Metric to Imperial petition

Harry Monk:
I suppose I’m lucky in that I grew up in that brief period where both Imperial and metric were taught at school so I can work in either.

I think a lot of People in the UK, including many younger people work in the the 2 systems depending on the situation I know I do.
I don’t think it’s a problem provided everybody involved knows what system you’re working in.

Carryfast:
Let’s remove what remains of every national border and replace every seperate language in the world with one common language.What could possibly go wrong. :unamused: :laughing:

Isn’t that what they’ve done with Aviation? :confused:

Carryfast:
Meanwhile in the real world.Let me guess the metric nazis will now all refuse to fly until everyone adopts the Russian and Chinese standard. :open_mouth: :laughing:

aerosavvy.com/metric-imperial

aviation.stackexchange.com/quest … n-industry

Interesting links, so even the Aviation Industry wants to go metric, and the US government agreed even passed an act of congress, but it just didn’t happen.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is the governing body that makes official aviation recommendations. It might surprise a lot of pilots that for years, ICAO has recommended that the aviation world move completely to metric units (SI Units):

Back in the early 1970’s, America was on board with ICAO and ready to make the jump to metric. A presidential order was made and Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975.

And doesn’t the Aviation Industry use US Imperial, not UK, some differences especially in liquid volumes, so are you going to refuse to fly until those dam colonials use proper Imperial measurements?

Carryfast:
Let’s remove what remains of every national border and replace every seperate language in the world with one common language.What could possibly go wrong. :unamused: :laughing:

Well, this is what happens when people use different languages. Would a common one be any worse?

Captain Caveman 76:

Carryfast:

Well, this is what happens when people use different languages. Would a common one be any worse?

Erm… Immigrant?

(Dunno what the filters will make of this post)
Metric S.I. seems the easiest and clearest to me. I can do guesstimates in inches and m.p.h. too but do get annoyed when even the BBc report peoples weights in pounds rather than kilos or UK stones. Probably too lazy to translate from their US sources, I`d guess.
The only Olde English measure I do frequently use is the firkin. Sometimes as a liquid measure, used to measure beer barrels. Not always barrel related, the firkin is the traditional measure of excess: as in “too firkin cold” or “too firkin stupid”.

AndrewG:
Im starting a petition to get the whole of europe to convert from metric to imperial…so far i have one signature…

sign here at completelylostmymind@hotmail.com

Rather convert the other way, as we’re the only country in Europe still using the wretched imperial system, and using an inconsistent hotchpotch at that, with trucks having imperial measurements inside, bridges usually having both (though often wrong as seen in Wales recently) and filling stations having metric only. Perhaps keep miles for distance signs as there are too many of them to change, but shorter distances (yards) and bridge heights, we could change to metric gradually

Franglais:
Metric S.I. seems the easiest and clearest to me. I can do guesstimates in inches and m.p.h. too but do get annoyed when even the BBc report peoples weights in pounds rather than kilos or UK stones. Probably too lazy to translate from their US sources, I`d guess.
The only Olde English measure I do frequently use is the firkin. Sometimes as a liquid measure, used to measure beer barrels. Not always barrel related, the firkin is the traditional measure of excess: as in “too firkin cold” or “too firkin stupid”.

But it’s worth remembering that a pint is the perfect amount for a glass of beer. Half a litre isn’t enough and a litre is too much. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

But it’s worth remembering that a pint is the perfect amount for a glass of beer. Half a litre isn’t enough and a litre is too much. :wink:

and it would be strange asking a landlord for 1/2 a litre of your finest ale, Please. :laughing: although a litre seems to go down well in Germany and even some places I’ve been to in Belgium. :smiley:

muckles:
Back in the early 1970’s, America was on board with ICAO and ready to make the jump to metric. A presidential order was made and Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975.

And doesn’t the Aviation Industry use US Imperial, not UK, some differences especially in liquid volumes, so are you going to refuse to fly until those dam colonials use proper Imperial measurements?

The main imperial units used in aviation are feet and nautical miles and pounds all of which are the same in US or UK.

Yes the American government might have tried a few times to go along with the demands of the metric nazis.But unlike here those who are enlightened enough to understand the advantages of imperial measurements are in greater numbers and have resisted such zb more successfully.

muckles:
and it would be strange asking a landlord for 1/2 a litre of your finest ale, Please. :laughing: although a litre seems to go down well in Germany and even some places I’ve been to in Belgium. :smiley:

But again ze Germans are beaten by the heavier bomb load contained in 2 pints of ESB. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

CF please explain the advantages of imperial measurements, which one do you mean, Whitworth, AF, BSF, Fahrenheit.
Don’t forget the measurements in gallons, pints, cups, and a nice one fluid ounces.

caledoniandream:
CF please explain the advantages of imperial measurements, which one do you mean, Whitworth, AF, BSF, Fahrenheit.
Don’t forget the measurements in gallons, pints, cups, and a nice one fluid ounces.

