Mersey Tunnels (Wallasey) - Weight/Length Restriction

This is as confusing as hell. I set myself a mission to get to the bottom of this, but so far, no luck.

merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/faq.php

1. What is the maximum gross vehicle weight permitted in either of the tunnels?
    For the Queensway (Birkenhead) Tunnel the maximum permitted gross vehicle weight is 3.5 tonnes, except for local bus services and emergency vehicles.
    For the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel, the maximum permitted gross vehicle weight is 38 tonnes.
    Anything above that weight may still travel subject to prior approval based on a load calculation basis.
    For further details please email tag@merseytravel.gov.uk

and

1. What are the permitted size/dimensions of a vehicle through either of the Mersey Tunnels
    For vehicles using the Birkenhead (Queensway) Tunnel then the maximum permitted vehicle dimensions are 3.9m in height, 2.7m in width and 12m in length.
    For vehicles using the Wallasey (Kingsway) Tunnel then the maximum permitted vehicle dimensions are 5m in height, 2.9m in width and 12.2m in length.
    For vehicles and trailers the maximum combined length (including any load or loads and drawbar) is 18.3 metres

So, does the “Length” limit of 12.2m not apply to Trailers and the combination has to be less than 18.3?

Also, the MGW of 38 Tonnes, neither of these are signposted, so how the hell are drivers supposed to know?

I’ve always read the length limits to mean that any standard HGV can use it - iirc the max length for a rigid is 12m, although a w&d transporter with vehicles over the peak and hanging off the arse end would probably be over. Dunno about the weight limit, whenever I’ve used it there’s been plenty of 6 axlers using it.

Never seen that 38 tonne limit and used to go through there nearly every week close to 44t with the police ■■■■■■ for haz loads and they’ve never said anything. Nor have I ever been asked about the length. All sounds a load of ■■■■■■■■ that they never enforce, seems pointless having the restrictions there if they’re ignored.

Rob_efc:
seems pointless having the restrictions there if they’re ignored.

Or even signed…

Like I said, how can they enforce it without signposted restrictions?

They just sit and wait and then throw the book at any poor sod that’s involved in anything. Bit like a man trap. :slight_smile:

Can’t see the point in the length restrictions as its a straight road!,none of those weight/length is signposted on approach so they would have no chance of prosecuting you for it anyway…what do they expect you to do pull up and check the website at the booths :smiley:

I think it’s old weight limits that have never been updated…I go through kingsway regularly at 44tonnes.

We used to send tankers through at 44t gross daily up until a few years back, and they had to stop and show their paperwork to plod. We only stopped when the tunnel hazard regs came in, and now we can’t go that way any more. Nobody ever said a word, I guess it’s an old copy of the rules that’s never been updated.

The only weight limit sign is an 11T axle limit, very cleverly positioned just as you enter the tunnel with no-where else to go :confused:

There is a sign when you approach that states “Mersey tunnel procedures/restrictions apply” (not 100% sure which one it is, but along those lines.)

A bit of a “catch all”, I agree but ignorance of the weight limit is no defence. You are right though, there is no dedicated 38t limit sign, so if you wanted to take it further with a good solicitor, you may well get somewhere, not keeping my fingers crossed.

You would hate to go through at 44t and cause a fender bender or worse…

used it many times at 44T no issues at all but my sat nav thins its 38 tonn but i think that was pre 44 t increase

bjd:
used it many times at 44T no issues at all but my sat nav thins its 38 tonn but i think that was pre 44 t increase

Your satnav is right, you are wrong, it has always been 38t, you need pre approval to run at 44t through it.

Ignorance is no defence.

wheelnutt:

bjd:

Your satnav is right, you are wrong, it has always been 38t, you need pre approval to run at 44t through it.

Ignorance is no defence.

Really well you learn something every day maybe the company i was working for at the time had approval but thanks for putting me right

bjd:

wheelnutt:

bjd:

Ignorance is no defence.

Really well you learn something every day maybe the company i was working for at the time had approval but thanks for putting me right

You need prior approval before each run, I don’t think you can get blanket approval. We never had a need for a blanket one so never tried to be honest.

I was going through it 3 sometimes 4 times a day again thxs for telling me

The link posted is pretty specific on height, width and maximum permitted length, but no mention of a weight restriction, so it would not be unreasonable to assume that national limits apply i.e. 44 tonnes on six axles on air. The max permitted length of 18.3 mtrs though does not specify rigid length, so whether you could go through with an 18mtr load on might be open to discussion. We used to, and never got pulled.

bigchief:
The link posted is pretty specific on height, width and maximum permitted length, but no mention of a weight restriction, so it would not be unreasonable to assume that national limits apply i.e. 44 tonnes.

merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/faq.php#21

For the Kingsway (Wallasey) Tunnel, the maximum permitted gross vehicle weight is 38 tonnes

How much more specific do you want it? You want it in old money?

Just because you got away with it doesn’t make it right, or legal.

When I first started on the bendys I went into the wrong hole :smiley:
A very friendly police man gave me a ticket the other side.
£180 fine my friend,■■■■ it up buttercup and don’t do it again!!!

Thetaff2:
When I first started on the bendys I went into the wrong hole !

Thetaff2:
£180 my friend. ■■■■ it up!!!

I may have had the bendy in the wrong hole, or I may not, however I did not ever pay for it.

wheelnutt:

Thetaff2:
When I first started on the bendys I went into the wrong hole !

Thetaff2:
£180 fine my friend. ■■■■ it up!!!

I may have had the bendy in the wrong hole, or I may not, however I did not ever pay for it.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: