Mercedes-Benz Actros

Just been told that I’ll be driving one of these next week. Never driven a Merc before so quite excited :slight_smile:

Can anyone give me the lowdown on it??

It’ll probably be a white one and have a wheel at each corner.

What model is it?.Mp3 or nrw shape mp4?.

daftvader:
What model is it?.Mp3 or nrw shape mp4?.

mp4… Brand new!

When word got round that we were getting the new Actros, I was (shamefully :blush: ) quite excited…first ever brand spanker and after driving an old MP1 Megaspace for a few years, I’d be able to compare new v’s old… Still gutless, still a crap gearbox/gear selection, that maybe because I have never liked anything auto and prefer ‘the old way’… Back in the day when we had to do it all ourselves and drive the bloody things, not point & go, crap radio, iffy ventilation, dodgy seating/steering wheel angles (for me anyway) and several other ‘old age’ annoyances. Drivers seat has armrests so not all bad! Plenty of threads on these units and many seem a bit disappointed with them

Yep ^^^ All badge & no guts !! :wink: :wink:

Makes me like the FM’s after all - never thought I would say that, tis comfy - I will give it that :slight_smile:

its strange so many say they are not comfy - I found them ok, gutless but ok.

Well had mine for nearly 3yrs now…And i find it a very nice truck too spend your time away in…Yeah it is Gutless.And if it’s the mega space…Sways about like a ship in a storm…But…Lots of storage…I find the bed comfortable too…Gear box could be alot better…As it sometimes takes it time too select a gear…Normally on a roundabout…But there are plenty of threads on here about them…Do a search.

Feel fast solo. Absolutely useless while pulling anything. Be quicker to push the jeffing thing.

Currently driving an LF. Has anybody driven both and can compare?

I wouldn’t get excited,In a nutshell, they are absolute crap.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134594&p=2113824#p2113824

And yes I drive one, 510bhp, wouldn’t pull the skin of a rice pudding.

And once inside, you’ll see that although from the outside they look very inviting (more so if it’s all one colour…hate the grey lower panels) and futuristic, they can be, determined by spec, very basic and cheap looking IMO. I can remember pulling the light switch out to get the rear fogs on well over 20 years ago…all very well & good if you also want the front ones on as well! And be careful picking up your travel mug…you may just have hold of the handbrake!

Actrosman:
When word got round that we were getting the new Actros, I was (shamefully :blush: ) quite excited…first ever brand spanker and after driving an old MP1 Megaspace for a few years, I’d be able to compare new v’s old… Still gutless, still a crap gearbox/gear selection, that maybe because I have never liked anything auto and prefer ‘the old way’… Back in the day when we had to do it all ourselves and drive the bloody things, not point & go, crap radio, iffy ventilation, dodgy seating/steering wheel angles (for me anyway) and several other ‘old age’ annoyances. Drivers seat has armrests so not all bad! Plenty of threads on these units and many seem a bit disappointed with them

your fnal sentence sums it up for me.

war1974:
its strange so many say they are not comfy -

When I first got mine I hated the seating position, you felt as if you were sat right up too high.
I like to lounge while driving, seat pinned down, backrest set right back, steering column set right back to steepest angle (Scanias are excellent for this)
I’m used to it now but even with the seat pinned down to lock I still feel sat up too high.

Just notice how a lot of Actros drivers look like they are sat up in the sky, like on some kind of special orthopedic seat or something. Then double that up with the, back rest set forward so far that their noses are nearly touching the windscreen, the hands set at10 to 2, with the hi viz (a la agency) to complete the ensemble, and they look right clowns :laughing: :smiley:

I had three, of various vintages, and loved every one. Running at 44 tonne there wasn’t a hill I failed on, apart from a shuffle on Blue Bank once. The gearbox was never ‘too slow’ I never intended to be an F1 driver, although once or twice they had a ‘senior moment’ and forgot to pick a gear for a roundabout.

As a unit to live in, I couldn’t fault them, although not doing general haulage meant that I didn’t have a load of kit to fill the side lockers. I could get all of my tackle in no problem. I slept on the top bunk, wider and longer than the bottom one, and comfortable. We were paid on mileage so getting miles done was the way to a good top line, and I was nowhere near the bottom earner.

I don’t know what any one else wants out of a unit, but it had all that I wanted. You can keep your Volvo, cab is still behind the times, your Scania, cos I never had one that I could get the seat right, DAF’ cos of that stupid fixed quarterlight set up which obstructs the view, but I have retired now, so really, you can keep them all.

My mp2 is quite quick enough for what we do.

How long did it take you all how to figure out how to adjust the angle of the seat base? :smiley: Even had a couple of regular drivers of them at our place say that they didn’t think it could be adjusted and have been driving them like that for nearly a year! :astonished: :laughing:

alix776:

Not T5RBK then as that thing trundles up Windy Hill doing about 25mph with an ECS box. All show and no go. :smiley:

Why do they have that nasty velour covering on the seats?

And why do they have a bloody beige dashboard?

Carl Usher:

alix776:

Not T5RBK then as that thing trundles up Windy Hill doing about 25mph with an ECS box. All show and no go. :smiley:

Haven’t worked there for many years though I did do a day in a scania last month. Most things struggle up there when there maxed out at 44 tons.
Having said that my 1844 flies up there with afull trailer on the limiter with plenty to spare