As I said imperial provides numerous different measures for different applications.Which is why we don’t need to measure bridge heights in yards or have to use reference points based on yards whether it’s 1,000 miles or 1,000 th of an inch or cutting a piece of wood measuring 14 feet 6 inches.While lbs feet is a far better representation of torque than newton metres and pounds per square inch is better than 1,000 grammes per square 100th of a metre.

While filling a fuel tank in gallons and measuring consumption in miles per gallon is better than using litres to denote everything from a carton of milk to a tankful of fuel and the silly equation of litres per 100,000 metres to show consumption.All because grammes litres and metres is all you’ve got to work with. :unamused:

caledoniandream:

Be perfectly honest here. If I asked you what your truck was like on fuel economy, would you give me a figure in miles per gallon, or litres per hundred kilometres? :stuck_out_tongue:

Always Litres per 100km, mpg is no use anymore, fuel is sold in litres. i always work it out like this, its more accurate…

the older you are,the easier it is to work with both…its miles to the gallon…miles per hour…90 kms on the tacho…and you may have noticed on the pumps its always in litres as at 114pence per litre,its not so easy for joe bloggs to work out how much he is getting raped by the goverment as a price per gallon of fuel.

on that bridge strike,id say the important notice was 4.1m as it was the top of the sign…and the less mportant one was feet and inches…newbies may take to kms and metric much easier,once we all die off and ger bred into extinction by the illegals here,then it wont mater as itl all be metric by then,or whatever they count in pakistan.

dieseldog999:
the older you are,the easier it is to work with both…its miles to the gallon…miles per hour…90 kms on the tacho…and you may have noticed on the pumps its always in litres as at 114pence per litre,its not so easy for joe bloggs to work out how much he is getting raped by the goverment as a price per gallon of fuel.

on that bridge strike,id say the important notice was 4.1m as it was the top of the sign…and the less mportant one was feet and inches…newbies may take to kms and metric much easier,once we all die off and ger bred into extinction by the illegals here,then it wont mater as itl all be metric by then,or whatever they count in pakistan.

I think in Pakistan they would use the script with Hindu origins? The ones we Europeans copied.

EDIT. S`pose we could revert to good ole British I X V etc… You know Roman numerals…

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

As I said imperial provides numerous different measures for different applications.Which is why we don’t need to measure bridge heights in yards or have to use reference points based on yards whether it’s 1,000 miles or 1,000 th of an inch or cutting a piece of wood measuring 14 feet 6 inches.While lbs feet is a far better representation of torque than newton metres and pounds per square inch is better than 1,000 grammes per square 100th of a metre.

While filling a fuel tank in gallons and measuring consumption in miles per gallon is better than using litres to denote everything from a carton of milk to a tankful of fuel and the silly equation of litres per 100,000 metres to show consumption.All because grammes litres and metres is all you’ve got to work with. :unamused:

Yes but you haven’t answered my question: WHY is it better■■?

Harry Monk:

caledoniandream:

Be perfectly honest here. If I asked you what your truck was like on fuel economy, would you give me a figure in miles per gallon, or litres per hundred kilometres? :stuck_out_tongue:

I would quote you km/ litre
It’s easy your odometer in the truck tells you km, the fuel pump tell you litres, so divide km by litres and you have your answer.
No conversions to do, straight forward.

My old gaffer told me years ago, don’t look for ways to make it difficult, try always to make it as easy as possible.

If you calculate you tank to tank, you have to convert the reading on your odometer to miles and the litres you put in your tank to gallons.
What is easier■■?

dieseldog999:
on that bridge strike,id say the important notice was 4.1m as it was the top of the sign…and the less mportant one was feet and inches.

If feet and inches is supposedly less important why does the law state that vehicles must be fitted with a height indicator in imperial.

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

Yes but you haven’t answered my question: WHY is it better■■?

I have clearly answered your question.IE numerous types of measurement references that suit different applications.If you don’t like it that’s not my problem.Although it’s no surprise that Euroland is still acting true to form in trying to impose its bs measurement standards on us.Including indoctrination of the younger generation by removing the imperial measurement system from the education regime.