Metric to Imperial petition

caledoniandream:
I would quote you km/ litre
It’s easy your odometer in the truck tells you km, the fuel pump tell you litres, so divide km by litres and you have your answer.
No conversions to do, straight forward.

My old gaffer told me years ago, don’t look for ways to make it difficult, try always to make it as easy as possible.

If you calculate you tank to tank, you have to convert the reading on your odometer to miles and the litres you put in your tank to gallons.
What is easier■■?

If litres per km was the relevant measurement why officially state figures in litres per 100 kms.

Bearing in mind that distances are still measured in miles here and it’s only tacho equipped vehicles that have speed and distance calibrated in metric.As for conversion from litres to gallons I think more people use the around 45 litres = 10 gallons conversion factor than those who rely on the bs metric litres figure.Especially when filling a 20 let alone 200 + gallon tank.

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:
CF please explain the advantages of imperial measurements, which one do you mean, Whitworth, AF, BSF, Fahrenheit.
Don’t forget the measurements in gallons, pints, cups, and a nice one fluid ounces.

As I said imperial provides numerous different measures for different applications.Which is why we don’t need to measure bridge heights in yards or have to use reference points based on yards whether it’s 1,000 miles or 1,000 th of an inch or cutting a piece of wood measuring 14 feet 6 inches.While lbs feet is a far better representation of torque than newton metres and pounds per square inch is better than 1,000 grammes per square 100th of a metre.

While filling a fuel tank in gallons and measuring consumption in miles per gallon is better than using litres to denote everything from a carton of milk to a tankful of fuel and the silly equation of litres per 100,000 metres to show consumption.All because grammes litres and metres is all you’ve got to work with. :unamused:

Yes but you haven’t answered my question: WHY is it better■■?

I have clearly answered your question.IE numerous types of measurement references that suit different applications.If you don’t like it that’s not my problem.Although it’s no surprise that Euroland is still acting true to form in trying to impose its bs measurement standards on us.Including indoctrination of the younger generation by removing the imperial measurement system from the education regime.

Dam those Eurocrats forcing their measurement system on Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.

I’d have to say that I have heard numerous drivers saying their truck does “eight miles to the gallon” but I have never EVER heard one saying “my truck does 35 litres per 100 kilometres”.

Harry Monk:
I’d have to say that I have heard numerous drivers saying their truck does “eight miles to the gallon” but I have never EVER heard one saying “my truck does 35 litres per 100 kilometres”.

I have used both systems, especially if as I do set some of the units in the truck in metric as I like to use KMs, some then don’t give the option of an MPG readout, so you get used to seeing l/100kms.
if you’re comparing trucks or monitoring fuel usage, doesn’t really matter what system you use as long as you’re consistent.
But if asked I’ll use MPG as it’s better understood in the UK.

Harry Monk:

Blimey Harry you must have heard them say it does 2.8 litres per kilometre though.

Just think what might have been if we’d have banned the other imperial measurements other than the yard and quart.In which case the relevant figure in imperial would have been quarts per thousand yards. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

muckles:
Dam those Eurocrats forcing their measurement system on Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.

Forced in the form of removing imperial measurements from the education system and indoctrinating the new generations that bs metric is best without question being the correct term.IE more enforced ignorance and self loathing of our own culture.

Carryfast:

muckles:

Forced in the form of removing imperial measurements from the education system and indoctrinating the new generations that bs metric is best without question being the correct term.IE more enforced ignorance and self loathing of our own culture.

What!! :open_mouth: The EU removed the Imperial system from the Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and South African education system, bunch of [zb]'s . :imp:

muckles:
What!! :open_mouth: The EU removed the Imperial system from the Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and South African education system, bunch of [zb]'s . :imp:

No.Our own respective governments all for similar PC reasons.

Carryfast:

If you want to trade with the rest of a world that uses a different system of measurement, you have three choices.

1. use your system as they use theirs and hope there isn’t a ■■■■ up! (Examples of said ■■■■ ups are available with a swift google)
  2. make the entire world change over to your system
  3. change your system to match everyone else’s.

Despite the objections of ■■■■■■■■ imperialists, we decided to fall in line with the rest of the world.

IMO it was always going to be downhill once we started to use the wrong billion!

Carryfast:

muckles:
Back in the early 1970’s, America was on board with ICAO and ready to make the jump to metric. A presidential order was made and Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975.

And doesn’t the Aviation Industry use US Imperial, not UK, some differences especially in liquid volumes, so are you going to refuse to fly until those dam colonials use proper Imperial measurements?

The main imperial units used in aviation are feet and nautical miles and pounds all of which are the same in US or UK.

Yes the American government might have tried a few times to go along with the demands of the metric nazis.But unlike here those who are enlightened enough to understand the advantages of imperial measurements are in greater numbers and have resisted such zb more successfully.

Europe uses KG.

Europe uses litres. Us uses Gallons but it’s a smaller Gal :confused: The worlds a unit soup

Captain Caveman 76:

Carryfast:

If you want to trade with the rest of a world that uses a different system of measurement, you have three choices.

1. use your system as they use theirs and hope there isn’t a ■■■■ up! (Examples of said ■■■■ ups are available with a swift google)
  2. make the entire world change over to your system
  3. change your system to match everyone else’s.

Despite the objections of ■■■■■■■■ imperialists, we decided to fall in line with the rest of the world.

IMO it was always going to be downhill once we started to use the wrong billion!

Ironically the English speaking world seemed to be doing fine ( better ) economically with Imperial measurements.While China or Europe aren’t exactly having any trade problems with their exports to the US.IE I think this is more an issue of allowing the culture of the English speaking world to be taken out than any problem with our historic system of measurement.

