Michelin tyre HP

Michelin for the last 6 months have been selling AG tyres on 0% finance over 2 years, some of these deals have been done up to 20k, do Michelin have any thoughts to bring this offer to the hard pressed trucking industry?

Tyre leasing isnt a new idea and Michelin have done it for many years. I remember having leased tyres on a fork lift truck that I drove when I left school. The construction industry came next and you first bought a Terex earthmover and then you leased the tyres.

Transalliance were big into tyre testing for Michelin and Goodyear Dunlop. they had tyre leasing deals on the lorries and trailers.

I would guess haulage co’s would be considered a worse risk profile typically. Personally I’d rather have a lower net cost over finance I didn’t really want.

Own Account Driver:
I would guess haulage co’s would be considered a worse risk profile typically. Personally I’d rather have a lower net cost over finance I didn’t really want.

I would agree, and asked the question that surely there would be more discount for payment and was told no, they have been giving away ipads and fuel vouchers also.

Say what you like about Mich but they are good tyres, pricey I know but after having 2 remoulds with 5 or 6mm blow out in 2 weeks on a hire trailer, one taking a mud guard and side light with it on max weight work & seeing the rubber left on the road with the heat on manoeuvring with the new tyre, I’m starting to think remould are a false economy except on light work.

Tyre fitter was saying you can offer to pay more rental for first life premium tyres so may look in to that.

Silver_Surfer:
Say what you like about Mich but they are good tyres, pricey I know but after having 2 remoulds with 5 or 6mm blow out in 2 weeks on a hire trailer, one taking a mud guard and side light with it on max weight work & seeing the rubber left on the road with the heat on manoeuvring with the new tyre, I’m starting to think remould are a false economy except on light work.

Tyre fitter was saying you can offer to pay more rental for first life premium tyres so may look in to that.

Michelin on the AG side are almost 100% better than their competitors, their sidewall technology is streets ahead of the opposition, I have some tractors that I took an OE option of Mich tyres on and the list cost was 4.5k per tractor, but you can lay the power through them, im no expert on lorrys but I think (having read the thread on here, pros, cons) I want some super single steer tyres for my truck to stop it sinking in the fields and will probably put Michelin on it if they are only £100 more than anything else. Buying price is immaterial, only when you have worn the tyre out can you calculate the ‘cost’

Having just taken off the last Michelin remould drive that was on the truck because of a bulge caused by carcase failure, the third one to go that way, I’ll be sticking to buying Bridgestone and Hankook first life tyres from now on.
I’ve been running Hankooks on the trailer (17.5’s) for a year or so after dropping Michelins, the Hankooks might not last quite as long wear wise, but at 60% of the price of Mich and with far tougher side walls they get my vote. No doubt Mr Newmercman will be along just now to point out the error of my ways :wink: :grimacing:

The tyre chap was saying hankook have come a long way recently, he rated them.

I think basically if you can’t afford new premium then budget new like hankook are the way to go rather than remoulds.

The biggest pain is when tyres blow out, remoulds are more prone to blow out than first lifers taking half your unit or trailer with it along with a pair of your underpants.

No remoulds for me again.

Silver_Surfer:
The tyre chap was saying hankook have come a long way recently, he rated them.

Do you remember the Profumo case? :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair. I have rated Hankook for many years as I had a full set on my unit and trailer which did me well, and much cheaper than Pilote

Silver_Surfer:
I think basically if you can’t afford new premium then budget new like hankook are the way to go

Hankooks budget?, If only :laughing: , price wise they’re nipping at the heels of Bridestone :neutral_face:

Big Joe:

Silver_Surfer:
I think basically if you can’t afford new premium then budget new like hankook are the way to go

Hankooks budget?, If only :laughing: , price wise they’re nipping at the heels of Bridestone :neutral_face:

Ive always bought Bridgestone low loader tyres Joe, will need a set soon, are hankook better return for cost?

i think in many cases hankook are as good or even better than bridgestones dm05’s as s/single on my trailer have outlasted the bridgestone equivalents and the ah22 as a steer tyre are outlasting bridgestone 297’s on quarry tipper work, the hankooks have also done quite wel as twins on stepframe flat trailer, price wise as pointed out hankooks are only a tad cheaper than the bridgestones

puntabrava:
Ive always bought Bridgestone low loader tyres Joe, will need a set soon, are hankook better return for cost?

Hankook have cranked their prices up recently, so theres probably not a lot between them and Bridgestone, on the other hand due to the price they currently charge specing Michelin tyres seems a no-no :neutral_face:

Big Joe:

puntabrava:

Hankook have cranked their prices up recently, so theres probably not a lot between them and Bridgestone, on the other hand due to the price they currently charge specing Michelin tyres seems a no-no :neutral_face:

I bought a 2 year old nooteboom trailer and is on original Michelins but 2mm on all of them :cry: so need to do something soon.

Big Joe:

puntabrava:

I have been running on Hankook drive tyres for 20 years now and Bridgestone on the steer axle but as Big Joe says they have gone up quite a lot over the last 2 or 3 years ,but I haven’t bothered with cheaper options as the Hankook casings will stand up to tipper work without the worry of blow outs and the damage they cause.

Big Joe:

Silver_Surfer:

Well not mich/good year/conti money I mean.

Lets settle on mid table.

Well for all the Michelin links to here, do we get an explanation from them as to why their truck product appears to not represent value for money to the contributors to the thread? cannot be good when Hankook are mentioned above them.

When I first started messing around with motorcycles the Japanese bikes came fitted with Bridgestone tyres, itself a motorcycle manufacturer. The bikes were good but too expensive, the tyres were thrown away and replaced with Dunlop or Avon. Now Bridgestones are the sought after tyres for bikes and the norm on F1.

Have Michelin lost their way? even with the fantastic road maps.

Mich truck tyres have always been a premium product punta it’s just wether you think they are worth the extra over the competition.

They’re the dearest tyre you can buy so unless you’re poncing around in a 730, probably not for you, or me for that matter.

I only used to spec them on the front steer axle as I wanted to do all I could to avoid front steer blow out.

I put Michelin Remixes on my Premium about 9 months before I sold it and when it went they were still looking very well. They were about 100quid a tyre cheaper than Bridgestone M729s at the time I bought them and in time time I had them they were wearing at least as well as, if not better than, the Bridgestones I had on before.

Paul