellends.

I have a manual and don’t bother with cruise control and I’ve never used a microlise. It’s great.

Yes that terrain reading cruise is very clever, if you set it to say 53mph it will increase speed just before a climb to 55 in order to make the climb in top gear more likely, and yes it will back off by up to 7kph near the the crest of the rise to let gravity take it down the next slope.
Where this all falls down is that our roads are often too crowded to leave it to its own devices, because lots of ■■■ for tat overtakes with more bunching pushing and shoving resulting than would otherwise be the case.

TheUncaringCowboy:

RonnieJ:

It’s actually very clever, not poor at all. It goes into neutral to let your momentum carry you over the hill and your weight to bring you back up to speed going down it again.

It’s NOT clever at all. That is the kind of guff that would only be spouted by a pointy shoe’d office wallah that has never driven a before or a new kid that’s only had his licence for 2 mins. :unamused:

Does the system take into consideration whether you’re running loaded or empty? No it does not.

Does the system take into consideration whether there’s a force 9 head wind blowing at you as you crest the hill? No it does not.

Try cresting the top of Windy Hill when it’s breezy when you have the so-called intelligent cruise control switched on. The system has already cut the power in anticipation of you thundering down the other side at 70 with your imaginary 26 pallets of pop on. What the system doesn’t know is that once you come out of the cutting your coasting speed with be reduced to minus figures as a 50mph wind hits you head on, requiring a hasty input on the right pedal by the driver before the bloke behind drives into the back of you. OK I exaggerate a little but my experiences of them is that left to their own devices they let the speed drop wayyyyyyyy too low before finally waking up.

Even when it’s not windy, there are plenty of motorway hills where the weight of the truck won’t be sufficient for it to roll down the hill without some acceleration, especially if truck isn’t aerodynamic, yet these so-called intelligent gizmos still cut the power because they’re all programmed on the assumption that you’ve got 26 pallets of pop on.

here you go another week as stobarts most fuel efficient driver :smiley:

dozy:
here you go another week as stobarts most fuel efficient driver :smiley:

You won’t be smiling on Friday afternoon.

Rob K:

TheUncaringCowboy:

RonnieJ:

It’s NOT clever at all. That is the kind of guff that would only be spouted by a pointy shoe’d office wallah that has never driven a before or a new kid that’s only had his licence for 2 mins. :unamused:

Does the system take into consideration whether you’re running loaded or empty? No it does not.

Does the system take into consideration whether there’s a force 9 head wind blowing at you as you crest the hill? No it does not.

Try cresting the top of Windy Hill when it’s breezy when you have the so-called intelligent cruise control switched on. The system has already cut the power in anticipation of you thundering down the other side at 70 with your imaginary 26 pallets of pop on. What the system doesn’t know is that once you come out of the cutting your coasting speed with be reduced to minus figures as a 50mph wind hits you head on, requiring a hasty input on the right pedal by the driver before the bloke behind drives into the back of you. OK I exaggerate a little but my experiences of them is that left to their own devices they let the speed drop wayyyyyyyy too low before finally waking up.

Even when it’s not windy, there are plenty of motorway hills where the weight of the truck won’t be sufficient for it to roll down the hill without some acceleration, especially if truck isn’t aerodynamic, yet these so-called intelligent gizmos still cut the power because they’re all programmed on the assumption that you’ve got 26 pallets of pop on.

It’s been a while since I’ve had the pleasure of an auto box with the feature but found it worked well across France, Spain and Italy.

There’s nothing forcing you to use it. I believe I know best when it comes to driving it, so if it decides it wants to coast over the hill in a situation like youve described then I’ll take over and accelerate over the hill. I’ve only ever driven a scania with it and only ever used it abroad, like I say trying it in England is pointless. Like you say, you get that feeling that you’ll be rear ended.

It’s a clever idea and works well when it can be used properly. In heavy traffic with a force 9 in your face, empty, obviously isn’t the right time to use it. But only a halfwit who cared what his office thought of his fuel figures would use it then. :unamused:

dozy:
here you go another week as stobarts most fuel efficient driver [emoji1]

That shows only your last active Day.

It doesn’t say anything you’re the most fuel efficient driver working for Eddies.

But it doesn’t matter Doze, you keep on dreaming that the Scotts drive on the other side etc.

EDIT:
Already waiting for the topic “Wife has to pick me up in Scotland”
followed by “but the she never been over the water. Daughter is picking me up now, as she cooks steak.
I jack the job on Monday to be back in an Eddies Truck on Tuesday”