Freight Dog:

Carryfast:

muckles:
Back in the early 1970’s, America was on board with ICAO and ready to make the jump to metric. A presidential order was made and Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975.

And doesn’t the Aviation Industry use US Imperial, not UK, some differences especially in liquid volumes, so are you going to refuse to fly until those dam colonials use proper Imperial measurements?

The main imperial units used in aviation are feet and nautical miles and pounds all of which are the same in US or UK.

Yes the American government might have tried a few times to go along with the demands of the metric nazis.But unlike here those who are enlightened enough to understand the advantages of imperial measurements are in greater numbers and have resisted such zb more successfully.

Europe uses KG.

Europe uses litres. Us uses Gallons but it’s a smaller Gal :confused: The worlds a unit soup

Doesn’t aviation only pay for fuel in Gallons/Litres but calculates how much to load and possibly consumption in pounds or kg’s ?.While distance speed and height are usually calculated in feet,knots,nautical miles ?.

Carryfast:

Freight Dog:

Carryfast:

muckles:

Europe uses KG.

Doesn’t aviation only pay for fuel in Gallons/Litres but calculates how much to load and possibly consumption in pounds or kg’s ?.While distance speed and height are usually calculated in feet,knots,nautical miles ?.

IIRC horizontal distance is measured in (kilo)metres but vertical distance is in feet. Hazy memory so happy to be corrected.

Carryfast:
Ironically the English speaking world seemed to be doing fine ( better ) economically with Imperial measurements.While China or Europe aren’t exactly having any trade problems with their exports to the US.IE I think this is more an issue of allowing the culture of the English speaking world to be taken out than any problem with our historic system of measurement.

I was actually thinking of engineering implications. Didn’t we build the euro fighters wings the wrong size because we used imperial instead of metric? I posted a link on the other thread of a whoopsie we dropped for NASA for the same reason. Do a quick Google and I’m sure you’ll come up with other examples of why a standard measurement system is adopted.

Carryfast:

Freight Dog:

Carryfast:

muckles:

Europe uses KG.

I’m not sure how it’s paid for. The paperwork from the refueller is in kilograms and litres as are on board systems (lbs in us). All the others you see mainly. Russia and China use metres though. US and Japan use a different pressure unit for weather, inches of mercury rather than hectopascals/millibars. And Russia uses metres/second for wind velocity rather than knots.

Freight Dog:
I’m not sure how it’s paid for. The paperwork from the refueller is in kilograms and litres as are on board systems (lbs in us). All the others you see mainly. Russia and China use metres though. US and Japan use a different pressure unit for weather, inches of mercury rather than hectopascals/millibars. And Russia uses metres/second for wind velocity rather than knots.

On that note I’d make a few assumptions.In that firstly the US and UK aviation industries could have historically easily provided altitude calibration in miles and yards but for some reason decided that just feet were a better reference point.I’m guessing that it’s probably better to know where the thing is above the ground and relative to vertical seperation with other aircraft to the foot than the yard in that regard ?.Just like the navy was happy to determine navigation to the nautical mile but preferred to use just yards to range gunnery.

As for determining fuel load factors and weight distribution I’d guess that’s better to be done to the unit of the pound than the litre or gallon or 1,000 grammes.IE as in many other cases,unlike metric, imperial provides the right,many different,finer tuned units for the job. :bulb:

Captain Caveman 76:

Carryfast:

I was actually thinking of engineering implications. Didn’t we build the euro fighters wings the wrong size because we used imperial instead of metric? I posted a link on the other thread of a whoopsie we dropped for NASA for the same reason. Do a quick Google and I’m sure you’ll come up with other examples of why a standard measurement system is adopted.

Picture the scene von Braun says ve vil never get off ze ground let alone to ze Moon using Imperial measurements. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

asme.org/getmedia/fb4f1d1d-a … ocket.aspx

Carryfast:

Freight Dog:

On that note I’d make a few assumptions.In that firstly the US and UK aviation industries could have historically easily provided altitude calibration in miles and yards but for some reason decided that just feet were a better reference point.I’m guessing that it’s probably better to know where the thing is above the ground and relative to vertical seperation with other aircraft to the foot than the yard in that regard ?.Just like the navy was happy to determine navigation to the nautical mile but preferred to use just yards to range gunnery.

As for determining fuel load factors and weight distribution I’d guess that’s better to be done to the unit of the pound than the litre or gallon or 1,000 grammes.IE as in many other cases,unlike metric, imperial provides the right,many different,finer tuned units for the job. :bulb:

God knows how the wallers come up with this stuff. It’s usually politics and finance. I quite like the UK system, but I’m used to it :laughing:

You need a small unit for altimetry. Kilos works for fuel mass as does pounds. You just choose how you want to split an apple I suppose and work with it as told to. We work in tonnes and decimals with fuel on board but that’s only due to the size. Where it gets more crazy is a runway direction is referenced to magnetic north but airport wind forecast and reports are referenced to true north. Very interesting in Canada :laughing:

Us is imperial - ish. Yet ask them for a pint of beer!

Freight Dog:
You need a small unit for altimetry.

I’m guessing those call outs are better in feet than metres. :smiley: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ok18QiPkL1o

Carryfast:

Freight Dog:
You need a small unit for altimetry.

I’m guessing those call outs are better in feet than metres. :smiley: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ok18QiPkL1o

That EGPWS doesn’t half do some yacking on that 330 vid :laughing:

Try a smoke stack belching scania of the aviation world :laughing: :wink: youtu.be/7g0xL88ebXs